Thermaltake DH101 HTPC case. Help in replacing fans with quieter more powerfull ones

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by axeten, May 5, 2010.

1. axeten

axeten Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6870 OC Edtion
    Hey guys,

I have the Thermaltake DH101 case
    http://www.thermaltake.com.au/Products/Chassis/VF7001BNS/DH101.aspx

It has a 120mm fan up front and twin 60mm rear fans but the noise is doing my head in. I am looking into changing them but there are so many out there i thought i'd see if someone had already done this with a similar case.

I also wanted to add an 80mm fan at the rear left (when looking from the front) side of the case venting out where all the PCI slot backplates are (i will remove these). This is mainly due to the Asus GTX260 taking up the whole length of the case and basically splitting into two seperate sections.

Can someone please recommend some good flow fans that are still reasonably quiet. They can make a bit of noise but the stock ones are super loud when they speed up.

And yes i know a tower is cooler but i got this case as it sits in my tv cabinet next to my amp.

cheers
    Alex

2. Moegames

Moegames Guest

I have the exact same case.. i had to disconnect one of the fans because one day it just starting making a loud sound when it spins. I believe one of the ball bearings went bad...im referring to the back fans, if you press down on it..the sound will be quite again..but i just replaced them with some very quite fans.. are yours "orange" in color too?

I usually go with Scythe slipstream brand...very quite fans and reliable..thats what i replaced the front 120mm fan with...back when i first bought the case..

Then after the rear fan starting acting up with the loud noice..i bought some SYBA brand 60mm fans here..i went with the hydrowave bearing fan instead of the ball bearing because to me they are more quite but to others they cant tell.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835199013

Its quite now.. more quite then stock fans that were in it when i first got the case. Its a nice case man..i like it alot, regardless of the dodgy fans they are using it seems... the case overall is well built

You can just look at newegg.com they display the dBA for each fan.. http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=573&name=Case-Fans and read the user reviews that bought the product.. i use that some times as my guide for the small stuff like fans,etc.. the bigger stuff i buy..cpu, vid cards,etc i do much more research.

3. axeten

axeten Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6870 OC Edtion
    Cool thanks for the info. Yeah there the orange fans i have. The 60mm ones are the loud ones but since there cheap i will upgrade the 120mm at the front to one with more flow.
    Thanks for the info