ATI HD5xxx series, EPIC FAIL series. Post your problems here! Will ATI do NOTHING?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by PlatoonSgtElias, Mar 19, 2010.

?

Do you have problems with the new HD5xxx series? Artifacts, Lock Ups, GSOD.

1. Yes I have

16.3%
  2. No I havent

65.5%
  3. I just want to see the results

18.2%
  1. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Just because upping the 2d clocks resolved the issue doesn't mean that it was the primary cause for the problem. Think about it, if the 2d clocks were the true cause of the issue, then why are there so many people that don't have a problem with leaving it at stock?

The answer is the same as when CrossFire would crash my old computer a year ago unless I lowered the 3d clocks below stock - it was because of a faulty part, not the video cards or video card drivers.

Just because someone has something listed in their specs other than what they claim to have, doesn't mean they don't own one. A lot of people have multiple computers, and some people don't always update their specs on the go. I fall under both categories.

2. AlvinMaker

AlvinMaker Member Guru

GPU:
    2XEVGA GTX480 SC
    My 5970 ran BEAUTIFULLY until recently, after updating to the beta of 10.3, I experienced the BSOD/re-boot issue. Seems the low 2d clocks FINALLY reared their heads for me.

Updated profile XML, no issues.

A few quirks are par for the course with "bleeding egde hardware". I wouldn't trade my handful of minutes fixing things for the hours of gaming I have enjoyed...Just a thought. :nerd:

3. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Some cards just aren't stable at the clocks ATI has chosen. Does that make them "Faulty" yeah, because they don't operate perfectly, and its a hardware issue. But in the same sense they're not faulty sense the problem is fairly easy to remedy and the cause known, so with a little tinkering, you can have a fully functioning card.

And MY comment was in reference to the fact that people are talking about his CPU overclock and whatnot. Clearly has nothing to do with the issue and it's just people overreacting to his overreaction.

4. Gamer2k

Gamer2k New Member

GPU:
    HD5870 Vapor-X
    I have had no proglems with my 5870. It is overclocket. Playing BFBC2 a lot :biggun:

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Well 5870 has been the best card i have owned so far.

However as of late havent been 2 impressed. Bfbc2 performance in dx11 to me seems ropey with explosions and smoke...i.e framerate hits. Napoleon suffers from lag with again smoke effects and when u zoom in on units.

Assasins creed2 runs with vsync as there is no way you can turn it off and occassionally u get fps dips and a noticeable slowdown.

However dragon age and mass effect 2 and dirt2 and cod modern warfare2 run nr perfectly. Also bordelands has been solid.

So I wouldnt say dx11 has been a success yet..well dirt2 is a great running game. No slow down at all.

Perhaps the other games like napoleon and assasins creed its the game engine not the card/drivers that are at fault. So I would say the 5 series are the best atm but arent way out in front. I can still remember 295/285 performance :)

(also could be which game like nvidia and ati).

Def not epic fail but not epic win. Still a good win for ati.

6. Donkeylips

Donkeylips Member

GPU:
    2x POWERCOLOR pcs+ 5770
  7. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    You completely missed the point I was getting across. My old CrossFire system was unstable with the video cards at stock clocks ( 750/900 ) because the motherboard was faulty. This has nothing to do with ATI or the product they put out.

Point in case, the cause of the problem isn't always what it seems to be. If the OP went through two HD5970's and had the same issue, then that's a pretty good indication that his system is unstable, not ATI's product.

8. serbicu

serbicu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Suprim
    i had no problem what so ever with my 5850...even tried OC and no problems......i've read some reviews before buying my 5850(of course the... first one was guru's 3d review:)), and no one complained about compatibility or driver related problems....

9. sjfwhite

sjfwhite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 5870
    5870 here - runs great and haven't had a single problem.

My notebook (Asus G73JH) has a mobile 5870 and it has not posed any problems either. :cheers:

10. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Used to have gray screen of death, but it vanished on its own.

11. jskyg

jskyg Master Guru

GPU:
    powercolor 5850@775/1125
  12. Trolle

Trolle Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX3070
    no problems here and never had

13. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    You didn't say motherboard.

14. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I know, I said this.

Which means - A part other than the video cards

15. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    I have had problems with my current 4870 yes its not the 5xxx series but the problem was actually because the vram has no heatsinks or anything on them

wouldnt suprise me if some 5xxx cards had the same problem

[​IMG]

Look at the top you can even see the bare chips :/

16. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    RAM chips don't need their own heatsinks if the fan blows air adequately on them... obviously if you overclock, then it's a different story.

17. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Erm sure thats why the video ram heats up to about 80*c and crashes out, added with the fact the 4850 cards had about 4 heatsinks attached

the part with the bare chips you can feel the heat coming off it anyway and thats at stock settings

18. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Unless you've attached some method of monitoring temperatures to the RAM, or measured it manually, then you don't know the temperature of the RAM.

You are assuming MemIO is the RAM, and it definitely isn't, it is on the core of the processor. And 80C won't crash it unless it's faulty or overclocked. I had that EXACT model, and I know it has high MemIO temps, but it doesn't crash. Not at stock, not if the card isn't faulty.

19. vhon05

vhon05 Guest

GPU:
    powercolor 7970
    The only problem with my card are those gray screen one's but those were fixed for me a long time ago. These cards are great and if only I'm not living in a tropical country I could reach the stars overclocking these cards.

No problemos here.

20. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Only a problem if you try to OC it too high.