Auto-Transmission vs Manual Transmission on VEHICLES

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mr.Bigtime, May 10, 2010.

?

AT or MT ?

1. Auto Transmission

14 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. Manual Transmission

69 vote(s)
    83.1%
  1. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    Oh, absolutely. That's all I'm getting at there. Gas being cheap in the U.S. (or expensive in Europe, etc., depending on how you look at it) just means that for most Americans, the cost savings isn't significant enough to warrant the hassle of driving a manual over driving an automatic. If gas were ten bucks a gallon, you can bet you'd see a lot more people driving manuals, not to mention just smaller cars in general.

It's not necessarily a bad thing or a good thing, it just sort of is what it is.

That said, driving a stick isn't exactly rocket science. More people know how to do it than actually choose to. Like I said above, I love a clutch during typical driving but not so much during a grinding 40 minute commute.

2. Adicto

Adicto Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    BMW M3 has DCT too (I think they also launched it for their new 335iS), Porsche has PDK, Mitsubishi Evo has their own, Mercedes SLS AMG, Nissan GTR and a lot more i don't have a clue :p

3. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 core 216 soon
    Yeah, I don't mind driving in traffic with a stick... except when I wan't to eat... then I want the old automatic to free up my eatin hand...

4. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    For some, yes.

For me, I have no idea. :D

Aye, but nothing cheap!

Though you can convert some auto trans to paddle shift... Hard to find info on it though. :(

5. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    <--- never going back to manual I'm just that lazy.

6. WaroDaBeast

WaroDaBeast Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950
    You're aware that what you're describing is a very irresponsible behavior, right?

7. Denny-206

Denny-206 Member

GPU:
    NvidiaVanta
    Same for me, all of the eight or nine cars I've driven were all automatic. Currently I have a 93 Dodge Spirit and yeah it's automatic too. I wouldn't mind trying Manual.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I used to prefer manual every time, but after years of driving trucks with 18 speed gearboxes I kinda got sick of shifting gears...

Now I'm not fussed one way or the other.

Right now I'm driving a Subaru with automatic transmission, and with 206 kW All Wheel Drive, I don't worry too much about power loss or road handling...:)

9. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    another American hater so typical,guess you think every American is the same and bash us for no reason but to make your self feel better..I don't drive much and don't like driving unless I have to I usually put on 6,000 miles,-8,000 miles a year, and AT is perfect because I seriously don't feel like having to clutch every time time I just want to get in my car and get where i'm going.

10. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I hate manuals. They're a safety hazard, and they are ancient. It's absurd that people aside from enthusiasts still drive them in 2010. Good thing I get to drive an automatic... Would never voluntarily touch a manual gearbox again; I had enough in driving school.

11. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    hmm. ok TAT3, as u say :)

i my friend with his new Audi A4 dropped me to my office..its a AT Audi A4..he is very happy. he paid 4.000 euros to that MT vs AT..he is very happy.

12. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    That is why you're required to drive a car with manual transmission in driving school. That you wouldn't be a hazard.
    And I seriously doubt they're a safety hazard, how many accidents happen because of manual transmission?

That amazes me, not even in the driver's school?

13. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    making manual a requirement in the states would be fatal because a ton of people here in cali can't drive if their life depended on it.I see 10+car accidents a month by bad drivers that are using Automatic and manual which is sad enough and I will be worried even more if those bad drivers were required to drive stick.

14. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    If they were taught to drive a manual, they would definitely be able to drive automatic also.

15. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    auto is for pussies :p

16. Decane

Decane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    The first 3 years after receiving a driver's license are, statistically, by far the riskiest in terms of your chance of getting into an accident. A significant portion of the accidents which do occur are because of insufficient attention paid to your immediate surroundings. Having to constantly switch transmission phase back and forth doesn't exactly help remedy that problem, does it?

I don't argue that this factor doesn't diverge towards zero in terms of its influence over time, as the driver becomes more and more routinized with manual transmission. But then again, the biggest risk-group doesn't consist of people who have been driving for 20 years anyway, does it?

17. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    @Xendance
    not from what I seen dude, and if they were what the heck happened to those lessons that were suppose to keep them from totaling their car?I never went to driving school and I am a good driver and have a clean driving record never speed cause I don't see the point and some of these people that blow red lights and claim that they didn't know it was red when they get their picture taken by camera's/being pulled over by a cop that witnessed them blow the light or going 40 on a sharp turn making the car flip and almost killing themselves and putting other driver's lives in danger.come over to California for a year and you will see all the accidents I see and you would be disgusted on how many DL(Driver License) the DMV gives out to the bad drivers.

18. gurusan

gurusan Master Guru

GPU:
    5850 @ 1000MHz
    You don't have to think about it...it goes into your muscle memory very quickly....just a few dozen hours behind the wheel and you will be very very comfortable with a manual. In fact it gives you far better control of the car.

19. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    So you're really saying that manual transmission is the fault, and not the general lack of driving experience? You could say that turning on turn signal can cause crashes, or friends on the backseat. Or that with auto transmission you accidentally floor the pedal and crash into the car in front of you.

Lack of experience is the problem, not the type of transmission in my opinion.
    But why gimp yourself and not learn to drive a car with manual transmission? There's no reason for that.

So your parents (or so) taught you?
    PS. I don't think I really want to come there :p

20. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    my dad only told me the right along with paying attention to how he drove.I had to do the actual learning to drive on my own and he only gave me tips here and there when I asked when he was driving.