Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz overclocking?

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by axeten, May 6, 2010.

1. axeten

axeten Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6870 OC Edtion
    Hey all,

I just built up a new PC and have clocked my 3.4GHz Phenom II to 3.8GHZ and set the voltage to 1.45volts. If i go any higher with the multiplier it just keeps resetting before i get to windows.

It is in a HTPC case as it plugs into my TV. I have a Xigmatek "AIO" watercooler installed.

I'm only new to overclocking so still have to read up a bit. Just wondering if anyone else had this processor and had any suggestions, or is this the highest i will get it?

Also, what is the sort of temperature i can safely run the CPU at when overclocking?

thanks
    Alex

Last edited: May 6, 2010
  2. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    you have just upped the chipset voltage?? you will need to up the cpu voltage abit for over 3.8 i think, have you played with any other voltages?

3. axeten

axeten Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6870 OC Edtion
    I think that was all. My mate is a computer tech and he setup a bunch of stuff in the bios and said when i get my water cooler to up the voltage to 1.45 and then start increasing the multiplier. Havent played with other voltages.

Is there a good write up somewhere explaining which ones to mess with and what the limits are?

4. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    There is a phenom overclocking guide in the AMD boards section, read that and should make things a little clearer.

You will probs need to put 1.4-1.45v through the cpu to go higher, i would keep an eye on temps at that sort of voltage tho, as its reccomended to stay under 55c on our chips.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    For 3.8Ghz you need (Or I need) 1.475v on the CPU voltage with the 200mhz x 19 multiplier

You dont need to change the chipset voltage

For 4Ghz you will need a CPU vcore voltage in the 1.500 to 1.550v range for stability

6. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Every chip is different, i can get 3.8ghz on 1.35v, so for 4ghz i wouldnt need as much, every combination of motherboard and cpu will act differently, you can test for hours to find the perfect settings.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    There is a massive jump between 3.8ghz and 4ghz in terms of stability

Try it, and test its stability with "Prime 95" I bet you have to up the vcore ALOT more than you expected to gain a stable 4Ghz

8. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Yeah im going to test at some point, havent got around to it yet.