Guru3d 480/470 review is up

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by compgeek89, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Because the minimum framerates are around 60fps+??

2. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    It's so hot and suffers from inefficient energy usage :(
    It's even worse than my G80's :(

3. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Would all the gurus who believe 3.2 billion transistors (GTX 4XX) should require no more power that 2.15 billion transistors (ATI 58XX) please raise your hand. I've counted over a dozen in this thread alone.

4. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Of course it should but performance isn't reflected by the demand for power or the ridiculous heat.

5. sw1000xg

sw1000xg Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    I keep seeing people talk about the price all the time ATI has had 6 months to lower the price, when they came out they where the same price. Nvidia just need time to lower them... If you're buying a new card then get the better card the GTX 480, who cares about power if you can afford a bazillion £$ graphics card then you should be paying high electric bills! who cares... Buy a new card and can afford it BUY IT! stop moaning about price heat and power consumption...

6. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    Of course it will produce more thermal output. I think the point being made however is that a card having 50% more transistors should have more than a 7-10% increase in performance, depending upon the application.

The heat, cost, and small performance differential between the 5870 and GTX 480 don't make it a better value in many people's opinion. And believe me, I'm no fanboy. I buy whatever offers the best bang-for-the-buck.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
  7. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Power consumption isn't a concern but heat is.

Single GPU cards that are hitting 95c+ in 'open case' situations are a serious liability. The real problems will start when these cards ship to end users who use them in closed cases, warm rooms etc.

8. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    actually, mathematically, the 480 has almost 50% more transistors, or you could say that the 5870 has 33% less transistors.

i think i'll wait for the ati 6000 series and see how that goes.

9. SJ911

SJ911 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 295
    Lol, you're correct. Damn alcohol this evening has already deadened my math skills and I've had about every class you could think of. :)

10. kiban

kiban Member

GPU:
    hd5870/nvidia 9800gtx
    Nvidia screwed up big time at this new opening series, and that's pretty much it.
    This new cards sincerely, out of my opinion all this, are real sh**.

Me, I'll wait for nvidia to see if this release of new cards was some kind of intelligent move and they are actually prepared to surprise us all. But there is no way in hell I'll let them steal my money with that thing called new tech improved chip.

Patience win's most of the times with this kind of matter, just saying, lots of you guys will disagree with me.(Not sure why, since i didn't see any comment specifying the Pro's of buying a 470 or 480, and that I would like to know)

11. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    look i think this hole "problem" that Nvidia has with the Geforce470@480, happenned with Ati when they released the 2900Xt(and then 2900Pro series)-cards that consumed more power, very loud.....but then after a short period of time they released the 3850&3870 series(the same s..t but different nm die size)....

i think Nvidia will do the same, if they don't encounter more problems along the way.

12. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    Yeah I noticed the room temp they had in their tests was 21c, my room temp is on average 5-8c warmer than that so I wonder how hot that card would run in my system.

13. kiban

kiban Member

GPU:
    hd5870/nvidia 9800gtx
    It will run the same temp overall at full load, since the more hot ambient means increase of the fan, if the cap temps are at 95º, and the card starts to get to 96º, the fan will automatically increase speed thus getting the temps back to 95. Meaning the card will make more noise but will not go:

-/if 21º ambient temp card goes 95º, then 30º ambient temp card goes 104º/- this is wrong.

You can see though, difference at idle(I assume), since nvidia and ati both have the minimum fan activity capped at automatic fan(experienced with the 9800gtx the fan is at 35% unless the temps go higher than 60º).
    At winter my 9800gtx had 45º(35%fan) while at summer 65º(40%fan)

Now days the card's go to 150mhz at idle, so that solves the issue of the cards being always at 50º-60º when not playing games.

14. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Also worth noting is 105C is the temperature at which the card will throttle clocks to prevent damage, the core shutdown threshold is probably 10-15C above that like it was on previous generations.

15. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    The funny thing is Fermi actually idles cooler than a HD 5870 hooked into 120Hz monitor (400/1200) clocks are as low as it goes. 60-63c temps.

16. kiban

kiban Member

GPU:
    hd5870/nvidia 9800gtx
    My hd5870 at 157/300 MHz 31º and 21% fan. Right now those are my idle temps, at full load 60-80, depending on the game.

Ops, forgot to get to the point, I don't think the temps of 470&480 will be a problem even at full load, since the cards come with warranties etc, what I do think, is that for oc'ing the card without cooling solutions(thus if with, expensive overall) the temps will be troublesome, that and the noise fact, witch I personally don't care that much about(still is a serious issue).

17. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Not only that but how with they cope in summer when hardware temps are usually 5 to 10 C warmer? I must admit that is a concern for me even though I live the UK where we don't get long periods of really hot weather. Nevertheless my temps are higher during the summer than they are during the winter.

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Some interesting information on the GTX 480's temperatures from here: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/nvidia_gtx480/16.htm

"When it came time to overclock the GTX 480 I was able to get a decent clock speed increase out of the card that showed nice increases in gaming scores across the board. There weren't any utilities already out but EVGA will have its Precision overclocking tool available that gives you the ability to push the clock speeds on the GTX 480. The clock speeds I reached amount to a 15% increase in the Core/Shader speed, from 1401MHz to 1608MHz, and an 11.5% increase on the memory clock speeds, from 1848MHz to 2115MHz. However, to reach this level of performance you need to make sure you have at least a 600 watt power supply with a native 6 and 8-pin PCI-E power connector. Max power consumption for the board is rated at 250 watts. I only saw close to that number while overclocked, with a total system consumption of 451 watts. At idle, the system consumes 206 watts. At stock speeds, the power consumption was about 25 watts lower at 424 watts. The cooling solution used on the GTX 480 looks pretty stout but with fan speeds left at auto the card heats up fast. I saw temperatures over 100 degrees Celsius using Furmark with the fan speeds on auto. Bump the fan speed to 100% and you get temperatures in the mid 60C range. However, you do have a noise penalty when doing this. At a fan speed of 70% I found a good solid balance between noise and temperatures. 80 Celsius is where the temperature peaked in my well ventilated Stacker 810 case. This put me a good 25 Celsius away from the maximum safe temperature. Just make sure your case is well ventilated or you may see the temperatures of the other components in the system increase and cause you other heat related concerns. Cooling those three billion transistors and 480 cores is gonna take some work."

Reads to me like the auto fan settings NVIDIA are using are set too low as they were for my GTX 280 which was hitting 85-88 C during gaming until I set a custom auto fan profile with RivaTuner and now it never goes above 72 C. Idle fan speeds according to another review I read is 44% (1,700 rpm).

19. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    That's not what I've seen.

HardOCP had the card at 95c with 100% fan and it got there very quickly. This was not even in a case.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/26/nvidia_fermi_gtx_470_480_sli_review/7

(2nd video)

OMFG, check out the 480 SLI vid - it sounds like a jet taking off :(

Nothing I've read corroborates what overclockersclub is contending.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  20. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    looking at that review reminds me that my current card had the same issue with heat... when i put an aftermarket on it produced the same results they had.