Are you a Flight sim'er?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by ROBSCIX, May 3, 2010.

1. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Hey guys, I was wondering how many gamers around here are into Fligth sims? I have started messing around with them and I am shopping for some new controls...

Are you a fan of flight sims?

2. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    I play FSX and X-plane sometimes.
    FSX is a bit more user friendly, but X-plane has better helicopter physics, less stable more realistic.

FSX helicopters practically fly themselves. Get a joystick that's sturdy but offers little resistance, my joystick has a big spring which keeps it standing up, and it's horrible. It makes it hard to make the very slight-subtle adjustments needed for helicopter flying.

3. roguesn1per

roguesn1per Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Il2 1946

4. Alien C.o

Alien C.o Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 960
    lol@ all the simulator topic's coming up lately! :)

My favorite's are Il-2 Sturmovik 1946, x3 reunion and LockOn.

5. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    There is one helicopter for FSX that is very awesome: The Dodosim Bell 206. It is in a totally different league than the rest, highly realistic flight model. Not as good as Black Shark but close.

http://www.dodosim.com/

My primary sim is FSX. You can get some amazing addons for it (FTX, A2A, REX). My 2nd sim is Falcon 4:AF which I fly a lot online. I also fly a little bit Black Shark and Lock On.

I'm using a X52 Pro which is very nice for my needs. I also use racing pedals for rudder (nice to have for chopper flying).

6. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    FSX rely needs an i7 to run well, I play sometimes with FSX but the poor performance always holds back some of the enjoyment

7. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    Yep, I just upgraded from a system just like yours and now I can easily have solid 60 fps (with a few tweaks in fsx.cfg).

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    last good sim i played was falcon 4.0 , flight sim is too boring for me :(

9. Ph@ntom

Ph@ntom Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770 HAWK Twin Frozr
    I'm a big fan of flight sims. Currently playing FSX. I'm just really dissapointed by the real lack of quality combat sims. Or am I just unaware of some? Please correct me if I'm wrong.
    The best technical and gripping one I've ever played was Megafortress. That old DOS flight sim released like 20 years ago? It's based on Dale Brown's famous novel "Flight of the old dog". In that sim, you could control the pilot, co-pilot, navigator, weapons officer and defense stations. That was so awesome. A massive modified B52 bomber, able to carry AA missiles. LOL. What an adventure, even if it was over the top.

Then there's Decent 1 2 and 3. Will they ever bring Decent back? I also enjoyed LHX attach heli, all those Microprose flight sims and heli sims, Novalogic's F22 sims and Lock On.

To me the last 5 years or so has been really dissapointing. If anyone can direct me towards a good combat flight sim (not FSX), please do so. I really miss firing AMRAAMS, Sidewinders and what not :p

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I used to be into them. Not so much anymore.
    Back in the mid 90's, I owned quite a few of those games from Jane's Combat Simulations. I had a lot of fun with those.

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    isnt decent more of a FPS then a flight sim ? more like forsaken etc

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

Descent? Yes that game is more of an FPS.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they make another one. They recently renewed their trademark in 2008

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  13. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    no i found them boring :Dlol,

maybe space simulations like X3.

14. Alexraptor

Alexraptor Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080, 8192MB
    FSX+Acceleration+Addons.... and a 1TB HDD dedicated exclusively to FSX!!! :D

15. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I find them fun provided you are actually learning how the machines work. I am alos looking to get some serious controls for helicopters and planes. I want a racing wheel also so flight sim is not the only sim I like;)

16. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I borrowed that game from a freind and had the MSXL 4.X whatever issue...spent a few hours trying different things and it is still not working. I may try again today. I am using FS 9 for now but want to move to FS X.

17. Vandrende Pind

Vandrende Pind Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X
    I recommend DCS Black Shark and Falcon 4.

The next big thing in flight combat sims is going to be DCS A-10C. That's going to wild! :D
    http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_450a.html

Also the IL-2 team is working on Storm of War which is looking very promising.

18. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    Fligth sims are fun to who are looking for some more than "run and shot" ... fight to dominate a propeller plane in a of roll in mid of the hell of a balistic combat ... those who are played IL-2 know what I´m speaking about.

You learn to dominate your plane, learn to fly, learn to fight and learn to land with your gruyere cheese.

That experience fill up you thousands of times more that run and spray.

There no much lately but something great is coming this september, untill that I´m having fun with Wings of Prey, it´s fun.

19. Ph@ntom

Ph@ntom Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770 HAWK Twin Frozr
    WOW! Those do look amazing. Thx man, I'll keep an eye on those ;)

20. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    There have been no real decent flight sims in a long time. The best ones are old games and their name eludes me now.