Ati OpenGl 4.0 Preview Driver

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by XfragDaz, Mar 25, 2010.

1. bhokuto

bhokuto Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R5670 HD 1GB DDR5
    For the New OpenGL 4.0 driver

Look in your 'Run' in the Registry for this new loader that causes 'ModeChange'

ATIModeChange | ati2mdxx.exe

this may be a flogger, but certainly upon starting the Desktop Session, the screen resolution changes. Remove the loader from starting up and all is well.

Then you may see a few FPS in OpenGL benchmarks such as Cinebench 11.5.

Frames jumped from 34 to 53

I posted a JPG on the Cinebench post in the other section

2. master2k8

master2k8 Active Member

GPU:
    7950 1.1 Ghz Edition
    this driver sucks, it's breaking OGL 3.2 support for some games, ogl 2 will work, i dont know the CCC won't work right anymore for me on this driver and on 10.3b it's saying CCC is not made for this version of drivers but i installed all correctly (deinstalled , removed files with driver sweaper) also a real clean install told me some stuff that isn't correct, with 10.3 a all is fine with working CCC, so i decided i mod the Press Preview Driver with the OpenGL Support now,

so currently i'm on a mix with 8.7.3.1 with the new ogl features and the old CCC, it all work very pretty but the OGL 3.2 support is still broken for some games (ogl based on the 4.0 preview) , in my mind the 8.7.3.1 press preview driver was the fastest for me on my 5970

best regard m2k

3. bhokuto

bhokuto Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R5670 HD 1GB DDR5
    weird but that is to be expected on beta series, not all things work, I just run the benchmarks to see if any improvements or stays the same.

10.3 preview gained about 4 to 5 FPS for this rig, in Cinebench 11.5, but MSI Kombuster remained the same at 29 ~ 32 in this range.

All these protocols: DirectCompute, DirectX, OpenGL, OpenCL causes havoc, need one good, excellent Protocol. Collaboration. The problem with Big Business, they don't know it all. So, collaboration, there's still time to reach across the table-Internet- and work things out proper like, even, pronto zuma, zip zippy.

I use DirectX on Microsoft OS's because they seem to have things working better. As for the other's can't say too much. OpenGL now after a whopping 34 to 53 FPS increase, I would say this is the way to go!

I ran OpenCL test, it bombed, like fish tottering in the bottom. This needs much work.

DirectX and OpenGL ranks.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm switching from a GeForce GTX 280 to a RADEON HD5870 tomorrow but I'm confused over all these different driver versions.

I downloaded the 10.3 WHQL ones from the official AMD site and the 10.3a 'Preview' ones but then came across another set late last night, the 10.3b 'Preview' drivers with fixes for Battlefield Bad Company 2 and the large cursor bug. I assume the 10.3b ones are the latest one of that lot?

Now I read here that's there yet another set with OpenGL 4.0. Are these newer than the 10.3b's? Which ones should I install? It would be so much easier if ATI listed the driver version numbers with these drivers IMO.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Version number wise the 10.3 WHQL is the "oldest" followed by 10.3a, 10.3b and this preview driver.

If you sort them by driver date instead the order is slightly different with 10.3, 10.3a, this preview driver and then 10.3b

10.3 was finalized around March 2nd or something like that, 10.3a at around March 14th and 10.3b at around March 24th with this preview driver being dated March 22nd if I remember it correctly.

I think this preview driver contains the 10.3a stuff but it does not contain the 10.3b stuff and the 10.3b drivers does not contain OpenGL 4 and 3.3 compatibility but they're the "best" for normal gaming.
    (These preview drivers as shown a few posts earlier also install a new startup service previously seen in 5.x drivers and probably others, might set desktop resolution incorrectly at startup so install the driver, restart, set the resolution to what it should be and remove it from startup afterwards, doesn't seem to run after doing that thing, seems it shuts itself down afterwards.)

I'd also recommend the 10.3/10.3a (They're the same.) ATI profile application and if you use OpenCL (Apps mainly.) the 2.01 Stream SDK.

EDIT: From 10.3 to 10.3a there's mainly additional Eyefinity improvements I think ATI explained, 10.3b is then for a little improvement with Bad Company 2 and Windows 7 and these preview drivers as mentioned are about testing OpenGL 4 and 3.3 and those extensions.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  6. sideeffect

sideeffect Master Guru

GPU:
    FE 3070
    There is even a protocol called Havoc :) Its an alternative to Physx and many games use it. http://www.havok.com/index.php?page=havok-physics

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Appreciate the explanation but, good lord, it really is confusing knowing which driver is the right one to install. Am I right in saying for me it would be the 10.3b ones (to avoid the oversized mouse pointer bug) along with the Application Profile which I also downloaded from the AMD site?

8. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    the 10.3B drivers are awesome Darren Hodgson :thumbup:
    dont think you need the profiles application

9. Kanzleramt77

Kanzleramt77 Member

i cant download this driver can somebody upload at RS ?

Unauthorized Download

We're sorry, but this download request cannot be authorized. As an option, you may visit any of the pages below for information about our services and products:

10. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Mirrors!

Windows XP
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/369921487/_www.MiMp3.net_-_ATI_Catalyst_10.3_OGL4_Preview_WinXP.exe
    Windows Vista/7
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/369920416/_www.MiMp3.net_-_ATI_Catalyst_10.3_OGL4_Preview_Win7_Vista.exe
    Linux
    Code:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/369920964/_www.MiMp3.net_-_ATI_Catalyst_10.3_OGL4_Preview_Linux.zip

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks, I'll install those then.

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The profiles in the profile app are not part of the 10.3b drivers as far as I know, need to check this a bit better though so I'm not certain about it.
    (EXE name for Just Cause 2 for example in Atiumdag.dll or Atidxx32.dll depending on DX9 or DX10 profiles primarily, mostly speculation though as not much can be seen aside from the EXE name the profiles use and sometimes the profiles name.)

13. evilfury

evilfury Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX Gaming X
    I still dont know whats better. Uninstalling previous driver or just install new drivers over old one?

14. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    As far as I know ATI Install Manager will always update itself first (Or reinstall itself if the version is the same.) and can't be selected, as since a few driver revisions ago (Back with Vista and WDDM 1.0) it can also handle overwriting the current display driver and CCC and whatever else you might choose to install with newer versions however the date might be newer but it's the build version that has to be higher for the drivers to install, during such a install the past driver and CCC (And other stuff.) will be removed but all settings and similar adjustments will be kept whereas you'll start from scratch when doing a clean install as it's called.

If a driver is installed badly a over-install might not solve the problem whereas a clean install might wipe out whatever setting or file is bad but otherwise both are fairly identical and give similar end results.
    (Pretty sure NVIDIA drivers work nearly the same way but they use some sort of Installshield wizard or something like that whereas ATI uses as sort of .Net application and installer.)

Of course this is just my view and opinion on it and previously pre-WDDM this wasn't really that flexible but now with Windows 7 and WDDM 1.1 you don't even have to reboot anymore as it'll shut off and restart the display automatically. :)

15. bhokuto

bhokuto Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R5670 HD 1GB DDR5

When in doubt, like the old commercial, moms say: "Shout It Out" which means, 'clean' install always with any drivers. Why?

because if you install one over the other, lets say three or four times, you have to uninstall 3 or 4 times to get rid of 'all' previous drivers, they 'pile' up.

When you go into Device Manager, there's button that says rollback to previous driver. Do this too many times and you have to hit that button over and over until there is one left which won't go away.

With this feature in Windows, it's supposed to keep all drivers in a folder under, (I forgot the name, but when I look there all there)

Even after, doing a Driver Sweeper, you have to physically clean out that folder in C:\Windows\System32\x\x, the .sys or the other ones as well.

Date Time Stamping, Windows does that too. So it will look for the latest one, by 'date' and 'version' if Windows thinks the one your installing is not a good one by this method, you have to force it. This was a big pain in the older versions of Windows. Automatic Driver Installation has it's good and very bad points. Most of the user community is not Enthuists thus the lack of for such.

Thus, there needs to be 'Advanced' and Not So Advanced in Windows when choosing to do it 'your way'. Thus this pre-selected group of people that don't like to hassle and play around.

These issues were brought up countless times in the past but, they, blew them out the door, for $$ = Majority rules; the Majority of people that use Windows is their bread and butter. We Enthuists and have it your way our way, are least on the totem pole. Thus those who are total lamos which are the majority, speak the loudest $$.

Rule of Economics; "what can you give me"

Think of all the HotShot Democrats and Republicans that use Windows. Do they look like Joe Racer?

Hope this helps you view a bit

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    amd even states you have to uninstall the previous drivers at their site. but yeah bhokuto is right, the drivers will stack up if you just update on top of the other one.