Why is marijuana illegal?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by crushilista, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Thug

Thug Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I am not defending its illegality, i am just trying to guess a reason why it may be illegal.
    If you have a better reason/guess than mine then lets hear it (along with your reasons for your guess), instead of picking fault with mine.

2. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    As I mentioned on the very first page.

The reason it is illegal is because people think they can tell you what to do, and that they know what's best.

So, people have all this false or exaggerated information, like how it's a gateway drug, like how all its users are lazy losers, like how anyone who uses it will develop a mental or personality disorder, like how anyone who uses it is beneath contempt because they seek to escape sometimes.

And because of all this, people attach a taboo to it.

So, given the fact that people accept that they have the right/ability to tell you what you can do with yourself, and their assumption that they are a responsible and good person, but everyone else is not, they assume it is better for "society" (meaningless phrase that cherry picks criteria) to make it illegal.

3. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    That's just part of living in any society. Society makes the rules/laws. You will never agree with them all. It isn't going to change, so might as well get over it.

I don't like that it's illegal for me to drive without wearing a seatbelt. I think it should be my decision as well, but there is no need for me to gripe about it. I have two choices:
    Wear the seatbelt, or break the law and not wear it. I choose to wear it.

4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    That is downright silly, and that kind of attitude eventually ends with everything in your life being managed for you because you didn't fight back, you just accepted it.

EDIT: What's more is that the marijuana laws ARE changing as is public opinion about it. Hello? California?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010

5. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    you're mixing it with religion, woops I'm out of here

6. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    There is little choice but to accept it, or move to another society that feels the way you do.

And how would I fight a seatbelt law? By ranting to other people and trying to convince the majority of people that my opinion is right, and theirs is wrong?

Here is a great example: Years ago I had a good friend that loved nothing more than riding his motorcycle. It was very important to him, but he hated having to wear a helmet. So he moved to a state that does not have a helmet law so that he could ride the way he wanted to.

By your thinking, he should have stayed where he was, fought the system futilely, amassed a huge amount of fines, which just gives more money to the sytem he is fighting, and eventually, lose his license to ride.

Its the law. Society majority decides the law. So either be a criminal, or move to where you can do what you want to do legally.

7. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    I didn't advocate him not wearing a helmet to show his disapproval of the law. I advocate fighting it in whatever way possible, attempting to change the minds of people one person at a time if you have to. Perhaps I've changed the minds of a couple people reading this particular thread. If I have, that's a small percentage of people who may now be in favor of legalization or at least less against it. That's a win to me. I'm not saying I or any one person can't necessarily do it alone, or even at all, but if you lay down and take it, or run away, you're certainly not gonna stop anything.

8. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    That is a noble stance to take, and I salute you for it. However, there is one is one fatal flaw in it. People are only going to do what they feel is in their own best interest, always.

Whether the subject is legal use of drugs, or the legal use of a helmet. People are either for it, against it, or don't care.

Most people don't smoke weed, so they are either against it, or don't care. In either case, nothing changes.

The few that are for it, and dare I say most them are for it because they use it, will be the out-voted minority. If there was ever a time that it could've been made legal, it isn't now. People are more and more against any substance, and harsher laws than ever. The "window" of opportunity you are seeking is shrinking more and more all the time.

These days there are less people drinking, smoking, and doing drugs than ever, and with each generation, it is becoming even less.

9. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    I knew we'd get to the point where people would either say:
    make it legal and it'll solve the problems or.
    by making it legal things will go worse

10. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    You see i would have to agree with the first part of your post, but if you really think there are less people drinking and doing drugs then you must not live in the same reality as I do..
    Alcohol consumption has never been higher, prescription drug use has never been higher, and hard drug use is still a huge problem formany countries.

The one thing that really chaps me is these phucking drug companies like pfiser can roll out a pill with every kind of side effect you can think of and then turn around and sell it legally, all the while marc emery gets extradidted to a us pebetentiary for selling marijuana seeds over the border to americans.
    i mean seriously our society could not have it more assbackwards..

