GTX 495>>> The Beast

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by DD_OVERCLOCK99, Mar 30, 2010.

Tags:
  1. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Simply put, because it has weaknesses to parrot.

It's not like we're making them up for the sake of annoying you ;)

I love magic drivers as much as the next guy, bring it :infinity:

@ Tat3 : You're right and I'd suggest the 2 GB 5870 or any other ATI 5xxx series card until the Nvidia refresh (at which point we can re-evaluate).

Buying a Fermi at this point is folly.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  2. d1fferent

d1fferent Maha Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Everybody loves to moan about something cowie, it is normally the weather though, over here it is spring meaning very unpredictable weather at the moment it tend to be always raining...

3. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    how can you go on like that when its cooler,it has less noise and more powerful then a 295? cheaper too?

listen to you recomending a 2g 5870(525-550usd est.) lol for what? it wont help the card at all even at higher res its still not enuff to play games at.....you sure do talk the talk thuo.

sure buy a 5870 if you want to save power lol or have a dx11 card that it is eol already

470 is the card from a non fanboy or company bashers point of view :)

4. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Because it isn't (exception of performance). I've never had a 295 (which is dual GPU card JFYI) get that hot and I've never had a 295 idle at 90c (and that was in a case btw).

These 480s hit 95c in 30 seconds OUTSIDE of a case.

Talk the talk? Why yes I do, the objective talk. I buy what's best regardless of the logo on the box and it's not solely about what's fastest. This is especially true when the margins are so small.

Take the blinders off.

PS : I suggested the card because it's simply a better proposition than any of the 4x0 series cards.

The refresh could potentially be better but as it stands, the 4x0 is not enticing.

If both cards were equal in terms of energy consumption, heat and price and the 480 was faster, I'd have at least 2 the second they were available.

This is quite simply not the case. The 480 is barely faster, much hotter, uses alot more power (not really a huge concern for me tbh) and is ~$150.00 more expensive.

5. otaku

otaku Guest

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    about time someone posted a fact or two.

6. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    I could not have said it better myself really. This is really common sense at its obvious. When the rumours showed up, everyone bashed SA, Fud, INQ and said they must be off their horse, no way would NV would repeat pretty much the same feat of 5800U.

Everyone kept saying let's wait for the benchmarks, ignoring everything and any valid argument that was put across by people who earn their money in hardware industry being hacks.

Now the benchmarks are in, however I see that some people still blindly believe that all is not lost, the magic driver placebo syndrome, customized coolers, fairy-tale dual GPU cards with the minuscule TDPs ,you name it, I reckon it is pointless to discuss this, since people never care in the end.
    So go ahead really, its your money, do we really care Ethne ? :D

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    And also hit that temperature inside the case. Good case has lower temps because it has better airflow in gpu area.

http://guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-470-480-review/13

8. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i agree! fermi is crap i think :)

let's hope nvidia do something better next time. But for me I dont care if they slip out of the gpu market altogether. I would rather a company that doesnt use chat sites like twitter or facebook etc, doesnt lie through it's teeth and overcharges for it's products.

Seems to me there's room for another gpu company if they can front the massive investment needed. But that's a slim chance.

9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    the point i was making all along was that the issues are nothing to rave on about.
    go back and find some performance numbers on the 5xxx cards the first month or two then think about it
    just give it time to get into peoples hands in the real world.then its a fail if it dont sell cus if people buy its a win.

10. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I certainly don't. Brand loyalty is for idiots at the end of the day.

Have fun :)

Because of course every case is exactly the same and has exactly the same airflow :rolleyes:

11. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    This post sums it up.

400 series is a beast compared to the last generation, and has similar thermals.

People simply aren't comparing fermi against the 200 series... they compare it against the 5000 series - which runs colder and quieter.

Performance wise, the 480 is just fine.
    It's faster than the 5870 in most cases, just not 'faster enough' to make people happy.

this is a great point.

eol?
    You realize it's just become widely available like... last month...
    I bought one for my gf 2 months ago... it was hell tracking one down.

-scheherazade

12. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    Absolutely, I learnt it the hard way with 5800U.

13. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    scherzerade how is a 480 cheaper,quieter and run cooler than a 295?:bang:

14. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    its close in all of the traits i thuoght?

bah i sound bad enuff for posting as it is,dont get me started on nv bashing, those bitches dont even have it forsale yet.

15. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    so you getting fermi/s then? not my cup of tea ol chap but you are more hardcore than i am hehe.

16. Elite Bushido™

Elite Bushido™ Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480 SLI
    just like damn video games, stores will have them in stock almost a month but wont sell because of a damn release date given by the makers... so stupid

April 16th cowie
    :puke2:

17. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs

I was thinking of cheaper the and faster part.
    ($530 vs $500 newegg)
    (results vary per benchmark, take 'stalker' for example.)

Idle temps are about the same. (3 degree difference)
    480 is quieter than a 295, though.

see anadtech below :
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2977/...x-470-6-months-late-was-it-worth-the-wait-/19

But sure, 480 is 14 degs hotter under load than a 295.

Peronally I think it's splitting hairs.
    I mean : Why do we care about temperatures? Because of fan noise.

How loud is a 295 under load? 65.1 db [+1 db]
    How loud is a 480 under load? 64.1 db
    How loud is a 5970 under load? 63.6 db [-0.5 db]
    How loud is a 5870 under load? 59.3 db [-4.8 db]

Whatever... that's so damn close.
    If the 480 bothers you, then the 5870 and 5970 will bother you too.

And if you say a 4.8db spread (red vs green this generation) is the difference between 'hating the noise' and 'happily quiet', then I just don't believe you :p

-scheherazade

18. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    That's what I was saying. That case is Corsair 800D and only intake fan is 140mm and rated for 900RPM, max. CFM is 65-70.

You cant say that it's good airflow, many cheap cases have better one, so that temperature should not really be a problem for most people who can afford that card.

19. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    There is little point in debating with you as you'll have some wingnut rationale for any irrefutable fact you are presented with.

Even if it can maintain 95c in a case, that's still too hot, so it makes little difference and JFYI, I don't believe that it can (at least not universally). You are making some big assumptions that simply are not factual.

Good luck with your 480 that runs at 70c :rolleyes:

We'll see how 'right' you are in about 2 weeks. I'm predicting many dead cards. There is a reason why XFX jumped ship.

20. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Yes 95 C is hot, but Hilbert said that turning up fan speed dropped temps to around 80C

I did not say that those run at 70C, 65-70 was CFM which that 140mm fan was able to produce.

BTW. There were quite many HD5850's and 5870's dead quite soon after those came out.