EVGA 480GTX watercooled- max load temp is 49C!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bala_gamer, Apr 1, 2010.

1. bala_gamer

bala_gamer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX NVIDIA 1070GTX
  2. Adicto

Adicto Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 9600GT 512MB
    So this monster is tamable!! :D

3. Th3_Edge

Th3_Edge Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    Nice find. If someone wants to water cool them then this is a valid card after all. That is assuming you can overclock them. It is still a big dollar difference for the increase you get over a 5870 in most cases.

4. bala_gamer

bala_gamer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX NVIDIA 1070GTX
    I read in Nvidia website that 256 series driver is about to be released in april..it might give some performance boost!! Considering the performance of gtx 480 with current drivers, it performs well in most of the benchies, the only problem was the power consumption , load temperatures and the fan noise..

Once the temperature and the fan noise problem gets a solution(with this watercooled product) , most of the people wont other about the power consumption.....

One more thing is the overclocking, in air the card is overclocked upto 800mhz core and 1025mhz memory, with these watercooling i think the card can reach the 5ghz memory speed( the max capable speed of the memory chip in 480 :))

5. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Me wants :)

6. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    Lol you been talking about these fermi cards for months now dude and grasping at straws to make it a viable purchse. Here is the facts

1. Uses around 2x the power of a 5870
    2. Runs alot hotter
    3. Alot louder
    4. takes 2 cards to do tri monitor setup
    5. Most need to upgrade psu to 1200 watts to run sli 480 setup
    6. Costs alot more money

the good well it's 5% faster on average

and ya sure you can get any cards temps down with water cooling but that kit from them is just the part to allow water cooling. So to get a quality water cooling setup is another oh 400.00 dollars added allready to the high price of 500.00 plus just for the air model or possibly 600plus for that card.
    Anyways i was looking forward to maybe getting one but lets face the facts fanboy it's a failure plain and simple and anyone that buys one is a dufus. I do hope on new revisions they get things hammered out and create a good card to be competitive again.

7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    No info on what rad,pump ect what used?

:(

8. baby_UTE

baby_UTE Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 9800GT SLI
    nice i was already think of of WCing a GTX400s series card as i already got a WC setup so those temps look really promising, have have to look into this card and aftermarket blocks when they comes out.

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    People should stop using tri monitor setup as a good selling point of the 5870, yeah the GTX400 card do need two cards, but you can also do tri monitor setup on the GTX200 cards when the drivers arrive.

yelsewshane, sounds like jealousy to me lol.

Ah, that is a great lookin card, glad to see it works as well as it looks, nice and cold temps, very quiet, which means it can be overclocked very easily.

It won't be cheap, but it should kick arse.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    you should know better stop the trolling,.

11. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    well most of what he said isn't even true...
    anyway this is good news! I wont do water but at least cooling the card isn't an issue... the current cooling solution is.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, he is either a troll, or just mis-informed and just following all the rest of the sheep.

I just noticed the GTX470 has the roughly same power supply requirements as my 192SP GTX260, single slot is a huge plus if you want to SLI and 38c load temp is crazy, $500 is a decent price as well.

13. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yeah i have to just stay out of this hoopla invasion lately.

ot
    the block looks nice and seems to do its job well by the looks of it.

that water stuff scares me still thuo..

14. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Some post's make me wonder if people actually read the 470/480 reviews, so mis-informed.

15. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Well of course you would buy one card than 2
    for using 3 monitors it would save a good bit of moneys even you can disagree with me here.

16. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    LOL someone is butthurt

5870=188watts
    gtx480=250watts

Maths fail for you.

2/3.
    It runs 4 degrees hotter at load aka negligable difference, same on the noise.

4. Correction, 2 cards= multi monitor 3D ( something which ATI does not have )

5. Wrong again, 851watts total SYSTEM POWER for 480sli with i7/6gb/x58

There is a website that compared many benchmarks and reviews from the 480 and averaged the results for all the games and compared it to the 5870, it was 19% faster overall, and that is with RELEASE DRIVERS, the 5870 was 10% faster than a gtx285 on release, the increase since then has been dramatic, considering nvidias driver team is 100times as large I expect an even greater improvement from nvidia

You also seem to forget that for the money you get a physx card and a card that can actually do 3d.....ATI supposedly supports 3d...yet I havn't even seen a demo...funny that.

QQ more

17. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    In case you weren't aware of what people were saying you're wrong about:

1: GTX 480 full load = 479W : HD 5870 full load = 375W Doesn't seem double to me
    2: If stressed to the max, there's only a couple degrees difference between a 5870 and a 480. And as we all know... video cards can take heat.
    3: Guru3D's review.... not really any louder than a GTX 295... which is actually reasonably quiet for a dual GPU beast.
    4: And.... exactly how much of a percentage of people (or even gamers) use 3 monitors? As far as i'm aware... EyeFinity was the major kick in the pants for triple monitor setups.
    5: Proof? on the Guru3D review... Hilbert recommends a 550-600W PSU for a single card. Don't see why it'd have to be an immediate jump to 1200W. And it's not like PSU prices aren't dropping quite a lot.
    6: Well... unless ATI pulls their usual game and drops the prices like a cinderblock in a lake when the competitor's card comes out.... i don't see how a GTX 480 costing like $50 or so more than MOST of the 5870's out there is "A lot of money". If you ask me, the 5970 currently at $700 is a lot of freakin money.

18. USFORCES

USFORCES Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780 SLI @ 2560x1600
    Ok thanks again for telling us everything bad about the card, why does almost every ATI fanboy have to post this over and over, LOL

What do half the Nvidia fans go into the ATI forums and do this?

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Slightly confused, but i am half asleep, but i was meaning the people who are already using GT200 cards in SLI, will be able to get multi-monitor support without having to upgrade their cards.

20. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Ahh yeah makes sense now lol