Just told my boss to shove it...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by ManicOne, Apr 22, 2010.

1. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Good on you,you can't put a price on your happiness, if you are not respected there and are not happy then you have to let them know they can't treat people like that, often places do underhanded things like that to try and get people to quit, whatever their motives, it's good your out, good luck looking for a job, even if it's tough, you did the right thing for YOU, and when it comes to work that is all that matters. Employers like to believe that you somehow are indebted to them for them so kindly employing you...B.S.

You do the work, they pay you for it, that's as far as the kindness should extend either side.

2. Merton

Merton Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX760 TF 2GD5/OC
    I don't have a lot to add to this thread seeing as I am graduating in college in 3 weeks, but from what I have been through so far, searching for jobs sucks.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

3. JACK4HIRE

JACK4HIRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI Mobility Radeon 5870
    I have worked for many totally incompetent ass kissers who made it well beyond assistant. The military, law enforcement and social services are full of them.

To the OP; all I am going to say is that maybe you should have thought things through a bit before up and quitting without notice.

It sounds like you have a lot going on in your life outside of work.

Best of luck in finding a new job.

4. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    I hope your not a UK resident, as I cant find a job here for love or money. Hell, its that bad ive decided im only going to get anywhere by going to University. Ive not had one job since last September but applied for about 33!

5. The_AC

The_AC Guest

GPU:
    R9 390X
    You worked there for a year then you quit, then half a year later you join back in, then four months later you don't get a promotion. Of course he chose to promote others before he promoted you. This suprises anyone?

6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    if you would read, he quit due to illness and THEY called him back. Later, 3 NEW techs started two of which were freinds of managemnet and got promoted. So basically 2 new guys he trained got a promotion, why should it be no suprise? These are noobs, i see noobs come and go every year.

Its a suprise probably cause it was not right and he was the more important employee, been there longer even. His time off is pretty much irrelevant when completely new guys get promotion as who knows how they'll turn out. Its typically supposed to be about who is the better asset to a company, noobs may turn out to be lazy, call in all the time..who knows?. anyone would be mad about that.

now if they chose others who had been there longer, then i can see how their history of stability could be an asset on its own.

7. The_AC

The_AC Guest

GPU:
    R9 390X
    Oh, sorry, I missed that they called him after 5 months.

8. Adicto

Adicto Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    You did RIGHT man!!
    Hard working and they promote the still learning noobs? What crap is that :D

9. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    tbh, if I start my own business and work long hours to get it going, I may well decide to hire/promote friends or family over strangers. However, I'd make it clear to the folks getting passed over up front. I don't think I'd intentionally pass somebody over without telling them well in advance what's going on.

10. "Born"_*Leader*

"Born"_*Leader* Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTS450 OC in SLI
    I worked as a delivery Driver with my Dad at myDad's mate's Pizza Palour, I was there for 3 months and the pay was crap, but I enjoyed working there and I got to meet a really great Gothic Chick who was a few years younger (still in year 11) and I was 21, but she looked older, man she hated kissing me though.

11. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    Its a weird one because I agree with my actions (working for them 1 more minute was pretty much impossible) yet the obvious best way would be to get new work first. Its a crap/crap situation all round.

12. "Born"_*Leader*

"Born"_*Leader* Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTS450 OC in SLI
    One thing I know about that is it's easy just when you are ready to do it. IDK, I hope things get better for you man.

13. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Good luck finding new job. If work sucks, find new one.

[​IMG]

14. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Good luck finding a new job, just make sure to have a job ready next time before you rage quit.

I've rage quit before, but that was just a temporary summer job so it didn't matter. I just left and never returned, lol. They must have been short one worker for at least a week. I wonder if they had fun being short handed. :D

15. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    More time to play games lol. Hope your luck gets better!

16. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    jobs are hard to come by no matter what it is. At least that is how it is around here right now. I'd love to quit the one I'm doing right now but I gotta find something else first. The pay doesn't even have to be that great, just steady hours and monday through friday only.

17. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    Thanks for the support guys. Got a text that night from a coworker shocked at what had happened to me. As for other work, I'm in Aus so our labour market is quite healthy, and my credentials are good. Still I've been living in country territory for a few years now, so my "spur of the moment" act means I probably have to move back to Melbourne. And Tat3, you couldn't have put it better! I'm probably gonna commute coz a bit of home lovin is a necessity!

18. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    No matter how talented a worker is, it wont look good when their references are checked and found to have told their boss to f*ck off. It will appear to prospective new employers that the person is too impulsive or easily gives in to emotions.

19. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    That would be the case Alan except my boss isn't one of my references. She replaced my first boss (who moved into a new role, and originally employed me). I have his reference, the references of two other section managers, and that of my state's senior QC manager. Not everyone agreed with her decision, but hey they weren't my boss.

20. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    If the boss has good sense they'll give a disinterested/half hearted recommendation. Unfortunately most folks are idiots when it comes to things like pride, so they may still speak badly of the employee. There are two major reasons to give a recommendation in spite of the crap.

1. It costs nothing, most likely he's going to work for a competitor or in an unrelated industry

2. Lawsuits, if you say something that keeps them from getting a job they can demonstrate damages. Yes, what the boss says may be true, but it's a civil case so if they contradict your statement you'll still have to go to court where there's a 1/4 chance that you lose anyway and a 100% chance that the bosses boss will be pissed off by the legal expense.

binding arbitration? yeah that probably ended with the termination of his contract.