What mouse and keyboard are you using?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BigBlockTowncar, Jan 30, 2010.

1. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
  2. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Logitech G5 first edition mouse(bought new mouse feet) and Logitech G11 keyboard

3. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I thought about a mechanical keyboard my self but then i know i press more then 4 buttons. so I dont know if they will register more then 4 button key presses that most non gaming keyboards doesnt.

If they do then I wouldnt mind getting a keyboard that will last. Since The letters on my MS curve 2000 is rubbing off. Right now I have no S half of a X and Half of a D.

4. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    G5 and G15( original version :) ), love both, great for gaming and just got the G15 in january, although the scroll wheel on my G5 is a bit rubbish now but it is 5 years old.

5. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    wash your hands more often. I have an MS intellitype keyboard that I have had since the early 2000's and the keys still have all the paint.

6. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    I have a Cherry keyboard from 1991 and a 66 MHz PC... I never washed my hands all the time but all the keys still have the paint and, surprise surprise: the whole keyboard is still working like I brought it from a shop yesterday (that's with over 5 years of constant gaming abuse and still counting, because I occasionally like to revive my oldtimers).

7. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Microsoft keyboard that was only £10 and is about 5 years old and actually pretty good since its had no issues outlived the others that were more expensive only lasted like a year if this broke down now id probs get the same again

As for mouse im using some £15 laser mouse which works fine only problem the middle mouse button tends to break since i use the mouse button 3 for jumping in games mainly

8. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    The polling rate of a PS/2 input port can be set to 200 per second, using nothing but plain MS Windows. Since the hardware has no buffering, there should be no noticeable delay at all with PS/2 compatible input devices, at least not if your games developer had bothered to correclty support your legacy hardware. :p

When USB was still all brand new and much overhyped, for years on end there kept being all sorts of hiccups and communication delays with numerous USB devices, including keyboards and mice. Lucky for me, I held on to using PS/2 long enough to bypass the godawful nightmare.

9. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    i do hope that what they sey about cherry switches being very durable (that the key feel wont change through time) is true. One thing i hate about keyboards is that the feel changes over time. My last keyboard was horrible, after 1 year of use most keys like the shift and space gets squeaky to press

before I used the filco i though my office keyboard (HP OEM) was quite decent..and it actually is, but the feel on the cherryMX switch is just a lot better

regarding PS/2 and USB, im not sure exactly which is better although my keyboard says that the N-key rollover will be limited to 6 keys and 4 modifiers if I use USB whereas I get the full N-Key rollover if I use PS/2

Im using USB though as I just felt its more simple to not use the PS/2 to USB adaptor lol besides, i dont see myself pressing more than 6 keys at a time

the FILCO does a full N-key rollover if you use the USB to PS/2 adaptor..but if you use the USB port you will be limited to 6 keys and 4 modifiers (so 10 keys total)..anyway who does that?

I just bought it for the feel and so I wont worry about the keys deteriorating over time

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  10. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    double post

11. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    yea.... never really saw the point behind the whole "limited key press" issue people seem to have. I don't remember a time when i was ever gaming and had to worry about pressing more than like 4 buttons at one time. Only time i can think of where i press the most buttons at one shot is say.... in HL2DM.... holding shift to run, moving forward with W, strafing right with D, and pressing space to jump. Hell... you only have 5 fingers on one hand, and the other hand is almost guaranteed to be planted firmly on the mouse.... so either way you'd only be looking at 5 keys at most.

12. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Yes, I hate it too when that happens but they have that problem well taken care of.

13. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    I was referring to the membrane type switches like the ones in the cheap keyboards end even the Logitech G15s and Saitek..hence i took the risk of buying the less flashy but more expensive Filco because they say the keystroke wont degrade over time

14. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    currently using logitech illuminated keyboard and g9x mouse (picked up recently for a bargain price of 69 aussie dollars) and love the combo :D

15. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    I'm using a generic Acer black keyboard and MX518 mouse which I despise with a passion. The right clicker dosen't work half the time and I have never been able to get the right sensitivity with this thing in games. Next mouse will be something different possibly from Microsoft...

16. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Man you have some messed up keys there. This is how I have been gaming ever since quake2:

<= left strafe
    >= right strafe
    M= reload weapon
    ?= change weapons

Space bar= jump

left click mouse= fire
    right click mouse= run

No stupid WSAD crap lol

17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I play alot of mmorpgs as well as fps and i be needed to hit more then 4 keys at once. For like either jumping sliding to the left and foward at the same time while either opening with E or reloading etc. I can easy press more then 4 keys at once.

18. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    I love the stupid, crappy WASD keys and I'm not going to change to some messed up key input in which the ALT key replaces the 'S'.

That thing called personal preference, that very strongly applies to you, also applies to others and if there's someone who has messed up keys here it's you, as the majority of gamers love the WASD setup.

During the Q3 era my thumb never left the space bar, though Quake 3 was an easy fps to play. Man, I miss it.

19. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    And what they say is true, I can confirm it.

20. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix 4080
    great! thanks..coz thats the main reason I paid extra for the keyboard..I just hate it when there are squeaky keys and that I need to press harder for the keystroke to register