‘Pre-owned a bigger problem than piracy’

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Liranan, May 14, 2010.

1. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Greed is good.

If this were to happen to cars, houses, bikes, washing machines or anything else that is physical people would tear their hairs out, burn their bra's, grab the pitchfork and lynch these greedy fools. But because it's digital and people just don't understand that they're the same thing as physical things greed prevails.

Now I await the ranting of people saying how bad piracy is when the developers themselves are admitting they want to kill the second hand market.
    Many of the comments on Daily Tech are interesting.

P.S.
    The fact that these tards have never produced anything of value is beside the point because their idea's are what drive the so called fight against piracy.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  2. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    Another excuse for them to make bad games.

When it's a good game (+1 for multiplayer), there is not point to priate it.

I guess EA & DICE had a good experience with BC2

3. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    it's this kind of nonesense that's killing gaming and possibly the world as we know it.

4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Not only that [​IMG]

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Quoted for truth.

6. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    What.The.**** is a "pre-owned"? It can be either a product that has yet to be owned by anyone, or then it can mean a product that has been owned by someone. I'm guessing the latter in this case >_>

This is such cock**** that it's unbelievable. I mean, yea, I use Steam but that was my choice. What I don't like is bigass corporations using this as an excuse to violate a number of laws.

7. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Seriously? Pre Owned games are what I usually always buy. Its just greed, and they blame everyone and everything else but themselves.

8. charliehamster

charliehamster Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX-1070
    So EA are essentially saying that piracy is the lesser of the two evils.

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    **** them!!!

10. Chesty_Puller

Chesty_Puller Member Guru

lol @ these clowns turning video games into consumables.

They only get away with it because their core audience are stupid kids and neckbeards.

11. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    [​IMG]

And on that note, I will be using my Demonoid account...

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  12. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    To be fair, games are things you never own in the first place. You are purchasing a license agreeing to use the software, in this case a game, as per defined by the licensing agreement. I'm not sure why that is always brought up with PC games while cosole games are sold used everywhere even though both are under the same legal status. Both install most of the time as well at this point. So while I understand their position from a legal standpoint that doesn't make it any less of a rip for the consumer. While I do not sell my games, I figure transferring a license for a small sum is hardly something to get in a tizzy about as we've done that for decades for console games with no hullaballoo.

13. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Their greedy simple as, unless your buying new they ain't happy.

14. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    He looks like a glitched android

15. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    [​IMG]

16. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    So, what you're saying is that when you buy a house you'd be willing to pay some form of royalty to the builders because it's not new and they're losing money? Also you'd be willing to accept that that house doesn't actually belong to you but are buying a license to live in it, despite buying the house, and that' it's up to the builders to decide how many times you can open the windows, how many visitors you recieve, how many birthday parties you can hold there (DRM, activations, etc) and they are permanently allowed to come and sit in your house watching you, in case you do something illigal? You'd be willing to accept that without their consent you'd be breaking the law and should go to prison?

It's all cute and funny when we're talking about having to be online permanently but the moment these insane demands are projected onto something like a house it all of a suden becomes unacceptable.

17. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Now that we know that piracy isn't nearly as much of a threat as Gamestop, I'm gonna stop going to Gamestop and will simply Bit Torrent everything.

Actually, hell with it. I think I'll just go to high school musicals now.

18. gloves085

gloves085 Guest

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 2080 ti
    Which is exactly the point, if you only buy pre-owned games, you are not supporting the publisher. You are keeping GAME (or your shop of choice) in business. It's re-sellers like these who are the true greedy bastards. Have you seen the prices the sell 2nd hand goods for? They make far more money from a 2nd hand game than an original.

Don't get me wrong I'm not fully behind the publishers here. £40 for any game is too much and almost forces you to trade it in.

Valve published some figures a while back which basically said that games are priced too high and more PROFIT can be made selling premium titles at much lower prices as volume sales go through the roof on their weekend deals.

19. chaotic1

chaotic1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowercolorHD6970 2GB dead
    talking out af their back side tbh , just look at some of the prices of steam games for the uk market

20. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Sorry but I disagree, lets say that PC games started being sold at $40 for the regular game and $50 for collectors edition, I guarantee sales will greatly improve.

I know for a fact that I'd be more inclined to buy a game for $40 than $60 (POINTS AT UBISOFT/ACIVISION!) Also removing the moronic "always-online" DRM might help just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit.