GeForce GTX 470 and 480 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Mar 27, 2010.

1. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Of course the 5870 is better, but there are cases where they are very close, an amazing feat for a single gpu, and like I said, there are many driver updates ahead. I'm going to get an AMp edition 480 which should perform around 10-15% better, which will be insane

EDIT:

:eek:

Just saw the 32aa chart OMFG, 53 frames for 8aa, 48 for 32aa.....DAYUM, now i'll know i'll be forcing 32aa in as many games as NV control panel will allow

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    the GTX 480 is better than the GTX295 for various reasons..

1) no microsutter

2) single gpu = do not have to rely on SLi support, the card is already fast

3) in a couple of benchmarks the GTX480 is same or beats the gtx295 by as much as 15fps (that's quite a good number if you ask me for a single gpu)

so no WOWs imo. ;)

3. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    So the people whos finally looking for a gpu upgrade, what you all gonna do now?

me, I am still thinking, Should I go with another gtx 216?

I am still debating. I might hold off until the drivers gets matured. Still debating.

4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    So we can stop this argument right now, despite some anamolies in a couple games, no one should be saying the 480 is faster than a 5970. That's freaking silly.

And Just Cause 2 doesn't have a crossfire profile yet.

5. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    TDP of 215W and 250W, what about the idle board power..?

6. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Go back through and read the thread...no one ever said the 480 was BETTER than a 5970, but it does beat it in some cases and is very close in others.

It doesn't have to be black or white, the 480 is between the 5870 and 5970 and is more towards the 5970 is most cases, driver updates should lessen the gap even more.

7. 3T3RN4L

3T3RN4L Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870 1035/5320mhz
    it was a really good review. nice job. but i'm disappointed . waited this long and it tags ahead the 7 month old 5870 just a tad on most games.

8. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    amen..

ps. lol my gtx285 seems to be OLD now.. :wanker: i´m gonna look for a gtx470..

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It might be a 7month old 5870, but the drivers for the 5870 are now 7months mature, while the drivers for the GTX480 are beta, and i know from personal experience how much extra performance Nvidia drivers can bring, even for my old card.

[​IMG]

Lower than the 5870 accoring to HardOCP, idle power consumption is more important to me anyway.

10. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    easy, wait a month or two at most, drivers will mature and price surely will drop, then go for the GTX470/480.

SLi (and crossfire) can be problematic in some cases, so its best to go with the fastest single gpu you can get your hands on, imo. ;)

11. 3T3RN4L

3T3RN4L Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870 1035/5320mhz

same here. i had too much expectation for these cards. well lets see how much they'll improve in time. if there is any overclocking models. i might wait for fermi 2 or ati 6000 series but i'm happy with my 5870 i had since launch so i'll wait. :)

12. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Most websites show lower for Ati:
    [​IMG]

13. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    I stand by my assessment.
    480 is too much money, too much power usage, and too much heat for only marginal performance improvement over 5870 while 470 is less power, less heat than 480, but is marginally better than 5850 in most things.

480 = Lose.
    470 = Win.

14. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    Your right, there's no microsutter and it is the fastest single GPU available. I don't doubt it's performance.

I just don't see it as an improvement over the architecture of the last generation. Yes it has DX11 and a new AA mode, but it just seems like a bigger GT200 chip, at least the GT240 has onboard audio.

You could also change the cooler or just up the fan speed, but "as delivered", it runs hot. Power draw is also nit picking, but entirely an issue if you plan on SLi or Tri SLi.

15. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz

I agree brotha. Doesnt seem too great for the intense benchmarks as of now. I'm still going to give it a try.. Something may improve with drivers but who knows.. :( Anyway.. awaiting the gtx 480's

16. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    how can you call a difference of as much as 20fps marginal in some games?

[​IMG]

or 16fps in Just Cause 2 with every eye candy enabled and a big bastard resolution.

