AMD/ATI Radeon HD6800 XT (Northern Islands Next Generation ATIs GPUs) Rumour...

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by chispy, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Super XP

Super XP Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
    Reason why I am saying this is because HD 2900, HD 3800, HD 4800 & now the HD 5800 are all based on the same design with minor design changes and major tweaking.

HD 6800 series is based on something completely new built from the ground up as Rumours have it. Useually new builds like this gain you approx: 60% to 150% performance improvement over last years gen.

Well nobody really knows how AMD/ATI will play this one out, but I am sure AMD knew NVIDIA had Fermi issues, just hope they keep the pressure on just like when NVIDIA kept putting pressure on ATI back in the day with the HD 2900 & HD 3800's.

2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I bet that HD6xxx is going to end up something like HD2800 which was huge pile of ****.

Nvidi has new architecture out, they know how it works and what to do next. I would not be surpriced to see next gen Fermi kill that new ATI.

3. Super XP

Super XP Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
    Perhaps next gen Fermi will kill ATI's new design, nobody really knows. But what I do is Fermi today completely stinks and NVIDIA does not have a backup plan. it's slow, hot, sucks power like there's no tomorrow and did I say it's slow :banana:

NVIDIA needs about 12 to 18 months before they can release Fermi and make is work the way it was meant to work :infinity:

4. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Slow... Slow? SLOW?! What the hell dude, it beats ATI in framerates yet you say slow. Alright, it totally makes sense.

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Fermi is a big chip, but, if it could do 1Ghz it would waste any Ati card, no comparison.

6. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    NVidia had a new design, that didn't mean they had a midrange card beating the previous dual GPU (hypothetical GTX 450 beating the 295) so again, I stand by my comment of a 6770 beating the 5970 being a very hard ask

7. Super XP

Super XP Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
    Fermi was meant to be at the very least 60% of a performance improvement over ATI's 5800 series and yet they are lucky to make 10% to 15% if that. Currently the GTX 480 is not worth its price/performance, an OC'ed Hd 5870 can blow it out of the water and still run well below 60C, yet we have the 480 hitting over 70C in idle and over 95C in gaming.

We got people running the GTX 480 in water cooling setups and the dam thing is heating up everything connected to the water setup. CPU’s temps have gone up a lot.

NVIDIA put way too much stuff inside Fermi, produced it on the wrong process and now they are stuck. So now they need to deal with the criticism just like ATI did when they released the HD 2900 with its issues. But remember Fermi is nothing like the HD 2900, NVIDIA has one hell of a challenge to get Fermi working the way it was meant to work.

In other words, Fermi was a waiste of time and money, and nobody needs what Fermi offers today. Perhaps sometime in 2 to 3 years, but not now.

8. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Is Charlie your friend? :)

9. Super XP

Super XP Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
    I know Mike Magee which writes for CPU Magazine and created The Inquirer but I don't know Charlie or Fudzilla all that much.

I'm telling you, NVIDIA will figure out a temp fix for Fermi and it will be faster, but not sure if its going to be enough for ATI's HD 5800 refresh.

10. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Said who?

11. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Based on what? No one even knows what the "new ATI" is. No one even knows a little bit about it at all, how can you make any kind of statement about what Fermi is going to beat or not beat without a single drop of information on its opponent?

EDIT: Holy crap, lol, you said NEXT gen Fermi, which again, you know jack **** about.

So you just declared that a next gen Fermi...which we know nothing about...Is going to defeat a next gen ATI card...which we know nothing about.

And so you are revealed.

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    omg you have to get over yourself.

the card is 35% percent faster then the 5870 was at launch.
    give peace a chance the card has yet to hit retail
    i dought it will take nv 6 months for better drivers to bring that 35% back np.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  13. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    People throw around the "get over yourself" That's for when people are enamored with themselves.

But in all seriousness, I expect the drivers for Fermi are actually quite a bit more mature than most people think. Nvidia's been working on production/yield issues for quite a while, though they have had, albeit few, working prototypes. During the 6 month...8 month, whatever it was, I don't rememeber, delay, I'm 100% confident they have been optimizing drivers for this card.

I find it extremely unlikely they would have allowed the reviews on release to bench with unoptimized drivers, especially considering just how important the GTX 480 reigning supreme was for overall sales. Surely Nvidia knew, going in, that the 480 and 5870 were close. Surely they would have done everything possible to maximize the distance.

I think most of the driver stuff has been done. I could be wrong, it's possible.

14. Dahbob

Dahbob Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4870X2
    I'm not 100% sure, but I do think nVidia themselves said one of the reasons fermi was late that they want drivers to be good once the card is out, gotta try find the discussion about that :nerd:

15. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    dude every new architecture had problems and what makes u assume that ATI 6XXX wont stink too and have major problems and delays? the only new architecture that didnt suck was the Nvidia GF8XXX series back then. and by the way Fermi isn't Slow, its actually fast and with new drivers update it will 10-20% faster then current numbers. i do agree that it runs hot and is too much power hungry.. too bad for nvidia in that case!

16. Super XP

Super XP Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6970
    NVIDIA said it. Acually 60% increase for a next gen design is quite pathetic IMO and this goes for either company ATI or NVIDIA. You would expect at least 150% from a Brand New Design.

17. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Based on nothing and I was hoping that others would notice that too. People in this thread are speculating how fast HD6800 is, which they know nothing about. I think that even ATI doesnt know it at this point. People also dont know about that new Nvidia, which should have release be out closer to GTX480/GTX470 than Nvidia tought, because first gen got delayed and they still had second gen development rolling. Some delays to second gen cards based on what they learned from first gen and try to fix those.

I'm not hardware engineer and does seem like that many others arent either.

18. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    The 40nm refresh will not be huge performance increase, just enough to give the GTX 480 a hit in the eye.

I thought I would never agree with Charlie in anything, but he seems to be talking same I have for months now.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/03/30/atis-next-generation-outed/

SI = 40nm modular design Evergreen with slight tweaking of Evergreen, "beta test" for NI.

NI = 28nm modular new architechture

19. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    You're just feeding him to make more baseless stupid comments, just ignore him and he'll go away.

20. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    :puke2: