Auto-Transmission vs Manual Transmission on VEHICLES

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Mr.Bigtime, May 10, 2010.

?

AT or MT ?

1. Auto Transmission

14 vote(s)
    16.9%
  2. Manual Transmission

69 vote(s)
    83.1%
  1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I was never taught to drive using stick shift, so I use automatic transmission.

deltatux

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Depends on the car. And the mood or need at the moment. Driving a mediocre car to the grocery store, then auto. If a sporty, responsive car, manual.

3. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    LOL neither was I. I taught myself on the last new car I bought. It's really not difficult.

4. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    Automatics are mostly mechanical, the ECU tells it when to upshift/downshift pending on the year. Earlier automatics have completely mechanical shifts based on fluid pressure.

Learn how the clutch works, made it much easier for me to drive a manual.

Also a basic understanding of how the gearbox and engine works helps also.

Edit, also if you are stuck with an automatic then learn how to launch with one. Can get up to speed quite a bit faster. :D
    (This can put alot of ware on the clutches though, avoid doing it often.)

Last edited: May 10, 2010

5. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Depends on the personality of the car.I have a SUV with an automatic, and I love it.I used to drive an RX-7 with a stick, and I loved it too.Couldn't imagine having automatic in a little sports car, and a stick in a family vehicle would be a PIA.
    Both are great, and the sick shift becomes so second nature, it's no work at all, so I say either is great, if it fits the car.

6. Taman Linkin

Taman Linkin Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX470
    well i dont know... im not european. im asian lol. at my place ( malaysia ), sepang open full track as long theres nobody renting it. usually on saturday and sunday.

7. Ajoobajabajeeba

Ajoobajabajeeba Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 465
    I only drive VWs, my Bus and GTI are both manuals, 4 and 6 speed respectively

8. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    MT every time, mind you saying that I can stick my car in fourth at 15mph and then not have to change again until I hit 80. Not that I hit 80 what with the legal speed limit being 70 ;)

9. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    More offtopicness...

So usually the track is just open? You bring your own car and you do not have to have registration or anything? I'm assuming there is a fee, but is to be expected. Also guessing there are some regulations.

Am very interested since I live near Mazda's Leguna Seca race course, and all the info I can find is that its $8,000 to rent it for a day. Thats twice what I payed for my car!!!

10. Adicto

Adicto Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    I can't even drive still :p (Too young)
    I'm rooting for AT but i surely wanna give Manual a try man!!

11. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Semi-automatic with a full automatic mode that can be switched on or off is what I meant with 'both' of course lol.

12. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX260 core 216 soon
    Manual for me.

Since I started driving all our cars have been manual, save one automatic, which was a nice car, but just not that fun.

Almost no one here knows how to drive a manual, which amazes me because its really not that hard... :s

****ing Americans...

13. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    Oh, bull****. Just about everyone I know can drive stick, but most people simply prefer not to. And manuals can be anywhere from difficult to impossible to find on the vast majority of vehicles in prices ranges that aren't targeted at teenagers.

I generally prefer a manual by a long shot, depending on the vehicle, but they're a certainly somewhat more of a headache during long stop-and-go commutes.

I didn't choose a poll option because it depends on the car and the situation.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  14. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    ^ I find that amazing man... comparing an urban setting to rural North Dakota... and more people can drive manual there?

Thats sad lol...

15. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    What does that have to do with anything? I grew up in a small town in northwest Iowa and learning to drive stick was mandatory during driver's ed. I'd wager that small town people are far more likely to be proficient with a clutch than suburbanites.

16. MM10X

MM10X Guest

GPU:
    3080 FE
    Hey now man, I drive auto but only because there was no manual cars at the dealer when we went to get a car!!!

Plus I just dropped $3k just to have a car with a manual trans! And its not even running! bwaha.

Almost agreed, though here in the bay area almost everyone drives automatic and does not know how to drive manual.

And manual shift are getting rarer to find!! Quite annoying.

Though on another thought, I do think dual clutch paddle gear boxes are the future. I do prefer them over manual!(Ferrari California has one, cars such as F430 have paddle but not the dual clutch.)

17. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes, thats what I'm saying... in essence haha

I assumed that many of the people living in Minneapolis were mostly brought up in an urban setting, which would mean less needing to learn how to drive stick. (an exception being you.)

Where as here, in rural North Dakota, one would think a vast majority would need to learn how to drive a stick. Which doesn't turn out to me true... about 20% of everyone I know has the ability to drive a stick... which is sad considering the circumstances.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  18. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    Oh, and paddle shifters are just awesome! :)

19. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    Well, it does make some sense given availability of manuals (relatively) low because gas in the states is so cheap. Isn't really much point in driving stick for most people.

20. Finny

Finny Maha Guru

GPU:
    I always thought manuals were better for gas though... :/

That is, of course, if you don't drive like a racer lol... An example would be the manual downshifting while driving down the highway and sucking up gas...