is blowing down unto something going to cool it better than blowing away?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by death_samurai, May 12, 2010.

1. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    I notice that most stock cpu fans all blow unto the cpu but those 3rd party coolers instead have a giant heat sink and the fans face away and blow away from the heat sink.

Which one is better?

Blowing away or unto something?

2. hartofalyon

hartofalyon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    fans are suppose to blow on the heatsink. do you have an example of a 3rd party cooler with a fan blowing away from the heatsink?

3. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    lol /facepalm.

Theres a difference between the stock coolers, which don't use heatpipes, and aftermarket ones that do.

Without heatpipes, the heat goes directly into the fins, and often they're too small to have a fan facing any direction but down. Either way, in this case, down is the more efficient solution as it clears the heat from the fins.

Saying that, i've never ever seen a cooler that blows air away from the piece of hardware it's supposed to be cooling, that's just stupid.

With heatpipe coolers, the heat is transferred into the heatpipes and then into the fins, and the fans blow it away. Obviously blowing on to something is going to provide better cooling in any situation.

How is blowing air away from something going to cool it down? You need to blow cold air on to something to cool it, not hot air away from it.

4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    As long as the heatsink is designed properly, I see no reason a fan couldn't be pulling air through the sink.

Rads can be set up to pull air.

I mean, you're moving the same amount of air over the same fins either way.

5. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    That's true, but there's coolers even without "fins" of the technical sense. Blowing air away from a component you're cooling won't cool it, of course if you're pulling air through cooling fins, it's still doing a job as long as the air is moving through them. I think he's talking about coolers which aren't suitable to even be passively cooled, like the stock intel heat sink which has a fan facing down... if you face the fan upwards to blow air away from it, you'll probably increase temps massively.

Put a fan on a northbridge, you have it facing down so the air can cool the heatsink, you don't have it facing upwards because it won't do jack ****... lol

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  6. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    It really just depends on your setup.

7. Julepalme

Julepalme Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX580 OC'ed
    Not entirely true..

Yes you will have the same volume of air moving through the heatsink.. assumming you have a proper design etc..

Assuming you have only 1 fan.. theres still the tiny pressure differences.. positive or negative pressure when blowing or sucking air through a heatsink.. and the general pattern of the airflow (turbulence etc)..

But more often what you will see on more expensive heatsinks is a 2 fan system.. 1 blows 1 sucks.. attached to either side of the heatsink... theres probably a lot of trickery involved to optimize that aswell..

Generally though its a proven concept today that blowing air at something cools it a hell of a lot better than sucking air away from it.

8. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
  9. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    oh yes i di thermaltake, megahalems etc etc they all don't have the fans blow unto the cpu.

10. hartofalyon

hartofalyon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512mb
    i just took a look at all the thermaltake coolers on newegg and they all have the fan blowing on the heatsink. i'm not sure if you're confused about the orientation of the fan relative to the cpu vs the heatsink. the ones with the vertical fans are still blowing on the heatsink, which is correct.

heat is transferred from the cpu to the heatsink (fins) and the fan blows on these fins to whisk the warm air away, effectively cooling them down so they can accept more heat from the cpu and maintain a low constant temp.

i have yet to come across a cpu cooler with the fan sucking air from the heatsink. if there was, it would be an improper/ineffective design.

11. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    it really doesn't matter whether it's blowing or sucking, what matters is turbulent airflow across the fins. Whether blowing or sucking is the best depends on the heatsink design and where the fan is positioned.

That said, most fans operate better when in a push configuration.

12. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    There are aftermarket coolers that blow air sidewards.
    The heatsink is horizontal to the motherboard and the fan blows either to the back of the case or the front, supporting airflow.
    I have one and it works pretty well.

13. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I think hes actually asking, why don't the fans actually blow onto the copper block (onto the CPU) as opposed to blowing through the fins... lol

14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I have Thermaltake CPU cooler and it blows onto the heatsink.

The only fan I've ever seen suck air across a heatsink is a PSU fan..

Analogy: If you burnt your finger, would you try and suck air across it to cool it off? Probably not - you'd blow on it right...?

15. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    Put your finger inside your mouth, what would you do then?
    Basically, as someone stated above, it doesn't matter which way it blows, the airflow is important.

16. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Pretty sure he's asking the difference between a top down HSF and a tower HSF.

17. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    Ok, this thread confused the crap out of me.

I'm pretty sure my Stock CPU Cooler which is attached to the Heatsink (Cooper/Silver Block) is blowing air OFF the block and not ON to it.

Am I just totally off whats being discussed here or is my Stock CPU Cooler just retarded?

Something like this

CPU - Heatsink - Fan - AIR>>>>>>>>>>>>>

18. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 FTW

Should be like this:

CPU - Heatsink - <<<<<<<< AIR - Fan

19. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    Yea it makes sense to cool down the pins from the heatsink fins but mine seems to be doing the contrary..

Ill confirm it later, need to confirm 100% if the air is being exhausted or pulled in. If I put my hand it feels like its being exhausted..

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Q: Why do the trees in Pennsylvania lean west??

A: .........