Metro 2033

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Synks, Jan 7, 2010.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    DLC is in beta I think, haven't checked in a while but there are plans and one new addition is already under development.

2. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop

Awesome..Mr.Beckman always comes with awesome news :nerd:

3. Rogersdead

Rogersdead Member

GPU:
    Powercolor HD5850 PCS+
    This game is fantastic. It creates an atmosphere only rivalled by the Stalker games and is a tense rollercoaster ride from start to finish.
    This game made me finally upgrade my old HD3870 hehe

4. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Heh, it's basically info extracted from Steam via the ClientRegistry.blob viewer.

Here's the Metro listing with DLC1, Just Cause 2 DLC details and something about Mafia 2 as a few examples that might be of interest.
    Code:

[IMG]http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8591/123yk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/9642/1234hk.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1192/12345ak.jpg[/IMG]

(Can't be used for anything, just a viewer, but quite helpful to see what's going on with Steam at least.)

5. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Starting to enjoy this game better now.

Somehow i don't really notice any diff when physX is on or off.

6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
  7. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Mr.Meckman yet again..awesome stuff..and i knew it it makes difference...

8. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

Okay looked thru the vid. No diff at all even with side by side comparison. You really need to look very hard. Read the comments too, some ppl said no diff, not a big deal.

Edit: Okay after looking thru the vid again i noticed that there's more smoke after a grenade explosion with physX on and i only noticed that after reading the comments.

LOL, that's really nothing.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  9. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    ^^ the screens say it all, it does something weather you want to believe it or not.

10. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream

What do u mean by that?

Suppose i show a blank picture, just a white background. Then i show a picture full of detail like people, vehicles, airplanes in the sky etc. Then i put the blank picture next to the picture full of detail side by side. Now would i need to actually say it to you it depends on how u look at it to tell the difference?

I am sure even a partially blind person could see the diff bet both pictures. U see my pt?

In this case physX on or off is so hard to detect you actually need someone to tell you hey u know there's less smoke when physX is off? Then u go back and check oh yes that's true!

Obviously this means that the diff is so minute that it actually doesn't really make a diff.

11. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    What it does is indeed very subtle but also very light on processing so you don't notice much of a performance difference, it adds some more smoke particles during explosions and debris particles when hitting objects like walls or breaking stuff like those icicles in the example images.

Usually not very noticeable but also has a very light performance hit unless a lot of explosions go off thus filling the area with PhysX smoke particles but usually that does not happen often. :)

12. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    All right already at chapter 6 am i nearing the end of the game?

13. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    People seem to think that physX is abit gimmicky, i agree it is, but in games that use it properly i think the difference is quite good.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  14. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    I don't think it is, it does what it;s supposed to do. The pt is it's pretty subtle in this game and i feel probably most games. Most ppl probably wouldn't notice the difference unless they spent their time looking carefully.

Anyway i noticed that witout physx i can knock furniture around and they would topple just like in real life.

Someone else also commented that physx over did the objects moving around like exggerated it since it probably would not behave like that in real life.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The furniture being knocked around is still PhysX, its just the same CPU based version that is on the 360 version for example, advanced just has extra stuff, but it doesn't change how things react.

PhysX is the least of my worries when it comes to this game, i actually get better performance with it on, i took one look at it on release day and decided i would leave it till upgrade time, which is getting closer by the day :)

16. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    completed the game at last!

Not very satisfying, there's not much of an explaination and it was kind of lame. Unlike say those japanese capcom type of games that have to create some kind of super boss that's super hard to kill. One part of the game was even similar to resident evil with solving stupid puzzle crap. A bit of an anti climax the ending might be and there's no ranking system or anything once the game is complete but it's fine.

There's one thing i cannot deny about this game is that it really looks great some parts even had my palms sweating cos i was afraid. I guess this game opens the gateway to future dx11 games that will look great too.

Even though the ending was a bit of an anti climax at least it's different from those capcom japanese style of gameplay that always make their boss characters so freaking impossible and time consuming to beat and then put rankings and small easter egg things like different costumes, different firearms and crap like that.

Once the game is done, it's completed, finished time to go back to reality, i like that.

17. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    The AI is ..sorry but..SHT!

DARk, he is without nightvision googles, i shoot him with suppressed weapon from his back..he got a hit but dont die, suddenly he starts to fire to my position, even iam well hidden.WHAT THE HECK >_<

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  18. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Btw i read that there's 2 endings to this game?

Kind of tiring to replay it.

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah they're on Youtube if you want to see the alternative ending, been playing trough the game again in order to reach it myself but it's not easy.
    As covered it depends on those "points" you collect by for example helping beggars, you'll hear a soft hum like sound and there's several for each level, when you have enough the last sequence will play out in a different way giving you a choice instead of always ending in the same way.

20. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i think i got that sound several times...it happens even when u reach to some kind of hidden places..i mean spots..which also rewards u with stuff..