SouthPark creators threatened over episode withMuhammad as a Bear

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by KCjoker, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    NEW YORK — A Muslim group has warned the creators of "South Park" that they could face violent retribution for depicting the Prophet Muhammad in a bear suit during last week's episode.

The group's website has since been taken down, but a cached version shows the message to "South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone. The article's author, Abu Talhah Al-Amrikee, said the men "outright insulted" the religious leader.

The posting showed a gruesome picture of Theo Van Gogh, a Dutch filmmaker who was shot and stabbed to death in an Amsterdam street in 2004 by a fanatic angered by his film about Muslim women. The film was written by a Muslim woman who rejected the Muhammad as a guide for today's morality.

"We have to warn Matt and Trey that what they are doing is stupid and they will probably wind up like Theo Van Gogh for airing this show," Al-Amrikee wrote. "This is not a threat, but a warning of the reality of what will likely happen to them."

The posting listed the addresses of Comedy Central's New York office and Parker and Stone's California production office. It also linked to a Huffington Post article that described a Colorado retreat owned by the two men.

CNN, which first reported the posting, said the New York-based website is known for postings in support of Osama bin Laden and jihad, or holy war, against the West.

Al-Amrikee said the posting was made to raise awareness of the issue and to see that it does not happen again. Asked if Parker and Stone should feel threatened by it, he said "they should feel threatened by what they did."

He said he was disappointed that publicity about the posting focused more on the potential danger to the producers but admitted, "I could shoulder some blame" for it.

He said he "can't answer that legally" when asked if his group favored jihad. But he praised bin Laden.

"We look up to him and admire him for the sacrifices he has given for the religion," he said.

Last week's episode, the 200th for the cartoon, was intended to feature many of the personalities and groups that Parker and Stone insulted during the series' run.

Comedy Central and the show's producers would not comment.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2011668258_southpark22.html?syndication=rss

2. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+
    I hate religious fanatics.

And I hope to NOT see Muslim-bashing in this thread. After that useless filth, magicdave26, it'd be nice to have this place not be bigoted and remain educated.

- PR-0927

3. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    I love that this Muslim group is so ****ing stupid in that they are pretty much making Matt Stone and Trey Parker right about their rip on them.

OH GOD I LOVE IRONY.

4. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Yeah, a new wave has come in. Been getting kinda flamey again. I almost got sucked in recently. Had a yellow card over a year ago and don't want it to happen again. Seens trolling is the new trend online. I step off once in a while cause it ain't cool to get sucked into that bit.

5. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Wait... they live in america but they hate america and the rest of the west? lolwat?

6. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    Bad idea trying to use logic with people like that. :) and by people like that I mean stupid.

7. anticitizen013

anticitizen013 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x R9 280X CrossFire
    I knew this would happen. I think they did as well. Perhaps to prove a point. I love SP and their creators are absolutely hilarious. Good on them, I say! Political correctness is by far the stupidest thing ever... I don't understand how people (in general) can be so damn uptight about every little thing. I suppose I better stop myself here before I get into a rant about how much I despise everything being so politically correct, haha.

8. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    its all about respect I guess.. I would take a different stand and say I understand why the muslims were upset..I mean you diss them and you expect them to not care and be upset if they are unhappy about it?

say between a group of friends or family, you cant just expect everyone to have the same tolerance on being made fun of..to those who are tolerant then fine I can play pranks on them or kid around them but to the ones who are not I will respect their sensitivity and be more respectful

9. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    really get over it already.

I'm not sure why your acting like hes the only racist person in the world.

10. dshramek

dshramek Guest

It is social commentary at its finest. Political & social satire. All they are saying is, nothing is sacred. All is fit for ridicule, & I agree.

11. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    SouthPark has made jokes about EVERY religion(and many people/groups/etc) they don't single out one or a few. Being upset would be one thing but to kill someone is a whole different level also.

12. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Go matt and trey!, if the muslim community doesn't like it then they can just deal with it, living in a democratic country, you have to allow other people their opinion, they don't have to like it, but they do have to tolerate it.

In aus a death threat is a jailable offense, hopefully the same is true in the U.S and they are either locked up or deported before they can act on their insane beliefs which as I have said before....are based on INTOLERANCE...as are all religions.

No one should be threatened with violence for a joke....and even if it were serious, as above, free speech, deal with it.

EDIT: I am not singling out mulsims, I am talking about all religious fundamentalists, I don't see how people can move to western countries though and incite violence against the west based on their racism and intolerance...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  13. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    yeah killing is too much..all im saying is I understand why they were upset..not all people have the same tolerance for being made fun of

14. PR-0927

PR-0927 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 680 SC+

Sorry man, I can never let that rest. Racism makes my blood boil. And he wasn't the only racist person, but one less on Guru3D is better. Getting rid of racists/sexists will only help at creating a more tolerant human society (albeit the attitudes will never be killed off entirely, they can be squashed to lower levels), and every person counts.

- PR-0927

15. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    IBTC...Just wanted to say that cotton candy is kinda cool!

16. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    nah man, that stuff will rot your teefs
    [​IMG]

17. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    YOW!!! Meths be doing that too!!!

18. KCjoker

KCjoker Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    Please people, let's stay on topic and not go down this route. Make a new thread if you want to discuss that topic.

19. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    moderate muslims may be upset but they would try to talk about it in a civilized manner, muslim extremists on the other hand would threaten or even kill, there's a reason why they're called extremists.

mind i'm not muslim or even religious but i do believe moderate muslims are fine and good people, the ones i don't like are the extremists, they can be dangerous and lie to honest believers pushing them to extreme acts (such as terrorism) in order to get their message through.

i love South Park btw.

:bugeye:

20. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Dude, this topic was doomed for FAIL from the start. The mean poster is not a linear entity here. There is no equal viewpoint and thusly topics such as this cannot be discussed with an open mind. They always fail.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.