GeForce GTX 470 and 480 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    Great!

My thoughts exactly :)

Also, about the power consumption... While I don't think it's a great or a bad card (as someone else stated; more like "meh"), I do think the power consumption is high. I don't get how so many people are stating the opposite - of course it's lower than the last generation cards in SLI, had you expected anything else? SLI and crossfire are the biggest power wasters you can find in a computer. That doesn't mean I think these cards' power figures are impressive, at all.

The price is also a meh for me. I had figured it'd be more expensive, but I don't exactly think it's cheap. I'd still go for the ATI cards, at least until we see a noticable price drop... That is, if we will... :3eyes:

2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    So in the article, it said that one cluster was disabled maybe due to the yields, 512 sp gpu, could we see refresh cards in the future with all the sp activated? If thats the case then maybe should wait, hmm.

Lets see how it goes for several months then decide.

Does the gtx 4XX cards uses multi or super-sampling aa's?

Super-Sampling is one hell of a feature for the AA image quality boyz, however the trade off is huge performance drops once super-sampling is enabled.

15% trade off only from 8Xaa to 32Xaa is staggering,

I wonder whats the trade off in performance from 8Xaa multi-sampling then upping to insane 32Xaa w/super-sampling, OUCH!!!!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  3. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Only way i see ATI slashing prices, if the 470 an 480 started flying off the shelves at an alarming rate.

4. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury
    Well hey, you never know... you might discover that there's no noticeable difference between using nVidia and ATi. You might even *gasp!* like it! I'm using my first ATi card in almost 20 years and I love it!

5. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury
    I think that the quality control of these cards must be bad because THG had a COMPLETELY different result. It seems no two reviews are the same except for the comments on power, heat and noise...lol In fact, in a couple of games listed on THG, the GTX 480 was sodomized by the Radeon HD 4870X2!!!

6. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    i had my GTX295 in january 2010 before i sold it.. and it was noisy as the 5970 is. but who cares with the sound cranked up i never heard the card.

The GTX480 (single GPU) is a good card over the HD5970 Dual GPU.. comes close to it.. and with drivers updates it will be even better. i dont see why anyone would pay 700$ for the HD5970 with horrible driver support from ATI?

id say wait for the second revision from Nvidia GTX475 and GTX485, GTX495 thats when u buy and the prices would have dropped a LOT IMO.. otherwise, if im still not impressed.. we can all skip till September 2010 for a new generation from ATI/Nvidia. But i can tell that ATI will have huge problems with there new architecture.. as they always did in the past. So next gen winner might likely be Nvidia..

PS: SLI results look impressive though.. as close to 100% scaling!
    ---> http://www.brightsideofnews.com/new...rce-gtx-480--gtx-480-sli-review.aspx?pageid=5

7. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  8. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    I agree, I kinda meant I won't be buying them, hence no need for a more powerful card. :)

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Strange video, stranger guy.

It was entertaining, but a couple of issues, he directly compares the 1600SP to the 480 Cuda Cores, and not really as simple as that, also the benchmarks for Dirt2 and MW2 seem the opposite of what Guru3D got, and i suspect Dirt2 was running in DX9 mode on the GTX480.

Nice gear though, but i lol'd at 24gb of DDR3

10. Era

Era Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680OC
    Waiting for the refresh is unfortunately not really an option as that'd mean another 6 months or so without a working gaming rig. It's either the 480 now or going with ATI. The extra performance from the 480 is a point in its favor but if the heat makes it throttle come summer that means ****.

11. eddman

eddman Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6G SC
    I made a chart comparing 5870 and 470.

................................guru3d........Hcanucks.........anandtech........tom'sH

Bad Company 2 DX11....R 18.6%..........R 7%............R 44.9%..........=
    HAWX........................R 6.5%..............................G 5.8%
    Modern Warfare 2........R 15.2%.................................................G 8.1%
    Dirt 2........................R 22.5%..........=..................=.................G 5.7%

R means 5870 wins.
    G means 470 wins.
    = means almost equal.

All are at 1920 x 1200, some 4x AA, Some 8x AA.

As you can see the % are very different. What's going on? Somethings not right.

Check them yourself.
    http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3783
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...iews/30321-nvidia-geforce-gtx-470-review.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-480,2585.html

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Yeah i also noticed the reviews , all of them , have very mixed results.

I havent seen that lately - not that much.

Hilbert can you comment on that ?

13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Me too bro :D jajaja...

14. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    what could he comment?, as far as i seen every site has different results..weird ****..

15. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    They're trying to be consistent with themselves, not each other, which is difficult enough if you're at it for 12 hours straight.

16. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    The difference is between who agreed to Nvidia's reviewing agreement to stay favourable.. bribed. And those who remained honest.

17. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
  18. itsmikey76

itsmikey76 Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX5700xt
    :3eyes:Surely you can't be serious?

19. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    If I actually needed to upgrade from my 4890 I would not buy this new nvidia card. The much higher price/heat/noise = loss But I am still glad nvidia finally atleast paper launched a new card so I can read & post about it lol

20. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I personally thin Guru3d would have been more harsh on the review, but since they got an early sneak peak, they didn't want to offend Nvidia. Makes sense, and besides, it's obvious to see that this just didn't go as everyone hoped for anyway.