Nvidia the ongoing Stutter / lag issue thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PirateNeilsouth, Oct 11, 2009.

1. KEZZA

KEZZA Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX 670
    Thanks for info Ill give it a go tomorrow
    Appreciated

2. DOGgle

DOGgle Active Member

I disagree.

3. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    You can't disagree with facts.

4. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    bs facts

so what you just said is that any geforce from 8 on doesnt support native ps2.0 and 3.0 or 1.1 for that matter?

or vs (vertex shader) 1, 2, 3.0..?

Guess you dont' know what unified architecture means, do your research more before you say such misleading facts..

5. chinobino

chinobino Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3060Ti Gaming X
    I think you have a valid point here.

The method and frequency of hardware polling can definitely cause stuttering and system instability, particularly when the system is working at its peak. I first noticed this a long time ago on my 9800 Pro using ATI Tool.

I have manually changed polling times when playing some fps games as 1000 ms (once every second) caused the occasional stutter.

Setting the value to 5000 ms can make a big difference, as can shutting off all unneccassary monitoring of plugins/modules that you don't need the data for (particularly with Everest).

There is a thread about this here.

6. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    Just tried Battlefield 2 with the very latest modified laptop drivers ( 188.22 ) dated December 1st and Battlefield 2 works great. No stuttering or lag or any texture issues.

So this is leading me to believe that all my issues are down to the Adapative/Performance option in the normal nvidia drivers. Because every driver that has ever had this option has caused me grief!

7. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    I have come to the conclusion you suffer from selective ignorance.

SM4 does not support either Pixel shaders, or vertex shaders. Clusters of Unified shaders are mapped out to emulate these on the unified architecture. This emulation is handled at the driver level... which was why Nvidia had broken support for Fixed function titles for about the first 18 months of the G80's life.

on DirectX 9 (SM2) capable hardware, (Excluding NV30) the fixed function pipeline is non-existent. Microsoft made sure that DirectX9 handled any Fixed function translation to compatible shaders.

the initial G80 drivers had incomplete support for the emulation of SM2/3 shaders, which is why applications and api enumerations that required them failed.

Read > Comprehend > RESEARCH > Then attempt to counter.

8. bloowhalez

bloowhalez Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 270
    yes after every major PC release within 2 weeks nvidia releases a driver with rare bugfixes and sometimes perf optz. its like clockwork.

happened with mw2, dirt 2, dragon age...

i vote in favor of this thread being closed someday.

the new drivers (195 and up) fixed the stutter, AS LONG AS U DO CLEAN INSTALL. if u install over old drivers its like not flushing after u poop

9. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    Why? it's an issue i had and still do with any driver that has this Adapative/Performance mode option.

188.25 works brilliantly! :banana:

10. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i've had no stutter or lag with the 195.65 WHQL drivers except in Fallout3, it's a known issue, every other game works 100% for me.

186 though was and still is the best driver to date but i'm happy with the 195.

11. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    like wise, ignorance is a bliss.

12. SickBoy254698

SickBoy254698 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 780 OC
    Gee thanks for the advice on driver installation. Do you think we're all just stupid?? I mean seriously. Why would you even post something as idiotic as that?? Then tell us that Nvidia is on top of it and we just don't know it.

First off this has been going on for months and the first mention of the issue by Nvidia in there release notes was last month. I've read the release notes for every driver for the last four or five years so I think I would remember. The issue of course is said to be fixed but for myself and many others it is not. Fallout 3 is the main problem but I also have issues with COD 4 and many others do as well.

Second Fallout 3 is not the problem. It may be where the issue occurs most but the 182.5 and all previous drivers do not stutter nor do they have problems with any other games I play. If you had read the first post in the thread before you offered your crappy advice you would know that already.

Last I have mentioned this before but since people like you don't read all the posts before you give us your "advice" I will repeat it. You have a 9800 series card. The problem mainly effects GT200 series cards so no one here is shocked or really cares that you don't have any problems since the card you have is rarely affected.

Try posting on topics you are actually farmiliar with in the future. For example you wont see me posting in any threads about the 9800GT or the E6400 since I've never owned either.

13. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    I think i reproduced something similar in oblivion, while walking down some stairs of one of the Ayelid ruins (Inside at the time). When i looked straight down, the game locked up for a fraction of a second, and then resumed. the FPS counter jumped down to 2 fps for this duration then back up.

It stopped occuring once i had completed the entire ruin.

14. dabrooks

dabrooks Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA GTX 980Ti Gaming
    Fallout 3 sky stutter solution

Found a Fallout 3 "sky stutter" solution that works for me with the 19x.xx drivers. In the game launcher menu, options, advanced, changed Water Multisampling to Low. Not sure how that benefits "sky" LOL, but it did the trick! Using the 195.81 Win7 64-bit drivers.

15. oozish

oozish Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX2 280 SC
    I can go all the way up to the 190.62 without stutter, but after that it's stutter city in TF2...but that's the only game I have problems with. Still it's a deal breaker since that's my 'main' game.

**I've tried all the recent releases.

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    did u try 191.87 quadro too? they worked ok in TF2 even these 197.15 do, but are a little slower..

17. xtremegamer

xtremegamer Guest

Stuttering Prblms in NFS Most Wanted

Yeah With 8600gt I cant play smoothly NFS Most Wanted with 1024 resolution , with Graphics Normal Settings there is little stutter , Processor is Core 2 duo 2.6ghz ,4gb ram, any Idea???????? Driver 196.21 Version...

18. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    the only two games i had stutter issues with nivida's drivers, were fallout 3 and risen, both fixed with 196.75, 197.13

19. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Played Fallout3 with 196xx and 197.13 driver and no stutter whatsoever. I'm on a 9600GT/XPPRO by the way. Might be a win7 issue?

20. Atoll

Atoll Member

GPU:
    GTX 295 Dual PCB w/ bckpl
    Try turning the in-game AA on, say 2x or 4x. The stuttering typically arises when there is horizontal movement.