Guru3d 480/470 review is up

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by compgeek89, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Wanny

Wanny Guest

That's why I grabbed a 2nd cheap card before it was too late, because Fermi wasn't a 100% deal and ATI is out of the deal (for now).

2. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    In a word? Yes. The 480 is a major disappointment...period. A few more months won't kill you and ATI's 6000 series will probably destroy Nvidia's refresh. I don't care which company wins the performance battle, I just look for bang/buck. And guess what? The 480 isn't worth squat in that battle.

3. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I dunno man, I'm not trying to run you down and you should really do what you want at the end of the day.

If you really want one, why not wait and see what other end users say before dropping the cash?

Although, with the distance selling act in the UK, you CAN always return it within 15 days (I think that's the time period).

4. Dublin_Gunner

Dublin_Gunner Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 460 4GB
    Evidentially, some people in these here fora were expecting Fermi to perform way way beyond all realistic expectations - hence the utter disappointment expressed.

I take it for what it is: The fastest GPU money can buy. Great CUDA performance, fantastic tessellation performance, great minimum frame rates.

Yes, it runs too hot, and the TDP is massive for a single card.

Personally, I still think the best bang for buck card is the HD5850 (~€250), but that doesn;t take away form the fact that the GTX480 adds at least 10% (up to nearly 50% in some scenario's) on top of the HD5870 performance.

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm kind of glad these cards aren't out for another fortnight... gives me plenty of time to consider whether to actually keep my pre-order or not.

6. Corndog

Corndog Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 702/1728/1913
    Wow...
    I have been skimming through some of the posts here by some people and all I have to say is "Sheesh!"
    First of all why is everyone givin Hilbert crap like he's the one who is at fault for nVidias shortcomings? Why shoot the messenger? Because he tends to be more optimistic than most others? Is being optimistic so bad? It's not like he was telling blatant lies or anything. He gave the facts, and also gave his opinions as well, which is what a good hardware review has, IMO. The responsibility is left for readers to discern whether or not the review is accurate judging by the absolute information provided such as benches, specs, etc... and he gives PLENTY of that.

Now, I'm not a writer, but I always thought that when writing reviews or any article, the author has a choice of what tone he wishes to use. He just chose to be positive all while exposing the obvious truths about the product. Did he not say this card gets REALLY HOT?? I think he was pretty darn clear about it. Same with the TDP issue. Infact, he mentioned it many times more than once (I read the whole thing).

It was clear to me, atleast, that in the end what Hilbert was saying was this:

1. This card gets pretty damn hot while gaming
    2. Needs a lot of juice.
    3. While price /performance isn't as good as ATI's cards, between the 470 and 480 the 470 has better value.
    4. 470 beats the 5850 in most cases, though not by much.
    5. 480 beats the 5870 in most cases, some not by much, but some (IMO) by a good margin considering the 480 we got is a "gimped" version of the card we were supposed to get (480SP vs 512SP).
    6. He showed tesselation ability between both cards even stating before hand that it wasn't going to as big of a gap as nVidia has been trying to say it was between the two(480 vs 5870). Going by the graph, I'd say the GTX480 obviously performs better.
    7. Some of the titles the 480 won in actually preferred ATI hardware. How often does that happen?
    8. And finally, despite the card's issues regarding heat/TDP and noise (which is relative) the GTX480 IS the fastest single chip to date.

In the end I think it all boils down to the individual. If I wanted the fastest single chip solution money can buy, and heat/energy consumption/noise didn't bother me at all and I had the money.... uh why not? Sometimes, not always, having the newest most powerful/fastest thing comes with some side effects or drawbacks. Hey atleast it wasn't as bad as the introduction of the HD2xxx series. They were delayed by around the same amount of time, and if my memory serves me right, they also had some the same issues that nVidia is currently experiencing. One thing is pretty different though. Ati could NOT defeat the 8800GTX which was their initial intention. It didn't even come close! nVidia on the other hand, while late to the party this time around defeat its intended rival unanimously. Does the performance advantage really warrant the extra cash? Hmm..... if the card had a tad less power draw and came equipped with the full 512 SP then yes, I'd be alright with the price. As is though, I think price needs to drop a tad.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  7. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    It's not worth the cost differential vs performance. Quite frankly, the 5870 is close to it in every benchmark but for a few frames in a couple games.

I could care less for ATI but seriously, I listened to hardocp's testing and the 480 would get me thrown out of my apartment.

The 480 is the 2010 equivalent of the 5800 and those of us who have had cards *SPAM* back to the Voodoo days realize this.

8. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I think you'll find that Nvidia got people's hopes up (and that's about as politely as I can put it).

50%? - in one benchmark?

The average is between 5% and 15% which is nothing to write home about.

9. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Like I said before, I feel your pain.

I wish Nvidia had delivered a decisive win as opposed to what they did deliver :(

TBH, the first time I saw the heatpipes sticking out of the 480, I felt a sense of unease.

10. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    People knew this all along. And yes SemiAccurate skeptics - sorry but seems Charlie has gotten it right this time ( I am not an SA fan, but credit is given where credit is due)

Those who are waiting on pre-orders - don't. Especially if you are in the EU and UK. The cards are priced well above 400£.

I don't support ANY technology that are going to run to near H2O boiling point temperatures, that's a given

Please keep digging, we can still you - this is what Nvidia would say to you Darren, take a fresh look at the situation, most people here would wanna save you some money, a fellow enthusiast to another.

Yes this is the fastest GPU in the world. The keyword here is GPU, NOT graphics card. Now you may say fair enough, but it still the fastest single GPU graphics card, but at what cost??? In all fairness, given the choice to upgrade between 5870 and this, I would choose 5870 any time.

For two biggest deal breakers for me:

1) Jet engine reminiscent of 5800U

2) Tonnes of cubic feet of hot air, inside your case.

3) Short life-span of the card, god forbid the RMA due to supply issues.

All this for 5-15% more performance and the ridiculous price (please please dont get your hopes up of this dropping, retailers are not stupid and will capitalise on anything that says "BRAND NEW TECH OMG W00T!!111")

The decision here is crystal clear.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    From what I can gather, based on the posts here, there won't be a shortage of these new cards because most people, it seems, won't be buying one anyway!!! ;)

12. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Does that mean you are holding off? If so, I think you made the right call.

Let other people waste their money testing them and then make a decision :)

13. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Ati do have per game profiles too, its just done slightly differently. You can create game shortcuts that apply your required settings and launch the game automatically quite easily.

Can't say I ever need to with most modern titles though. (Apart from UE3 engined stuff.)

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm having second thought because of this...

Oh-oh...

"In my personal system (Corsair 800D Chassis) with two monitors the GeForce GTX 480 graphics card would idle at 90C (Darren: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK!) and if it was a sunny day and my office was warmer it would idle at 92. I fired up the new DX11 game title Aliens Versus Predator and with GPU-Z in the background I saw the temperature reach 99C while gaming for around 30 minutes. At this temperature the fan is spinning at 70dB and it honestly was not an enjoyable gaming experience. I asked NVIDIA if the card was built to run at temperatures this high and they claim that the GeForce GTX 400 series was built to operate at high temperatures and reminded me that 105C was the peak temperature for the GeForce GTX 480 video card. While benchmarking the GeForce GTX 480 graphics card on the open test bench I found the outside of the heatsink to reach 50C on the fan side and 59C on the exhaust side, so this card without a doubt will put out some heat."

From here: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1258/16/

:puke2:

May wait and go for a 2GB HD5870 instead and just do without PhysX and all the other niceties until NVIDIA make a GTX285 equivalent of these cards.

15. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yep, that's not good.

Just wait until they hit retail if that scares you. I foresee many more stories along those lines and beyond (AKA not good).

You can still have PhysX if you absolutely have to but tbh, with the exception of Mirror's Edge, I've never seen anything that really impressed me that much where PhysX is concerned.

Sure, it's nice to have and tbh, you CAN have it with ATI should you so desire (as long as you have an Nvidia card, which you do).

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    If ATI and NVIDIA were on a more even footing as regards features such as PhysX then my choice would simply come down to which card offers the best value for money out of the GTX 480 and HD5870. Here in the UK where the standard HD5870 costs £350, it still wins out by virtue of having lower power requirements and temperatures even though that extra £87 is buying you 512 MB more video memory and more gaming performance in the case of the GTX 480.

I must admit I'm really torn at the moment. My gut instinct is telling me to go for the HD5870, which I could get now not in two weeks time, but my heart is telling me to go for the GTX 480 because of all the extras. My mind meanwhile is doing its utmost to forget those horrendous temperatures, the talk of the fan noise and that ridiculously high TDP.

I'm really confused to be honest and unsure what to do. I'm obviously going to have to have a long, hard think about this. :(

17. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Well, I waited for the Nvidia reviews and based on them, I ordered 2 x 5870HD.

As you pointed out, 5870s are available now and not busy auditioning for a part in a Chernobyl documentary.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I think I may wait for the 2 GB Sapphire HD5870 TOXIC and see how much that costs here. At least that would have the extra video memory I want and I believe it also used the same 8 + 6 pin power connectors I have for the GTX 280 currently. Mind you my PSU has 2 x 8 pin and 4 x 6 pin for SLI/Crossfire so I'm not short of power leads. Still using the ones I have now saves me having to rearrange the cabling in my case.

Decisions, decisions...

19. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Sounds good mate - I'm off to play some FC2.0

Have fun :)

20. easy2007

easy2007 Guest

GPU:
    AMD RX470 4GB
    Well as much as the GTX470 costs i am sort of tempted mainly by the tessellation performance. Also the extra features like physx and 3D surround. The only thing that bothers me about buying it is that the GTX450 or GTS450 will be released in a few months and im thinking they might have better temps and power efficeny. also either card would be a massive step up from my 8800GTS 320