**The HD5770 Thread**

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by keenan, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    I restarted my PC...I uninstalled a few programs and it's running fine. I still don't understand why reinstalling my video card drivers did the trick because every time I restarted my PC, the issues persisted.

Imagine you are playing the game, then you experience 3-4 second long pauses, in the heat of the action. That is what happened in Mass Effect 2. It happened in Prototype as well.

I don't think it was a performance issue with my PC. Perhaps it was a program that I disabled. But for now, the performance is fine in both games, no pausing.

I played the entire ME2 with these long pauses.

Regards,

2. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    I've also got Catalyst 10.2 drivers at the moment. Well if I go to the device manager, it tells me I've got driver 8.702.

Regards,

3. tooler

tooler New Member

Sapphire problem HD5770

The Card is the Sapphire 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770.

I flashed to the Asus Bios about a week ago...everything went perfect. The card ramp up to 1040/1350 with no problems. Running all week. Then I decided to throw some new TIM on the fan to see if I could get slightly lower temps.

Took about 5 min, put the card back in, and forgot to plug in the 6pin on the card... system gave a 2A error (MSI 790FX-GD70). So I plugged in the power on the card...same error....reset Cmos..same error.... pulled the PSU cord..cleared CMOS with the pins... same error. Wont post once it reaches the 2A code.

Put a different card in(Nvidia), and the system boots fine.

Put the 5770 back in....2A error.....WTF?

Now I'm starting to get concerned. I've been to the Mobo site, without much help, so any suggestions would be appreciated.

4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    SOunds like you just didn't push the PSU pin in all the way.

Also, remove the pin and check that nothing got stuck in there or in the card's pins.

5. tooler

tooler New Member

I know it seemed to go in all the way, but I'll check again.... thanks.

6. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    what are your temps like ? ive got the CuCore Asus 5770 and its overclocked to 1000core at 1.2v and 1350 on mem, if i run kombuster it can get upto 90-92 degrees which i think is pretty high compared to other temps ive seen for 5770's

Asus boast about the CuCore cooler being much better as it contains x amount of copper blah blah blah, but i wish id gotten a batmobile cooler instead tbh....lol

7. tooler

tooler New Member

Same deal...:bang:

I think my card is toast

8. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    As a matter of interest, did any of you guys watch my short video showing the load times in Dead Space, v-sync vs no v-sync ?

I would like feedback on that. Thanks.

Regards,

9. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300

Does it do this when using D3DOverider ?

10. Olorin

Olorin Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4070
    D3Doverider ? Sorry, what is that ? :) I assumed the very short load times in Dead Space that I had seen on youtube and elsewhere were associated with those with SSD drives, but then disabling v-sync gets me within the same ballpark. I was very happy with this huge improvement in speed, not just in load speed but in terms of frame rate.

Still have absolutely no clue how or why disabling v-sync improves my load speeds as much as it does. It's not like it improved the speed by 5-10 seconds. No, it improved it by 40+ seconds. It only took like 2-3 seconds to load.

Also, frame rates were more than doubled. Looking at the video on the camera shows no difference but the difference is absolutely huge here. But let me be clear, this only affected Dead Space. No other game showed the improvement in frame rate or load speeds.

Regards,

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010

11. tooler

tooler New Member

Will 2 different 5770's work with Xfire?

Noob question:

Will 2 different 5770 cards work together, or am I asking for problems..?

The two cards in question are the HIS and the Sapphire. Specs look identical, so I'm thinking they will work.

Thx

12. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Yes they will work for sure.

13. bobcb

bobcb Member

GPU:
    MSI Hawk R5770
    I swapped my CuCore for an MSI Hawk 5770, the CuCore cooler is junk and noisey even at idle. So much happier now.

14. Chernobyl

Chernobyl Active Member

GPU:
    xfx 4870 1gb
    I have no idea why this happens either, i had the exact same problem on dead space with the lag and "drunken" mouse, but turning v-sync off just made it feel so much better. It's one of the most common solutions to any problem with that game, it just seems to be a bit of a bad port.

15. Feneeth of Borg

Feneeth of Borg Member Guru

GPU:
    HP ENVY RTX 2080 LM
    Strange as that is, it is true that turning off v-sync improves performance, (obviously not this much the reason is probably more indirect) considering that the gpu must wait to send a frame to a monitor because it has to wait for the closest refresh, rather than simply rendering and sending a frame through the frame buffer continuously. Higher refresh rates alieviate the bottleneck that v-sync creates. which is why many games dont force rates down to 60Hz, although many do (why I'll never know, its bad on the eyes, the bottom part of screen slightly lags becaue the frame is out of date by the time it displays and it bottlenecks perfromance). RF Online allows v-sync without changing the refresh rate, so it cut out tearing without botlencking as much, I can display higher fps when possible AND I get higher fps when not hitting the maximium of my monitor, fraps reporting 77fps in the corner is beautiful indeed (rounded up from 76.59 lol).

Olorin, could you make a new video while running fraps so we can see actuall fps? I dont really see how turning off V-sync would speed up load times at all, tho.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010

16. mkchiu

mkchiu Member

GPU:
    Working may depend on your mainboard, and the relative age of the cards' design. Early cards apparently had issues with PCIe 1.0 slots or PCIe 1.1 slots which were implemented incorrectly somehow. Newer models might be better. I would look at the Sapphire 3L-something, etc.

Also, I don't know if CrossFire requires working video BIOSes, however, AMD seems to like to break video BIOSes if the recent MSI 58xx cards, (and certain other cards) are good examples.

17. mkchiu

mkchiu Member

GPU:
    Agreed, other 5770 coolers are not quiet. The Hawk is very quiet at idle and probably as close as you can get to a good variable-duty HTPC-card even without soldering changes. I find it difficult to hear the Hawk upto around 70% duty cycle.

18. oNlyyy

oNlyyy New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5770 1GB
    First time in the forums :)
    got my sapphire 5770 a while ago though i really wanna push it forward and turning powerplay off isn't an option for me due to my country's hot weather :\

running now at 960/1400 and i really wanna push the core some more and for that i need to flash the bios, i know it will cancel my warranty but how risky really is it, i mean can my card get ****ed up?
    thx.

19. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    If you do follow the the commands in DOS when flashing you shouldn't have a problem.

20. oNlyyy

oNlyyy New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD5770 1GB
    Well, thats an obvious hh..
    but do you know someone who managed to break his card due to bios flash?