Quad SLI on ASUS Rampage III Extreme is not possible [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, May 8, 2010.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Recently we published our 3-way SLI article. The results on that test where quite flabbergasting SLI scaling is really good for the NVIDIA GF100 based chips and under the right circumstances 3-way SLI...

More...

2. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    You could always burn down the office another day:) Just out of curiosity, if you really want to shatter the 3DMark Vantage score, why not use LCS on the CPU and GPUs? That way, you can have more headroom for OC.

3. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Such a rediculous setup haha. Awesome though, silly about the mobo though?

4. scm2ejm

scm2ejm Guest

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970
    If the four 16x PCIe ports are not intended for quad-sli, what other applications do they have?

5. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    now that's űberkill and 2x 1200w :micro:. damn those asus mofos:no: tricked you

6. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    Very few. It's a gimic, really. The four slots are phsyicly x16, but as noted in the article, without additonal chips to add additional PCIe 2.0 lanes there's just not enough bus bandwidth on-board to drive four GTX 480s. All the X58-based board have this limitation. Intel needs to make a succesor to the X58 (call it X59 or X68) chip with additional PCIe 2.0 lanes on-chip so we can get over this limitation.

I suppose you could put each slot in x4 mode and drop a mid-to-low-end card in there to have each card drive two monitos each, for a total of eight monitors. I'm sure someone out there has a need for such a thing... but it's not me. :grin:

7. tuco

tuco Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 460's
    I asked about x16 slots in another thread, and i forgot about PCIE soundcards.

8. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    The board supports crossfire, and crossfire supports four cards. Though I suspect that is perhaps not supported for the same reason.

So the only other bit I can think of would be three way SLI and a RAID card or something.

I guess it's a case of rather have too many PCI-E ports than too few.

9. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    what is the fuss all about?
    there is always quad-fire using two HD 5970 untill nvidia comes up with a gtx 495 by september.
    what about four individual HD 5870 ?

10. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    I was thinking about this board supporting 4 way SLI a few week ago.

apparently,I was thinking If the board doesn't give you the SLI bridge for 4-way, It's
    likely it doesn't support it.

11. Spetznaz

Spetznaz Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT 512MB @ 750
    The Asus p6t7 ws supercomputer has two nf200 chips. Wouldn't that work?

12. Rik55

Rik55 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS HD4850 700/1100MHz
    I think Asus p6t7 ws supercomputer can now do 4way sli, with a newly released BIOS update.

13. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Good Freakin' Gosh that looks cool!!......

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  14. TheSarge

TheSarge Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 TI FT
    It's a test bed.

15. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    No, I mean the board loaded with it all. The test bed looks pretty freakin' cool too though. :)

16. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    The supercomputer mainboard has 7 PCI-e x16 slots so I guess that means you should probably fill it up with a combination of one Quadro FX 3800 (single slot) and four Tesla C1060 (dual slot) cards but I have no idea whether or not it would be a good idea to mainly play games on, I'm afraid.

The Rampage III Extreme will still be superior for gaming with Nvidia I think, because three GTX480 cards in 3-way SLI will scale better than four HD5870 cards in Quad-fire or one HD5970 card and two HD5870 cards in Tri-fire. The fourth PCI-e slot could still be used for a soundcard but since there's already S/PDIF the best choice would perhaps instead be a high end SATA III RAID controller card (with a LAN port on it possibly also) or a high end LAN card.

17. gloves085

gloves085 Guest

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 2080 ti
    Always research your cards before going for the next step up. I got the eVga 3-way classified and was very disappointed when I realised that with 2xGTX280s I had x16 PCIe, but hen I added the 9800GT for Physx I dropped to x16,x8,x8. Convinced I had done something wrong I did a little more research and discovered that whilst the original X58 classified had the nf200 chip my version did not. in practice with my rig it actually makes very little difference. But I do wish they were a little clearer about how many PCIe lanes were available.

18. Norvekh

Norvekh Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080 Ti
    Good to see an article is forthcoming, hopefully. Like you say, it's not because it's efficient but just to show it can be done. Too bad about that board though.

19. jeffmorris

jeffmorris Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 760
    Who makes the huge CPU fan/heatsink? Is it for Intel I7 CPUs on LGA 1366 socket?

20. Lutfi

Lutfi Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870X2 Trifan
    i think, the 4 pcie 16x is just for the 3way sli + physx.. hmm.. maybe they will include in next bios update.. but, the 4way sli connector? maybe need to ask the evga to give you.. hehehe :D