GeForce GTX 470 and 480 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 27, 2010.

1. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    @Shocky-XL

Wrong.

Go to the source i'm sick of posting this it is less than 5% different to the 5970.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. Era

Era Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680OC
    So HH, any word on temp/noise/fanspeed while gaming as compared to furmark stressing?

Your reviews are always great but that is one thing I'm always missing. :(

3. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    lol, why would include it, Hilbert's rolling on 20's he has nothing to prove to piss ants...

@Era

My god, what is it about "LOAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" that you do not understand?

Again, since you people seem to have no respect for "THE LARGEST HARDWARE SITE IN EXISTENCE"

I will post links to an onscure site that has compared the dB levels to many other gpu's so you can rest your weary fanboys heads tonight knowing that your inflated ATI purchase price ( due to not competition) was justified......even though the 5800 series sucked at launch and have since gone one to more-than double their lead over the gtx285

but what do I know it's not like the last several generations of nvidia gpu's have shown great driver support or improvements over their life span, oeps, what I meant to was, thank god ATI is here to save us from TWIMTBP, they are evil, how dare they improve drivers, or cut SP's....like the 5850...or 5830.....or 4850....

or phenom II x3's....

do you people not know what binning is?

It is a way for us to get products cheaper, I would rather a 480sp model 480 than wait 6 months...

4. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Era makes a good point, no game is going to stress the card as heavily as Furmark, ie. lower temperatres and slower fan speed.

5. Era

Era Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680OC
    I understand perfectly fine what load is. However it seems to be pretty much universally agreed on that furmark stresses the cards even harder than normal gaming does.

In this case in furmark the card reaches such temperatures that with the ambient temperatures during summer it pretty much WILL reach the 105C threshold that makes it clock down. Therefore I want to know how hot the card actually runs while GAMING which is what most people will be using it for. I don't care if the card throttles under furmark during summer, but if it runs hot enough while GAMING to throttle then we have a problem.

6. thales100

thales100 Master Guru

GPU:
    3-way SLI GTX 480
    If you dont trust Hilbert`s work and methods, why do you keep posting at guru3d ?

7. Shocky-XL

Shocky-XL Member

GPU:
    POV GTX280
    Oh maybe because it would allow us to see the difference between all the competing cards in one place, great that they updated the review to explain the testing methods though, would have nice if that was included to start with for those of us that don't visit here oftern.

Charming place this. :)

Well I don't usually, first time in ages and I'm sure my last for a long time

8. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    i have to rephrase hillbert is not "wrong" but i do believe that the numbers from guru review is somewhat "positive"...

but just one thing imho i would not agree with this review (which is really awesome and kudos for hillbert,for 35 pages and most detailed one) is that this card is not by any measure price vs performance heat. loudness

GURU3D TOP PICK....

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It was already a 35page review, and he has never done this with any of the 5800/5900 cards, so not sure its now an issue.

Alot of this place is charming, dchalf10 just has some anger issues, especially after some beers :p

zer0_c0ol, how was it "positive", you saw the numbers, are you claiming the sound monitor is a Nvidia fanboy lol.

10. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Well tbh he can't rip into nvidia really since they act like a 5 year old when someone bashs them.

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    i was looking at some of shams results sofar 480 @ 1100 = 5780 @ 1350-1400 going by his results.
    monstro got 900 with no volt mods just cooling so thats not bad.
    it seems they need better rams thuo.

12. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Yeah I see where you're coming from. The heat output is undoubtedly a bad thing, and the price isn't so tempting (though that depends a lot on where you live). But looking at it another way, the flagship card should beat or match the last generation's dual GPU card and use less power while doing so, and the GTX 480 does that. If you want the best performing GPU then this card is it (until ATI release their next monster that is:)).

13. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Excellent review hilbert, well done.

My only beef with nvidia's new card, they have enough heat issues as it is, how are they going to release a dual gpu card, without using water cooling?
    External cooling? maybe have just a giant heatsink on it, and have a high CFM fan outside the case pulling air out.

14. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    That's what I've been saying. The only way to can be a dual GPU card is if it's either watercooled or a severely cut down version.

More like a GTX 460x2 maybe

15. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    true..

but we need to be realistic in this economy to make a card, that from other reviews i saw does not match 5970, to much money while sli system, is AWESOMEEE i mean it is out of this world will set u back around 1000-1500 dollars

really does fail don t u think so morbias ?

think the real issue is nvidia took an extra 6 months and really has nothing to show for it. Yes the gtx480 can be considered th fastest single gpu card but putting the heat and power issue aside it is not worth the $100 premium for a few fps gain. if they dropped the price to match the 5870 then it would not be as bad.

On a side note. As it stand now it is roughly the same or cheaper or get a 5850cf setup than 1 gtx480 and the performance would be better on the 5850cf. Which goes to show you the unbalanced pricing of nvidia cards.

Moral of the story is nvidia should drop price to match 5870 and then focus on their next card learning from their past mistakes.

16. dshramek

dshramek Guest

WTF...the 470 is listed on Zipzoomfly for $500 bucks usd? lmao...fail.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2010
  17. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    I don't think it fails, it pretty much does what it set out to but in most places the price is just way too high for what it offers. It's always been the way, having to pay a premium for the best performance. I never expected it to beat a 5970, that would be expecting too much from a single GPU. The HD 5870 surpassed the previous generation's 4870X2, and the GTX 480 surpasses the GTX 295, so I think performance is where it should be, especially when looking at minimum fps and tessellated performance. If tessellation gets used a lot in upcoming games it's going to be strong and have very good longevity; if tessellation remains one of those features that is little used by developers then all that computational ability would be wasted.

Looking at minimum fps, it will provide a way smoother gaming experience than a 5870, so I think it wins on that front, as well as when AA is concerned.

But I wouldn't buy a 480 for the simple reason it's too expensive where I live. Heat doesn't bother me as I'm currently running SLI, and power consumption would practically be halved if I bought a GTX 480.

The GTX 470 on the other hand... I would seriously consider getting two as the scaling is very impressive and the price would only be a little more expensive than a 5970.

Nvidia won't match the price of the 5870 simply because the GF100 die is so expensive to make, plus it's faster than the competition anyway.

In other words, I don't think it's a fail, and I don't think it's a win... more of a meh.

18. Wanny

Wanny Guest

Also my thoughts

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I saw the video regarding the loudness of the 480 and that things sounds like a mini vacuum cleaner and i like it! But it´s just too loud for when we are playing. Still my 8800GT with stock cooler also made a lot of noise while the fan was running at 100% and would hit temps superior to 90 degrees! An aftermarket cooler solved the problem very well and i think that the 480/470 are also cards "screaming" for a good aftermarket cooler.

I´m still waiting for the prices of the cards to appear on Portugal to decide if the cards are worth it or not, specially the 470 that i´m considering to replace my 8800GT.

For me the most negative aspects of the cards, are the performance, that is not as good as i was expecting, the clocks, specially the memory ones that are below the 4.0Mhz mark and the overclocking potential mainly on the 470, that seems to have a small headroom for overclocking.

In the end, if the 5000 series don´t drop their prices, i´m going to be very mad at both ATI and Nvidia!!!:mad:

20. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060
    i prefer hilbert's noise test than others. putting the DBa gun near the fan is like gaming with ur head next to the gpu fan.