NVIDIA and its troubled GeForce 400 series [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Chernobyl

Chernobyl Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 4870 1gb
    I find it funny that there are so many lifelong nVidia fanboys here, to the point where they won't even admit that Fermi is pretty much the 2xxx series of 2010.

2. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Wtf do you compare......
    2900xt wasn't even able to match 8800GTS,fermi is gonna be very competitive product..GTX480 has only 480SP's and it's very good so far 20% faster than 5870 in D2(which is AMD optimized game) and =/>40% in FC2
    The real deal is Metro 2033 (which is Nvidia dx11 optimized game)

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Games list for both companies.

http://game.amd.com/us-en/play_games.aspx
    http://uk.nzone.com/object/nzone_twimtbp_gameslist_uk.html

Ati's list consists mainly of recent titles so their recent release support is pretty good for enthusiast gamers. Nvidia's list on the other-hand is more definitive and everything on Ati's list works fine on Nvidia hardware.

There's going to be a big push by Nvidia to get their dx11 into games aswell as physx and 3D over the next year. Features that are rarely used today at home will likely see faster adoption due to the push from the movie industry aswell.

Without needing to be a fanboy, I know which one has the most obvious support. Fermi has a few tricks up it's sleeve that'll hopefully get programmers excited.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah, except it's not even close to the 2xxx series, so no.

5. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Fermi is going to be very fast when 3D+Dx11+PhysX are enabled....
    Metro 2033 was running in realtime

6. jamsbong

jamsbong Member

GPU:
    EVGA GF560Ti 1Gb
    I can't believe there are ppl who are still so optimistic about FERMI.

If i'm a Nvidia man and won't buy ati because of things like driver issues. I would happy wait for FERMI 2 and skip this "failure" chip. Fermi appears to have potential but it is not 100%. I'm sure FERMI2 will be.

As a consumer, I will much rather get something mature and polished. FERMI is not one of those products.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm optomistic because all things indicate that the GTX470, which will retail at around the same price as the 5870, will actually be faster than it when using high resolutions, and will also do all the GGPU tasks i want from a GPU.

If i didn't have to buy a new CPU, i would get the GTX480.

8. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    There's nothing wrong with being "optimistic" about Fermi. There is of course everything wrong with making assumptions based off a card that we have no real world examples or comparisons to make. Either negative or positive, its entirely ignorant to make claims or statements about a product that we cannot thoroughly test or benchmark.

People just need to do more waiting and less talking.

9. PhatKat

PhatKat Banned

GPU:
    Hawk 5770 1.02G/1.4G H2O

Was gonna say the same thing. They went talking sh!t, as did their fanboys, and now they have to taste humble pie. I hope they lose record amounts of money, and their arrogance is sipped away like a Mai Tai on the beach.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Even if Nvidia released the GTX480 and it was slower than the 5870, they would still end up making more money in the long run than ATI, Nvidia has alot of loyal fanboys.

But we know its going to be faster, and pretty cheap considering.

11. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    There is some truth here. Nvidia does have a stronger name branding in the computer market. Regardless of how strong or weak a particular Nvidia product performs, its almost guaranteed a certain percentage of market share from blind purchases of customers through retailers. Parents buy a game for their kid, find out later their computer needs a video card to play it, they stroll up to Best Buy and grab the first box they see with 256MB written on the side. That's the story of a significant amount of Nvidia (and ATI) products sold at retailers.

12. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    All i see are green glasses. I do think Fermi is a failure. Heatware and low clock means bad design. Thats why this chip is so late. They had to respin it to get it acceptable.

But hey, lets see if they prove me wrong.

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    If fermi is faster than the 5870, it's doing what it was made to do then. Even if it's only 4%, then the product is successful in it's task. Now that doesn't mean that it's going to be successful in the eyes of the consumers and sales...:D

14. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    ^ it's task is to make money.

I've no doubt Fermi will be a great card, but its coming to the party so late. What is it, 6 months now since the 5870 was released? Thats a huge span of time in the technology curve. I bought my 5870 coz I was in the market for a new card months ago and I already had 3 monitors ready and waiting :D The better Fermi is, the better for me. If it drives 5870 prices down enough then I can pick up a 2nd one.

People need to stop pointing fanboy fingers at others everytime they buy a new card, it really is sad...

15. jamsbong

jamsbong Member

GPU:
    EVGA GF560Ti 1Gb
    I seriously doubt nvidia will make proper money out of the troubled FERMI. They will make money eventually when they produced a matured version of the product that is also economical to make.

The places where nv makes money is their low end card riding on the reputation of their (former) high end cards.

Just look at any stats, you'll find that the GF9xxx and GF8xxx cards are the most popular. When you compare the ATI4xxx with GTX2xx cards, you'll find the GTX2xx is only marginally more popular than ATI.

So back the question, will NV make money out of FERMI? no, not by itself. but the company will make money out of selling their low end cards.

fanboys on both sides, please... In the world of computers, there is no need to be so emotional about it. They're just electronic circuits and brainless machines.

16. evildave-

evildave- Guest

GPU:
    gtx 770
    Great article. Interesting info about nvidia driver team. I kind a suspected they are > ati drv-team. One example is that there still is no descent ati driver for linux. Everyone who thinks of using it just buys nv cards.

Damn can`t wait real benchmarks!

17. Sevenz

Sevenz Active Member

GPU:
    ATI HD4870 512MB
    Tom's Hardware has already benchmarked the GeForce GTX 480 And 470.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-480,2585.html
    They are scaled back versions of the GF100, and the ATI 4870x2 compares very favorably in some tests.

For the heat and power consumption, it's hardly a world beater. I don't think they tested with PhysX. Even though the cards will probably kill ATI doing Folding@Home, it's debatable if they will be worth the money, even when newer drivers come out.

Still, competition is good!

18. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Ok... so as soon as this card comes out, and stabilizes, isn't the 6xxx series going to push it off it's trike and ride away?

19. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Most likely Yes

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Depends on your definition of stabilize and how long it takes. The 6xxx series probably won't be out till fall/winter.