Forceware 196.75

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Galdere, Mar 2, 2010.

?

How is this driver working for you?

1. Better than previous drivers

147 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. About the same as previous drivers

43 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Worse than previous drivers

42 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. smut

smut Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960 SuperSC
    Thanks for the .xml file, appreciate it!

Crysis is well known for being horribly unoptimized but that isn't Nvidia's fault. Crytek is responsible for that, Nvidia can make tweaks here and there (and they have) but I believe they've gotten as much as they could out of driver side tweaks. I don't feel Nvidia is holding anything back heh, they'd have no reason to on a 3 year old game. Nvidia/ATI love to promote increased performance so if they had it to give, I have no doubts that they would. I don't believe Nvidia nor ATI would ever intentionally not give us performance. It is against their interests to do so as more performance = more sales in the enthusiast market!

Unless they could mess with the actual engine code, Crysis will continue to be unoptimized in terms of GPU usage, Crysis hasn't had a patch in years and Crytek has moved on to the sequel.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Trying to crank too much performance out of a card is how people get much higher temperatures, if greater performance was possible, Nvidia wouldn't try to unless it was safe, especially after the fan speed issues they have had recently.

Crysis could be more optimised, but there are many worse looking games that run worse than Crysis does, especially if you have a dual core CPU.

3. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    So is it ok to use these drivers if you have aftermarket cooling? I've got the accelero GTX 280 cooler? Also does the problem only occur if you come out of sleep mode?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  4. geppwnd

geppwnd Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680
    Problem only when you resume it from sleep. I'm still using this driver and it works smooth and fast on BC2. I just shut down my computer every night. You don't need aftermarket cooling.

5. BigMyke

BigMyke Member

GPU:
    EVGA 580 SC SLI
    These drivers are fine if you don't run at AUTO fan speed. Run them at a fixed fan speed above 60% when gaming. and 40% at idle.

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    This are Great drivers , i have not had a single problem with them , tested in W7x64bit , Vista32bit nad XP 32bit with 285GTX SLI , 9600GT SLI , 8400GS :thumbup:. It seems that it affects some people only.

7. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    meh 196.86 are much better , the dpc latency fixes alone are worth it!

8. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Need to try and put these back on again, as well as check 196.86, got a L4D2 splitscreen thing happening tonight.

How is the performance of these with AC2?

9. wisitor

wisitor Master Guru

GPU:
    9800GT 713/1728/1000
    my card died today :(
    only win safe mod works somehow. i dont know if its related to this drivers or not i newer noticed temperature increase with evga precision or any problem at all. maybe it was just cards time to go :(
    just to be safe i sugest you guys stay away from this drivers.

10. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    If safe mode works the card isn't dead, use driver cleaners to remove all traces of the drivers and try and boot into windows again, if not then try an OS reinstall.

11. wisitor

wisitor Master Guru

GPU:
    9800GT 713/1728/1000
    when i turn on my pc i get blue stripes on screen later on i get exclamation marks everywhere,and all this is befoure i even get to windows loading screen.and then i get very very corupted blue screen of death.
    r.i.p my lovely card,my warranty is still ok so i hope i get a decent replacment.
    anyone knows wich nvidia 9 series equals my g92 8800gts card ?

12. Raptor5150

Raptor5150 Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX460 SC EE
    I am running sli with launcher/scheduler setup for my fan speeds based on gpu temp...the driver issue should not effect my fans am I correct?

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    They will most likely give you GTS 250 as a replacement.

14. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    9800 GTX more or less. It has higher clocks but is basically the same card. GTS 250 alike.

15. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    about a week on and still no problems with temps apart from the dust build up ..... typical

16. Flakman

Flakman Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I found these faster as well. No problems in any game so far, have played BFBC2 for 6 hours straight last night. I really like these 196.86's.

17. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Too bad I can't vote cuz I have to wait for the notebook version I'm expecting later this month but your system specs look totally awesome, nobody can deny. ^

18. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070

Do you think these drivers build up dust faster?:)

19. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Well I loaded up these drivers again and I checked my temps and my 275 was at 107c these are broken for real!

20. anth_15

anth_15 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    You have to manually tweak the fan speed if you want to use these drivers. Ive been using them for a couple days fine idle at 40c and 64c on load for me at 80% fan speed.