Thankfully living here in canada, particularily the west coast, there are a huge number of people who use cannibus and our society here is quite relaxed about it.. people here know how harmless it really is in comparison to so much else thats out there..

11. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I remember I one time I was talking to the store manager of my store and some dude in his 70's was complaining about people getting votes to legalize pot and asked if he can tell them to stop and the store manager told him that he can't because its freedom of speech a and funny thing I thought was is that he a had a few bottles of whine.To me that was typical because seems like people who drink are such hypocrites and think that what they are drinking is so much better.

12. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Ding ding ding
    IPlayNaked got a jackpot! That is exactly what I've been thinking the past few days.

13. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    ^ too bad his prize for knowing the reality on the subject is people with no clue debating this simple fact.
    Not to say that there are people against weed who have made no decent posts.. many of them have very valid points.

What I can't understand is the complete and total denial of any points to the contrary of their beliefs. Typical really.. people will always shy away from things they don't understand and be quick to slander it before giving it a chance.

Such is the world we live in.. minds mostly totally closed off. I for one have an open mind and would try anything once. If someone wants to do something with their life who am I to judge? So long as it doesn't affect myself or whoever I love it matters not. People need to get a life and worry about themselves instead of passing judgement on everyone else.

14. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    Alcohol is legal. There's no hypocrisy about it in any way. By the way, was it red whine or white whine?

15. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Once again discrediting without argument. Your morals are better then mine :)

16. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    My rebuttal was merely to reflect an inconsistency within a presented argument that was based upon prejudice and "dreaming" that did not reflect truly upon given stances of legality and illegality and the differences between thus that grossly lacked cited examples beyond a perceived notion of prejudice.

It doesn't take a genius to see a less mature, "stoner" mentality, and rebellious standpoint against an established legal standpoint. Did I really need to expound?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  17. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    This is the basic argument...

Stoner: "Hey man, this weed that gets me high should be legal....and stuff...*giggles*"

Non stoner: "This is not a standpoint that I either nor longer hold or that I cannot connect to because a perceived lack of intelligent argument is presented."

Stoner: "That's because you don't get high, man."

Non Stoner: "Why should I?"

Stoner: "Because it's like, cool and stuff!"

Non Stoner: "What's so cool about it?"

Stoner: "Because it's like, cool. It'll open your mind....and stuff!"

Non Stoner: "My mind is open. I don't require a chemical to do it as I can obtain it on my own based upon a clear mind free of clouded consciousness."

Stoner: "Wow, man! You are out there!"

Non stoner: "That is why I don't get high"

Stoner: "Hey man, pass the bowl!"

18. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    I actually am a former stoner as clearly stated in former postings. It's just that at some point, you are faced with situations in life that present a deluge of stress that faces you to make decisions in a way that if you have a clouded mind, you simply cannot make. This is where altered states of consciousness can be achieved without the aid of an exterior chemical influence as the brain can achieve these things on it's own through reason and logic that facets the brains own tendency towards ulterior fantasy and imagination. What a stoner experiences when high can be achieved without an external stimulus of an ingested chemical. Seek any Zen practitioner. Not to say I am against getting high. I just accept the fact that in most countries pot is illegal. Like mentioned earlier, you either rebel against it and get busted, or you move where is is legal and then you have no problems. Or you exploit those things that are legal. So do not let my postings be either for or against. If anything, I am pro logic and anti illogic.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  19. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    This "conversation" has really nothing to do with, and no application to, the discussion at hand.

And whats more, the argument your attempting to make has everything to do with smoking weed and nothing to do with the legality of it.

20. Stromgold

Stromgold Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    Well said. You have made a legitimate point, and either side should be able to appreciate that.

Also, I bet you kick ass in Scrabble. :nerd: