Thinking of switching to ATI

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by smith10210, Mar 29, 2010.

1. smith10210

smith10210 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Im wondering if i should sell mt gtx 275 and upgrade to a 5870. Will i see a big performance jump?. Im also about to upgrade to windows 7 64bit from xp also. My current specs seem that i should be ok with the upgrade. Ive never had an ATI card either but im sure the transition should be easy.

2. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    I say yes. You'll have to sweep all nVidia drivers with DriverSweeper (entering in safemode and all that).

I switched from 8600GT to HD5770. In both XP 32bit and XP x64, no issues using DriverSweeper and some registry cleaner just in case.

And you should upgrade from your Win XP, im not too worried because my HD5770 cannot stand very well with some DX11 features without great fps drops, that and the money are the reasons because i stay with XP x64 (and some things about Win7 that i dont like). But, with a HD5870, Windows 7 is a must (i recognise it even when i hate it), you'll have al DX11 and DX10 features plus some performance improvements in some games if you use them (example, STALKER CoP from DX10 to DX11, something like 50% performance increase in sun shaft escenarios).

3. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    i'd say YES to both questions...u will get the BEST FPS for your money without the power consumption and heating problems that 470 has

EDIT: IMO Windows XP is obsolete..

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  4. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    You will see huge performance gain.

5. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    You know I was thinking about this too last year. But to be perfectly honest I do not like ATI's driver HUD. I know it sounds kinda silly, but there HUD looks like something I could do with photoshop. Another reason why I never swithed is because I was one of the unfortunte ones that used the ATI Rage card back in the day. I swore off ATI after that card. I'm Canadian, Born in Toronto which is where ATI was formed (out of a garage by the way) and I still don't buy there cards. I know, I should be supporting them, but now there merged with AMD so that dosen't matter anymore. Another thing that bothers me with ATI cards is the way they name them. Too many odd numbers which bugs me. Like why not just name them 5000, or 5500. Not 5875 or 5980 sigh...

Keeping things simple actually works!

6. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Yea right...

XP is on the way out but by no means obsolete. Win98/ME is obsolete. Run over to steam and click on there ongoing monthly hardware survey. There you will notice that 40% of 2.5 million steam gamers still use XP. And that is just steam. So if we use the same math, it would be fair to say that 40% of all the PC's in North America are still using some version of XP (myself included).

The reason why I'm still using XP is because I like the way I can do something, anything and I don't have to give permission 2 times for every thing I do. I know where everything is without 10 more mouse clicks to get somewhere. And who was the idiot that came up with the new start menu anyways?

And finally, XP has no problems with any game and is still the fastest OS to use for gaming. The only draw back and really the only reason why I will eventually upgrade is the lack of DX10/11 support. If that wasen't an issue I'd use XP for another 5 years...

7. Dual Core

Dual Core Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 2x4890 24"1080p
    Is this another one shouting "Abandon ship"!
    Yes ATI are the best video cards out at the moment.
    Dont get me wrong ive always had Nvidia, but for the last year its been ATI, they used to have alot of issues with drivers some years ago and thats what has put people off by going back the ATI but, ATI have taken the right route atm and the drivers are faultless from what ive seen over the last 12 months.
    Go ahead make the move you wont regret it.

8. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    @maelficarus - xp is good still, but if youre stuck on xp, theres no point in upgrading to a fermi card or 5000 series card because you cant use most of the card's features.

anyway, a 5870 is a good card, but think about your plans with it first. if you plan to OC, an msi twin frozr or a sapphire toxic edition will give you a good start.

alternatively, you could just get a 5850 and keep your gtx 275 for physx.

9. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RX6800 XT
    ob·so·lete   /ˌɒbsəˈlit, ˈɒbsəˌlit/ Show Spelled [ob-suh-leet, ob-suh-leet] Show IPA adjective, verb,-let·ed, -let·ing.

–adjective

of a discarded or outmodled type; out of date: an obsolete battleship.

XP is in every essence of the word, obsolete. Just because its usable, doesnt make it any less obsolete ;)

10. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    Says the guy with onboard obsolete sound... :stewpid:

11. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    5870 over a 275 isn't worth it imo. I swapped a GTX 280 for a 5870 and it was totally underwhelming, except for a couple of games like Crysis the performance was pretty similar. I would wait for the next round of ATI's cards.

12. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    nvidia fanboy hahahahaha

:p

13. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    That's ok, I got called an ATI fanboy when the 5xxx came out :)

14. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    Yes XP is outdated, I'd much rather have onboard sound than a 9600GT

to the OPI I think it is only worth it if u OC the balls off the 5870 if u buy it, I upgraded from a 275 to a 4870x2 because I got the latter for really cheap (£100) and recouped most of that money, itz up to you whether you really wanna spend £300/$420 on that upgrade

15. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    i said IMO..and i'm using windows 7 x64 for one year now and had no problems..i run every game every programs that i use without any problems, and i don't give permisions 2 times for everything i do.

EDIT: i used XP many years and it's a great OS but for me it's obsolete.You will eventually switch to Vista or 7 at some point:D

16. flashnc

flashnc Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
    simply turn off UAC ...no more asking permissions, and no more extra clicks...just like XP :)

17. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RX6800 XT
    dude, you just dug your hole deeper. Now its time to get in it.

No where did i say that my sound is NOT obsolete (even though its on a current Gen motherboard bahahaha) and you just made a big spill about how XP isnt obsolete, when it quite clearly is.

I suggest you learn proper english, and maybe use the dictionary before you use some of the words you do.

18. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    Pretty irrelevant

19. smith10210

smith10210 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Thanks for all the response's i think im just going to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit this week. Im just waiting for it to arrive and play with that for awhile. I wish my board was SLI i could just buy another card but my board is crossfireX ready which isnt a bad thing but i would have to buy two more ATI's which is out of my price range. I still might just put my card up on ebay will see or get another MB that will do SLI.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  20. THEBIG360

THEBIG360 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Phantom 670's SLI
    I did that swap and it's blown me away. No regrets at all , its comforting to look at my gpu temps at 70C max when having a good gaming session. not to mention with almost twice the speed in some cases.