Why does my system boot slowly?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by archaicdude, May 14, 2010.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Well, I have a IDE/SATA mix and it doesn't affect my HDD speed... (all HDD are SATA and IDE for DVD drives).

deltatux

2. archaicdude

archaicdude Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 9600GT 512MB
    Hmmm, well, where I live, I get mostly Seagate and WD.

Primary is the WD Black Edition, right ??
    I guess, then, UDMA 6 is the maximum.

Also, I read somewhere that if I have a SATA II drive but it shows working in some other mode (IDE), there will be no performance loss, then why did the performance of my HDD increased when I switched to AHCI mode from IDE.

Note that the performance of only 80GB HDD increased when switched to AHCI mode, the others remained more or less the same.

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    According to my SAMSUNG drive UDMA7 is the maximum for it.

AHCI mode allows Native Command Queuing which makes it run faster and introduces less wear and tear to the hard drive. More on this here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing

SAMSUNG F3s will beat the snot out of Western Digital Blacks. Basically they have the fastest hard drive series for 7200 RPM.

deltatux

4. archaicdude

GPU:
    Zotac 9600GT 512MB
    So that finalizes it, my drives are running as fast as they can with the exception of the 80GB HDD.
    I'm gonna replace that. Even then, after enabling AHCI mode, my system boot time decreased!! Now, it boots in about 55-60 seconds instead of the 75-80 sec it took in IDE mode.

Wow,I didn't know that Samsung drives were the fastest drives in the market (after the Raptors,of course). I just thought that Seagate and WD had the most awesome drives...silly me.
    Next time, it'll be a Samsung F3 HDD on my list.

Thanks for helping out all of you esp. Delta.

Off topic: Can we delete our own threads, if yes, how ?
    If no, why not ?

5. SaberJ2X

SaberJ2X Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 3070
    I usually just reset the ram and it's all better then...

makes the hackintosh boot up (and fast), turn off again

6. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    No problem man.

As for deleting your own threads, you can't, this is standard security practice for most forum software. Just request a moderator or admin to do so.

deltatux

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    No reason to delete it. This thread should stay here, for people in the future who google it.

Never know, someone might benefit from your fact finding.

8. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    That motherboard wouldn't by any chance have a marvell ATA-controller on it, along with some extra sata-connectors (not those controlled by the ICH), would it?

I found on my P5Q premium that when I forgot to disable that ata controller in bios, windows would add 30 seconds to its boot time, just waiting for ata-devices (that aren't there!) to settle som it could probe for them again. And again. And again. And it would give my sata disks performance similar to what you're seeing, and given that the real speeds are these:

[​IMG]

(System drive)

[​IMG]

(Got three of these as data drives), I was rather annoyed by seeing transfers around 75mbyte/sec peak.

Check if you _NEED_ ata enabled, and if you don't, disable it. And disable every other onboard device that you don't actually use for anything. And make sure "storage configuration" is in AHCI and not "legacy", "ide" or "raid" mode. If you need to change storage mode, you have the delicious options of using a backup product with some sort of Universal Restore option (restore to dissimilar hardware, Acronis products have this as an option), the wonders of registry-hacking an offline system (to make hal.dll actually plug-and-play that your hardware config has changed), or reinstall. I usually go for the first of these options, but that is because I found that proper backup software is cheaper than hair-color trying to hide those grays...

//Svein

9. archaicdude

GPU:
    Zotac 9600GT 512MB
    Hey, thanks for those tips, I'll make sure to disable every kind of thingamajig I don't use.

About the controllers, here's a quote from MSI page:

10. sublime20

sublime20 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    W7 had an update a while back for a faster boot time, can remember exactly when or what KB # it was, but that cleared up a lot of boot time even on my older PC when i recieved my Windows 7 house party package with my signed edition of W7 utlimate

a Solid state drive kills competition in the HDD world from what i hear,(solid state HDD is probably my next upgrade), also try defragging and remove startup items

Last edited: May 19, 2010

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I checked the Seagate website and your drive does support SATA II.

This caught my eye though:
    Why was it repaired?

12. archaicdude

GPU:
    Zotac 9600GT 512MB
    My original HDD crashed, as it was under warranty, I sent to Seagate and they returned a different HDD on which it was written "Repaired Drive".
    Of course, it was not my drive, the serial nos. are quite different.

13. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    probably got a refurbished replacement ... just like those stupid XBOX 360 replacements which will for some odd f**kin' reason fail out before it turns a year old ... FML.

deltatux

14. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    He probably got a return where the logic board had been the culprit and replaced. It's common practice (in fact authorized seagate representative "shops" have login to seagate's systems to generate a new serial number for the drive+logicboard where the history is recorded in seagates end).

Those drives are usually just as good as brand new ones (they get put through extensive testing before seagate OKs sending them back, I should know, in my teens I worked at such a shop, and certified for the procedure). In some ways they're better than "regular" ones that during the testing, the exact calibration value for seeks to index-tracks is written to the new logic board, instead of the "preset table", meaning the drive often has better seek-speeds than the regular ones. But not much difference. ;)

So ... nothing like those refurbished xboxes of unknown qualitites, more like having your Bentley gone over at repairs and getting hand-made parts instead of the factory made ones, and hand made adjustments of the existing parts. (the "hand made" bit is what separates Bentley for R&R)

//Svein