Auto-Transmission vs Manual Transmission on VEHICLES

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mr.Bigtime, May 10, 2010.

?

AT or MT ?

1. Auto Transmission

14 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. Manual Transmission

69 vote(s)
    83.1%
  1. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    No, I'm saying it is a contributing factor.
    Sure, and you can say that merely stepping into a car increases your likelihood of an accident. But that's not the point. The point is that the combination of what you correctly identified as lack of general driving experience, coupled with transmission which you constantly need to devote some portion of your conscious or, later, subconscious mental assets to, does not compare favorably to a scenario where you only need to pay attention to the stuff going on outside your car (whose incorrect identification / evaluation is the cause of most accidents anyway) instead of inside it.

And to those that say it only takes several hours to get totally used to manual... Well, let's just say that my experience is different. And I passed both of my driving exams (theoretical and practical) on the first try, so it's not like I am a hopeless driver either.

2. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    I said a few dozen hours. Not several. It takes practice. By the time you are ready to take your license test you should have driven hundreds of hours and manual shifting takes pretty much 0% concious effort.

3. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    all this for a lousy car

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I takes some time getting used to manual gearbox. You just have to use it and eventually you don't even think about it. I don't even notice it anymore, it's completely automatic so to speak.

5. Taman Linkin

Taman Linkin Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX470
    usually closed, unless theres no one renting it. you bring your own car, fill in the papers, pay $95, collect tags, enjoy sepang full track for 3 hours. a bit pics. silver z is mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the only in track pic i got, my brother driving.
    [​IMG]

6. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I wouldn't even THINK about having anything less than an Auto in my 4x4 trucks... clutching while braking and giving it gas at the same time on a steep incline while smoking and a beer in the other hand is just toooo dangerous!

On the other hand, I can go either way for my cars - I've had automatics in my '74 Stingray that work well as long as they've got either a line-lock or a stall (at least 4500RPM), but that being said, there's nothing quite like the feel of the road under your hand while it's on a manual shifter!

Psychlone

7. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE

My opinion, if you lean to properly drive manual shift it forces you to pay more attention to your driving, you have to constantly look out for obsticals, ect while managing the gearbox. Thus you do not have a free hand to use cell phone, ect.

IMO it makes you a better driver to learn on a manual, but only if you have some understanding of how the mechanics work.
    I really doubt you even know how the hell the manual transmission or clutch works. ;)
    Or automatic for that matter!

Awesome! Must be quite fun.

Looking further I cannot find any track day type events like this that you can get into without being part of some car club.
    Though I found that autocross(cones in parking lot) events are held almost everywhere, I'm probably going to try to start with that. :D

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  8. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    So having cruise control turned on every time you drive increases safety because you are able to play more attention what is happened outside the car when you dont have to worry about braking the speed limit by using too much throttle ?

9. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Anyways I got laid last night while you guys were arguing about manual vs. auto transmission... Like it's really that big of a deal...

10. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    i got laid!

quick! to the interwebz!

Last edited: May 11, 2010

11. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    lolz

12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Left or right hand?

I could go and look back to get a full comprehensive look at the 'debate' but the gist seems to be that someone is suggesting an automatic makes you a safer driver.. seriously?

13. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Your mother persuaded me to let you guys know... She's a strong willed woman.

14. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    lol oh wow.

First posting on a tech forum about how cool you are because you claim to have gotten laid....and now the mom the jokes in a lame attempt to deflect.

15. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    manual = better milage (or power) and control over your car.
    auto = better for 4wd (big cars) and relaxing rides. Suv's and large trucks.
    cvt= worst. I remember my dad telling me that when he engineered for ford, no one could ever make a good cvt. They are always lacking some quality.

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Manual at work, AT at home.
    You can call it lazy if anyone wants, but lets not discuss lazyness if your can't even clean your house or the millions of other daily routines people go through between work and home and decide to take the lazy method. Thats all over the world, not just americans. how many manual drivers get lazy and skip 2nd to 4th gear or don't downshift to slow down.

you can drive a manual and still be too lazy to mow your own lawn. So i don't really think the Tranny you prefer is a deciding indicator of how lazy you are or not

Depends on the driver.

17. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    lol oh wow.

First not figuring out that I'm just fuking around... and now trying to act like a smartass in a lame attempt to deflect.

18. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    chill out guys..why o why fcking my topics leads to anger, anger leads to rudeness, rudeness leads to TOPIC LOCK!

19. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    [​IMG]

could not help it :D

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    lol dude :)