Big Mistake?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ESlik, Mar 13, 2010.

1. |WOY|Shotty1993

|WOY|Shotty1993 Banned

GPU:
    POV GTX 470
    no comment, another ritch kid that doesnt know what hes doing/

2. Bornakiller

Bornakiller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SLI
    Running on Dx10 :S
    There are some places where the frame just drops real low specifically when grenades explode

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  3. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    clean install windows, looks like u had nvidia card there

4. 3T3RN4L

3T3RN4L Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870 1035/5320mhz
    do you by any chance have advance physx on in the game option? if so. maybe that's it. if not. try using driver sweeper and reinstall drivers is all i can think of.

5. Bornakiller

Bornakiller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SLI
    Yep switched it off and now it's much better the lowest it drops to is 45fps..

What I did was I Removed my physx gtx 280 card , it seems that hardware physx was not working however Fluidmark reports that im using hardware Physx... Then I uninstalled both ati nvidia drivers, used driver sweeper to remove leftovers and then I re-installed cat 10.3a Everything maxed except for DOF off...

6. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    As far as I'm concerned,I did make a mistake with two 5870s. I had time to play a few games while experimenting with all the settings and maxing the cards out. There is no question that the 5870s are good cards. but after making the comparison with my two GTX 280s,I can honestly tell all that other than DX 11, the image quality with Nvidia eats the 5870s. Even tho it will cost me to return them,I did learn a valuable lesson. I don't need to upgrade for any reason other than maybe DX 11. Not even for bragging rights. I didn't know my 280s were as good as they are.

7. flashnc

flashnc Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
    Ive got a EVGA GTX 295 CO-OP wanna trade??

8. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    With "two" 5870, you can never miss the target, friend.

9. Aegis

Aegis Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim X
    I guess image quality is subjective, but imo (having used a good mix of nVidia and ATI cards over the years) the IQ of the 5870's is fantastic - sorry it didn't work out for you. One thing you need to ensure is enabled is Adaptive AA - it's off by default and you won't get anti-aliased transparency with it disabled.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm a bit late to this thread but I have noticed from reading reviews of the GTX 470/480 which include benchmarks for those and ATI cards that 1920x1200 seems to be the sweet spot for games with lots of AA on cards with 1 GB framebuffers. As soon as you move up to 2560x1600 you start to run out of video memory and it leads to massive framerate drops (in-game stutter). Seems to me that if you want to play games at that high resolution with lots of AA then you need cards with more than 1 GB of memory. Fortunately, there is a 2 GB HD5870 on the way which should be great for gaming at 2560x1600.

By the way, I have a 1 GB HD5870 Vapour-X coming tomorrow but if I wanted to buy a second card for Crossfire could I still use a 2 GB HD5870? I know that in Crossfire it would only use 1 GB per card but in single GPU mode that extra 1 GB of memory could come in handy for games such as GTA IV if I used it as a primary card.

11. Aegis

Aegis Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim X
    Three possibilities:

1. Disabling Catalyst A.I. (which disables Crossfire) will give you back your 2 gigs.
    2. Temporarily disabling the 1 gig card via Device Manager.
    3. You'll have to remove the card.

Never had cards of different memory capacities in Crossfire before so I'm not sure how the drivers would handle this - try emailing support at ATI.

12. poo417

poo417 Guest

GPU:
    It would only use 1 gig. So it would be a waste of money I am afraid. The memory use is mirrored in sli/xf.