NVIDIA: GeForce GTX 480 was designed to run at high temperatures

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

NVIDIA who recently unveiled their based Fermi video cards with the GTX 480 and GTX 470 getting official on March 26 hasve posted some info on a blog. NVIDIA's Drew Henry explains on the company's...

More...

2. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    Sounds good enough for me.. I just went ahead and ordered a few.. I hope this is ok.. I'm really looking forward to LN2 testing with these cards but I fear heat may still be a factor.. I guess I'll find out soon enough... another record for guru3d?? I think so!!! :)

3. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    Oh well, Thermi is ready for high temps. But what about the rest of the components in the computer?

Well, "fixed Thermi" will do right, I guess. The same story with Nvidia always: first the crap and next the fixed one (e.g. 280 and 285). They should release the fixed one first next time, specially if they take so many months to finish their products.

4. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    Hahaha epic fail:p

What about watercooling these cards, should you expect the water to go boil?:p

5. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    The hard ocp real world test shows air flowing out the vent at about 150F
    So it seems like it goes right out the back of your case + the ambient in case was roughly same same as the office ambient temp.
    if water cooling used just plain old water, yeah... but it doesn't It uses something more like anti-freeze.

6. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    lol you know what I love about Fermi.
    Everything about it reminds me of the 8800GTX. The massive die size, the controversy over its massive size and its insanely high temps :D :D :D :D
    I miss my baby 88GTX

7. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Yeah because anti-freeze stops boiling.

Not really a problem if its venting out of the back of the case directly, and if your buying high-end gear its very much likely that you have an airy case with some decent air flow to compensate.

8. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    I've always wondered if its possible to stick a Peltier cooler in a wc loop to cool the water :p

9. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Yeah its been done, with mixed results.

10. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I'm trying to buy a couple of the eVGA Hydros, if they ever bloody come out here.

It's driving me nuts still waiting on a few parts.

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    And mine is still working, failed on me in november, baked it on 200° C in the oven for 10 mins and it has been working again ever since :D

12. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    With the only difference that 8800gtx was a BEAST

13. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    I've had a 8800GT who started to artefact after 1 year due to heat and It looks like nvidia is eating **** once again. One rule is valid and that's always: colder the better.

I really hoped for this card to be a blow to ATI but this doesn't happend.:3eyes:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  14. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Memorian, weren't you the person claiming you had an 'inside source' and that GF100 would totally annihilate the 5K series ?

I wanna bake it soon only problem is that I won't be able to replace the thermal pads on the vrms cause I don't know where to buy them here

15. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I'll only keep on purchasing cards with max of about 150w power consumption.

Everything above becomes too difficult to cool down quietly.

16. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    rofl

17. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Guys come on, it's hot, but if you don't know how water cooling actually works don't sit in here and claim a video card is going to cause the water to boil.

The temperature sensor on the video card has very little relation to the temperature of the water. At 95C if water were sitting on the surface of the GPU I could expect some boiling, however, there is a copper block between them. The paste and copper block do not perfectly transfer heat and as such neither are near 95C.

Further, because it takes more energy to heat water than the surrounding materials, the water is actually relatively cool in comparison and would be nowhere near even 50C. I don't know exact figures but I would even go so far as to say the water doesn't get above 40C.

18. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    If you used ethanol on the other hand....

19. Th3_Edge

Th3_Edge Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    Wow, Nvidia PR spin at its finest. It really doesn't bother me that much because I don't own a card long enough for the lifespan of the card to really have an affect but this is PR spin at its best by them.

20. thecake90

thecake90 Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    Good to hear :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.