Afterburner Clock limits

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by sideeffect, Apr 11, 2010.

1. sideeffect

sideeffect Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 3070
    Hi

I am using an unlocked 5850. Core limit is 1200 and Memory 1400 in BIOS and CCC overdrive.

In Afterburner the limit is 1090 core 1300 memory is there a way to raise it?

Also the Minimum limit is 545 core 750 memory. Is there a way to lower it so I can make custom 2D profiles?

Thanks

2. Herr_Koos

Herr_Koos New Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce 9800GTX+ 512
    I was planning on posting something very similar, so I'll join in if the OP doesn't mind. I'm happy with my maximum clocks since my 9800GTX+ is factory overclocked, but is their a way to lower the minimum clocks further? I know that in RivaTuner I can take them down much further than Afterburner will allow. How does Afterburner determine the Min and Max limits, and is their a way to change this?

3. coretweaker

coretweaker Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    How do I raise clocks on HD 5870 ?

Hi guys,
    I'm joining the crowd here... I've a Sapphire HD 5870 and I cannot raise it's clocks over 900/1300 limit while using the Afterburner (I'm not sure what's going on, but those limits seem to be set by CCC).
    Does anyone know if this thing can be fixed?

4. HaZe303

HaZe303 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Im pretty sure you need to raise youre MAX OC limit with RBE (Radeon Bios Editor) from TPU (techpowerup) to fix that?

5. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    S-HD 5770 1GB 1000 / 1400
    I know with the 9x drivers, Afterburner had clock limits which were removed with the introduction of 10.x drivers

Could it be a driver issue ?

6. sideeffect

sideeffect Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 3070
    The speeds in the BIOS have no effect. Afterburner seems to allow 150% over stock speed.

My stock is 725 so Afterburner allows me to go to 1080 even though the BIOS limit is 1200. Changing the stock speed might work but I'm worried that will cause problems with powerplay and multiple monitors but i'll test it out sometime.

That doesn't help with getting lower clocks though.

edit - I think Max BIOS speeds do have an effect but are overridden by the Max +150% rule so 5770/5870 uses won't notice so much because they can still get to 1275 and should just raise the BIOS limit to 1200 but on a 5850/5970 it could be limiting.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  7. Garrett_Wu

Garrett_Wu Member Guru

There is clock and voltage limit in afterburner for safety reason.

8. sideeffect

sideeffect Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 3070
    Couldn't the lower clock and voltage limits be changed though without problems with safety for people who want to underclock/undervolt and make custom 2D or multi monitor profiles for both ATI and Nvidia cards?

9. amdking

amdking Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 460 768MB OC'd
    Yeah, thats what I sorely desire for my 9800GX2 is lower clock limits. I want to have a nice 2D profile with really low clocks / lower power usage. Please allow this in future release. Its too bad these "limits" are forced in the actual software and cant edit them via config file / registry =(

10. mkchiu

mkchiu Member

GPU:
    It's simple to modify video BIOSes and modifying power control circuitry isn't with a cheap 100$ soldering irons. It's also very easy to kill cards by running power circuitry out of spec.

I have some instructions here on reducing the MSI Hawk's voltages beyond the Afterburner 1.00V limit, and the video BIOS 0.95V limit:
    http://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?topic=137595.0

11. Garrett_Wu

Garrett_Wu Member Guru

Sorry, but Afterburner is for general public, we don't want to hear a lot of complain about crashing because of higher adjustment range.

12. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    I've just now seen how this fanboy faggot looking for help with Afterburner has been attacking Unwinder (author of Afterburner!) for speaking TRUTHFULLY and ACCURATELY

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=320024

as far as helping him,
    personally I wouldn't give someone who attacks Unwinder the steam off my piss (LOL is Unwinder paying me? nah I just admire the dude and what he's given the community, whether zit-covered, homosexual fanboys :crapper: or regular folks :))

13. sideeffect

sideeffect Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 3070
    I didn't attack Unwinder I just asked some questions and asked for explanation about fan control which was important to know about for ATI users and the performance impact was not originally clear.

Disagreeing or asking someone to provide more information or evidence does not make me a fanboy.

Either way that has nothing to do with this thread and your going very off topic.

14. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti

As long as you keep your fanboyism outside and show some respect and gratitude for all the hard work that Unwinder has put into this then we can ignore your long history of trolling/whining/disrespect and subsequently acting dumb when getting caught.

15. jimmy545

jimmy545 Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 580
    Now youre just straight out lying! You know I can read and comprehend sentences! And off the top of my head, I recall 3, actually 4 instances where you personally insult him or question his integrity.

when a customer sounds like an EMPLOYEE, or takes a justified negative remark about a tech outfit's performance PERSONALLY, that's a stupid f***ing fanboy in need of a big ol slap!!

I have never been able to understand the concept of worshipping a CORPORATION. After all, all a corporation ultimately wants is to part you from every last cent you've got, and to screw you whenever the opportunity presents itself.

And I'm afraid it's got everything to do with this thread - you insulted Unwinder 4 times in this very sub-forum, and then display King Kong-sized cojones in requesting user support in an adjacent thread, for the use of the very program Unwinder has made available to you free of charge. Gimme a break fella. :puke2:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010

16. coretweaker

coretweaker Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870

I haven't yet tried that, but I'll certainly do that soon.
    Tanx buddy

17. amdking

amdking Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 460 768MB OC'd
    I didnt really want a "higher adjustment" I wanted to be able to lower clocks further so I can set a 2D profile for this card. Even not "officially" supporting it but rather allow it to be changed via a configuration file edit or registry entry, that the general public wouldnt even know about.