[​IMG]

that's quite a lot if you ask me.

aye, but the average user won't SLi today or in the near future, temps shouldn't be a problem unless for overclockers who want the lowest temps to gain more performance (which isn't really needed so far with a card like this), again i had the 4870x2 running often at 105c+ i didnt care, 1.5 years running like a champ :)

a bigger GT200 is not a problem either, that's a bit like complaining about intel Nehalem being the successor of the Penryn, who cares as long as it delivers the performance you need eh? ;)

17. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    look forward to your endeavours! suerte chico!

18. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    I love the hypocrisy, at launch the 5870 was only 10-15% faster than a gtx285 due to IMMATURE DRIVERS, and it has since gone to be 10-30% better as a mean average.

Now the 480 comes out which beats the 5870 by a considerable margin in most circumstances, and not only that but equals or beats the 5970 in a FEW cases.

The you have 32aa mode, anti jittering sampling, better DX11 performance, physx ( improved performance again ).

Yet people write it off as a failure.

Hypocrisy tastes good.

By the time they hit stores en mass there could be 2 more drivers out.

I will be buying a factory o.c card. and zotac absolutely pump the $#!+ out of the AMp edition.

So lets say a 10% performance increase for drivers, and a 10-15% increase for the O.C

You have a card that is very very close to the 5970 within a few short months.

People need to get over it.

I'm just glad it wasn't slow as I had feared.

Gonna get an i7-930, new mobo and ram to go with this beast and it's going to be happy 60frame MINIMUM gaming for many years to come.

19. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Well I think overall my prediction of -5% to +30% average for the 480 over the 5870 (with the correct 10.3a drivers Hilbert was one of the few wise people to use) is pretty close.

However, when the 5800 series came out I said they were overpriced (at MSRP) and since they came out not only has MSRP increased but street prices are way out of the park.

Seeing the performance here the 400 series is not a smash out of the ballpark and if anything comes out much more equal in terms of price/performance with the 5800 series, the 400 has better tessellation, but the 5800 consumes far less power.

I also disagree that the drivers for the 400 series are going to unlock further performance of magnitudes of 7-10% here or there. These cards have been done for 6+ months and Nvidia's huge driver team has to have been working on tweaking these drivers since forever. I would venture to say that in terms of driver improvements both teams will make some fixes to under performing games, but overall are near their max for optimization...maybe 1-2% here or there.

All AMD has to do right now is implement price cuts (though rumors say they won't) and really put the pressure on Nvidia as their cards care much cheaper to produce. I think everyone out there as consumers wants a price war.

Then you have the issue that Nvidia isn't going to produce a 5970 competitor any time soon, the 480 doesn't come near enough to dethrone it, and they are very unlikely to have a dual GPU card that will fit under the 300Watt limit.

To make a dual GPU card they would have to use the equivalent of a GTX 460 x2 as even the 470 uses too much power. I'm glad Nvidia finally has gotten their cards (despite being mainly a paper launch today) to bring some competition to AMD, but this card is far too late and far too underwhelming to really put the scews to ATI.

If nothing else I would hope the addition of more cards on the market will drive down street prices at etailers.

20. jamsbong

jamsbong Member

GPU:
    EVGA GF560Ti 1Gb
    I've seen enough. just a few reviews and the verdict is 'NOT IMPRESSIVE'.
    The card is as predicted, a dustbuster.

have a listen to the recorded noise from this card.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/03/26/nvidia_fermi_gtx_470_480_sli_review/7

I would prefer not to spend $500 buck so that I can ruin my hears.

The card is faster, no doubt... but six months late? it is not special anymore.
    What stands out the most from FERMI to me are:
    1. Greater power consumption
    2. Much much louder
    3. Hottest card ever!
    4. 1 billion more transistors than Evergreen
    5. Tessellation performance

I don't think anyone with a right mind would spend $500 to buy this junk. Unless you're Royal FAN....