GeForce GTX 470 and 480 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Even though i have plenty of cash,i will not be buying either a gtx 470/480 as there not worth it for the price,im going to wait until the next gpu release that nvidia provide us all with and see if its any good,i dont see any point in trading in my excellent performing 295's yet:)

2. YWAGMOTH

YWAGMOTH Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    i´m glad i passed nvidia this time and got myself a lovelly 5870.
    it´s a very nice card that idles at 25ºc and loads at 56ºc and with fan speed at 26%. :banana:

3. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    I think I'll wait for NVidia to work out the temp issue and launch their refresh series and then I'll consider purchasing one.

4. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Its not even hot....I coud be inside that card like in sauna =) But im too big for it.

5. 3T3RN4L

3T3RN4L Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870 1035/5320mhz
    dude. lets be fair. i mean seriously. the 400 series had 7 months of long tweaking here and there over and over again causing the delays and nvidia has a much big driver team then ati. there will be small tweaks here and there increasing small amount of performance here and there in most games 6-7% the most no matter if it's ati or nvidia. it'll be a few months before drivers for fermi will be fully optimized and kicking strong but by then maybe fermi 2 or ati 6000 series be hitting the market.

but it doesn't mean fermi be bad choice cause by then prices will be cut down(hopefully) and have a bigger selection of what you can buy in the dx11 market. also i trust Hilbert's review more then anyones since he writes a very well detailed explanation of every piece of hardware he reviews. that's why i love guru3d. there awesome at reviewing hardware with honesty with there own personal opinion. Hilbert is the man releasing this review on time

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  6. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    +1

Im very happy with my purchased card six months ago for 300€ :), it is enough for me.

About Fermi like how is now has some very weak points, but I observe that it´s response to overclock is with a very good performance improvement, so would be nice see what a refresh with high clocks and 512 cores can do.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well apparently there is driver fix coming that is supposed to fix a bug where both cards struggle at high resolutions compared to the 5870, when it really should be the other way around, Nvidia do seem to be breaking one thing to fix another with drivers recently.

I think Fermi2 or 6800 is more than a few months away, probably will be another September release, unless ATI really do value having top GPU spot.

8. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    any website or link to confirm this?

cant find any.

9. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    Nice review Hilbert ,

I like the GTX480 , just gonna wait a few months , maybe there will be a revision with all the cuda cores (512) and the drivers are more optimized.

I see DX11 and almost everywhere better performance then my 2 GTX 280's in sli and this for 1/2 the power consumtion. Or maybe I go nuts an get me two and put me some more sollar panels on my roof.

This I call progress.

Some sli scores http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2010/3/26/nvidia-geforce-gtx-480--gtx-480-sli-review.aspx?pageid=5

10. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Yep, problem they have is the huge collection of video cards they support. ATI dropped support for older than HD2900 cards, where as nvidia still support their older cards.
    Be while off yet, probably early next year for 6000 series. Isn't AMD foundry attempting make the next card on 28nm?

11. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Firstly Hilbert thanks for the review.:)

Regarding noise, it is quite clear that GTX 480 is louder than 5870 but not that bas as in other reviews is highlighted as I see nobody to put his head next to the grafic card.
    Regarding temperatures...well I'm dissapointed as 95°C is a lot:puke2:. Hilbert tested that card on more or less ideal conditions but keep in mind that sommer will come and not everibody have a < 100€ expensive case with optimized cooling.
    The performance of the card is as expected (due to lots of rumors:infinity:) but not jaw braking. Here in Germany a GTX 480 is listed @ 539€ and a GTX 470 @ 399€ and I really don't see the ATI prices drop in the next months givin' the fact that a Radeon 5870 is sold @ 369 €:puke2:.

All in all this is not good for us consumers as WE WANT PRICE WAR and I want my second 5870 for 250€:3eyes:.

12. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    Think I'll stick with my 260 for now, it can play all the games I have at max/good settings and then I'll see what's what when crysis 2 gets released.

If we mainly get console ports, the card I have should be good for another 3 years. :)

13. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    console ports often don't look very good (developer's fault really for not taking advantage of the pc capabilities) and often ports require more power than a pc exclusive game.

so in reality you'll need more cpu/gpu power.

14. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Prices in Poland are insane. They are going to fail vs AMD

GTX 480 - 690$ US. vs HD5870 460$ US. - 50% MORE!
    GTX 470 - 510$ US. vs HD5850 344$ US. - 50% MORE!

How the hell AMD will lower anything ;o

15. Era

Era Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680OC
    I've been without a gaming gpu for 3 months now waiting for this. Now I'm kinda torn. On the one hand performance is good enough and likely to get better with driver updates, price is where I expected it to be and had pretty much come to grips with. On the other hand noise is pretty bad when the fan revs up fully and the heat is a big, big issue. I still want to know what kind of temps and noise levels it hits while gaming as that pretty much decides whether I get a 480 or a 5870. My PSU can't handle more than one card, even the 5970 is outside specs, otherwise 5850/70 CF would have been an option. Adding a high end PSU as well puts that outside my budget.

16. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi my friend :) , i would wait for a refresh if you want to go the Fermi route , thats the best advice i can give you , you already have the msi lighting and theres no doubt in that msi card its the winner and WR breaker for benchies in hwbot , i higly doubt you can beat your own:D MSI Lighting scores with GTX480 , keep clocking that lighting bro:).

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...iews/30297-nvidia-geforce-gtx-480-review.html

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I just don't think ATI need to release a new series of cards yet, maybe slight modifications of the 5870, but to release the 6000 cards in a few months would just drive down the price of the 5000 cards, so makes no sense from a business point of view, but we will see if/when Nvidia release a dual gpu card.

I need a few other upgrades before the GPU, so will do my research then, will also visit some shops i know, so i can see, hear and feel one in person, while its idle and also at load.
    If it's too loud then i would struggle as i use this PC as an HTPC too, and the 8800GT and 4870 i had weren't ideal.

19. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
  20. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Back when I had 2 8800gtx's, sli worked very well in most cases yes but then I got the gtx 216 cause I wanted a single gpu solution and less heat.