10.4 5870 Temp rises

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by dabooga, May 17, 2010.

1. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    I just noticed how my GPU temperature has substantially risen since 10.3 > 10.4. My average GPU temp in CSS as monitored by ATi tray tools was 48 - 51. I just was playing and it was 68 - 70! No setting changes have occured since 10.3 so i figured it must be the driver, anyone else experienced this?

2. omri09

omri09 Member

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD4850 VAPOR-X
    Happend to me as well.
    But only increase of 2-3.

3. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    Have you noticed a reduction in fan speed RPM?

4. MadelineX

MadelineX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    Still safe temps. My primary card has increased with the betas, but only by around 4 degrees.

Do you use Afterburner for a custom fan curve?

5. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    I dont know what custom fan curve is, i usually put the fan on 35 - 40 on ati tray tools whilst gaming. The max temp i saw yesterday was 78c, thats unacceptable so i reverted back to 10.3s, back to a max of 55c!

6. MadelineX

MadelineX Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 295x2
    My fan is set to hit 45% at around 65 degrees and raise higher after that.

The fan curve in MSI Afterburner is a pretty nice tool. 45% is a decent balance of cooling and noise through the 60's.

[​IMG]

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    You're kidding right.

The only differences that would make one driver cause the temperature to go up on a card would be decreased fan speed, for acoustic reasons, or increased utilization caused by the updated driver, which now causes a game to use more of the card.

In the first case, you get a quieter card, in the second case, a faster one.

But you have decided to forgo these benefits...In order to have a louder/slower card in order to avoid having a card that is running literally 20C below its max?

The point is, that's the temperature its supposed to be at. 78C is a PERFECT temperature for a video card. No damage would even occur if you ran it at 100C, and you're well away from that.

55C to me indicates a utilization issue. That's barely above idle temps.

8. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    You might be right, the idle temps were identical on both drivers, but load temps wernt, is this normal? And 78c is a perfect temp for A video card, what about MINE? A quick google search says how anything near 80c should be avoided on a 5870, and if so, then surely i could OC on the 10.3s comfortably?

9. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Then your quick google is incorrect. Anything above 80C stock could warrant investigation why it isn't lower, but by no means is it anywhere near even approaching a range where it could potentially harm the card.

Stay below 90C as a guideline, 95C as a rule. But up to 105C is "safe" in that it won't damage the card, but isn't an area I would run in continuously.

And as I said, the most likely reason for the 10.3s having a lower temperature would be that they didn't utilize the GPU properly, or you had Vsync enabled. Perhaps reinstalling the driver disabled Vsync, this would also cause higher temperatures.

But since I'm not aware of any fan profile changes in the driver, nor is it possible for the drivers to simply increase temps miraculously, I'm led to believe either Vsync was/is enabled in your 10.3s or the GPU isn't being properly utilized.

10. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    i see, ill do some tests. So far i see portals performance drop massively on 10.4

11. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    Some more testing shows Portal does not exceed 35FPS @ 10.4 or the 10.5/6 beta.
    CSS slows down especially during flashes and smoke and other occasional 30 - 40 fps slowdowns.
    Idle temp at 62 Load temp at 78 - 84
    So i reverted back to 10.3s... i dont get it

12. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    with 10.3 drivers (no afterburner) my top 5870 was pushing 87-90c under heavy load (BFBC2) because of the fan. the default fan is way too low and imo ramps up too late, but i havent seen temps higher than 91c. i usually use afterburner and with a decent curve at anything above 60c the card doesnt go past 75ish under heavy load (BFBC2). all that being said i have crossfire 5870s pushing 6048x1200. 78c is by no means a dangerous area.

13. stenelaus

stenelaus Master Guru

GPU:
    HIS Radeon4650 1GB PCIE
    take the case off, mount another secondary fan close to the GPU, keep a fresh room with fresh air, monitorize your GPU temps to see the difference!

14. Dmented

Dmented Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix
    Thanks for showing this. I really like that feature. :)

15. dabooga

dabooga Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
    I have! With my window open, my idle is 25c on 10.3, but 55c on 10.4. I dont really like that.