**The HD5770 Thread**

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by keenan, Nov 7, 2009.

1. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Hi! My Sapphire HD5770 has arrived. Everything is really fast and smooth ^^ Well, everything is fast and smooth compared to my previous 8600GT :D

I think its the newest Sapphire HD5770 model, it doesn't appear on the official Sapphire web.

This one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...73&cm_re=5770_sapphire-_-14-102-873-_-Product It has two copper heat pipes and auminium fins all under the plastic cover. The cover seems like it drives some of the air outside the case, but it doesn't. The fan is audible at like 60%.

I didn't OCed it, and i think i wont, i dont need it with my current monitor (max 1280x1024).

Installed right on the previous partition, without reformatting (even if reformatting is widely recommended when you had a nVidia card before, like me). Using driversweeper and all that. Every thing works great, the only issue is that Sims 2 wont start, but i dont care too much. No issues in STALKER, GTA IV or Crysis (i still think that is booring, even if it works great with everything on high and CCC, is booring! :D )

2. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    Youll have to reinstall Sims 2 as itll be geared up for the Nvidia card, just save your saved games and uninstall and reinstall :)

3. Feneeth of Borg

Feneeth of Borg Member Guru

GPU:
    HP ENVY RTX 2080 LM
    If they are maxing out your monitor, you might be tempted to to force up your monitor's refesh rate with powerstrip, I garrentee it would be stable 76Hz, if not 76.5Hz. Give it a go, a report back, you can't really break your monitor, it'll simply say "cannot display this mode" if you go too far.

4. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300

Whats the benefit from running it at a higher Hz ?

5. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nah, i use 1154*874 already at 75Hz. 1280x1024 only appear with 60Hz wich cause a little strain in my eyes. If not, i just put 1024x768 (native resolution) at 85Hz and thats it. Its a CRT by the way. Don't have the money to upgrade that...

For my at least, less eyestrain. At 60Hz you can notice a little flickering in my CRT.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  6. Covert

Covert Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD 5770 1000/1300
    you dont get the flickering with lcd's but i remember my 19" Hansol pro you could set it at 1024x768 at 100Hz, i used to like the fact that if your game struggled on one resolution you could just lower it for much better performance, i know you can still do this with lcd's but omg it looks awful where as the crt's you couldnt tell :)

7. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2
    Agreed. This is one of the major downfalls to owning an LCD. So instead of being satisfied with lowering your resolution, it just incentive to go out and spend more money on an upgrade.

8. Donkeylips

Donkeylips Member

GPU:
    2x POWERCOLOR pcs+ 5770
    Has anyone here tried running 5770s in crossfire on a 16x/4x board? I was thinking of upgrading to a 24" monitor but my 5770 struggles in games like BF2 BC2 @ 1920x1080.

Motherboard on newegg says :

DDR3 w/ Dual PCIEx 16 slots CFX Ready
    1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (PCI_E2) with x16 operation
    1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (PCI_E3) with x4 operation

9. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    We need some cross technology, hehe, both CRTs and LCDs have their advantages. Money is on LCD panels though, so, i doubt that some one could create a small sized CRT monitor, a flat one. That would be awesome :D

The gap from 16x to 4x in PCIe 2.0 with a 5870 is noticeable, but, with a 5770 i doubt it will a major bottleneck. See if you can get a new cheap mobo with two PCIe 2.0 8x or 16x (8x will be enough).

10. Donkeylips

Donkeylips Member

GPU:
    2x POWERCOLOR pcs+ 5770
    OK, thanks, just ordered a 2nd 5770. If it is a bottleneck it shouldn't perform worse than a single 5770, right?

11. Satan's Slut

Satan's Slut New Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire HD5770
    Hello!

Hello chaps - been lurking the forum for a few days - you seem like friendly helpful people, so I thought I'd join.

I have a few questions to ask - please feel free to reply to me as you would a retarded child, as I know very little about computers!

First, here's my system:

Windows Vista Ultimate (x64) Service Pack 2 (build 6002)

2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (4 total)
    Not hyper-threaded

Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5K Rev 1.xx
    Serial Number: MF7079G02400520
    Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 0603 07/03/2007

ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series (Sapphire)
    Acer AL2016W [Monitor] (20.0"vis, s/n L640C0304044, January 2007)

6GB DDR2 RAM

1TB HD

So, I'm very happy with my 5770 and am currently overclocking it using ATI overdrive (950, 1350). Now for the questions:

1. Is this a good, capable system?
    2. Should I be overclocking my processor? If so; how far can I go without buying extra cooling?
    3. I have everything on my GFX card set to the right, or on max; I do not have 'use application settings' switched on. If I am running Crysis with everything on max also, am I running double the settings, or does one cancel out the other?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

12. Feneeth of Borg

Feneeth of Borg Member Guru

GPU:
    HP ENVY RTX 2080 LM
    Don't worry about your card, its set up right, they dont double, they override.

I always suggest overclocking if more perfromance can be obtained. Try overclocking through the Bios by increments until your cpu becomes unstable, I suggest tuning memory timings and overclocking RAM as well, if you cant do that in Bios try "memset". Some timings are tweakable and stable even when ram is overclocked so its worth a try.

I suggest you use something other than overdrive like ATI tray tools, since it has an artifact tester, powerstrip also useful for forcing higher monitor refesh rate, but dont use forced setting for videos, you monitor wouldn't be synced correctly anymore.

13. Satan's Slut

Satan's Slut New Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire HD5770
    Thankyou for your help!

Where can I find an idiot's guide to overclocking a processor? I have no idea! Is it easy?

14. sajibjoarder

sajibjoarder Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx 1080 FE
  15. Satan's Slut

Satan's Slut New Member

GPU:
    ATI Sapphire HD5770
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2010

16. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Well, guess I don't have to post any pictures. :) Congrats on the card. Just got mine yesterday and finally had a chance to play with the new toy tonight. :) Install went well, using ATI 10.3 Preview Drivers. Installed MSI Afterburner which was obviously designed Alexey Nicolaychuk the maker of Rivatuner. Also installed MSI Kombuster which is really an MSI stamped version of FurMark, the GPU stabilty tester. Started cranking up the clocks and so far I'm stable at a 1,010 Core and 1,300 on the memory. I needed to use MSI Afterburner to up the voltage to 1.312 to get it stable. Default voltage is 1.2 and max is 1.35. Might be able to push the memory further, but so far I'm pretty satisfied. Sweet card, had the GSOD issue with my old XFX HD 5750 which I sent back to Newegg. Next up is to install Bioshock 2 and have some fun ..... :metallica:

[​IMG]

17. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nah, you should have better performance. Anyway, i don't remember where, but i read that you can experience microstuttering if both cards work on different PCIe speeds.

WTF? I read the review again, i said "noticeable" ? 5% performance loss going from PCIe 2.0 x16 to x4 on a 5870. Thats not noticeable :D

Here is the review:. http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Express_Scaling/1.html

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  18. RB94GT

RB94GT Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD5770
    I have had my screen freeze 2 times now wile playing games. First time I totally screwed up and shut off with the power button and had to reload windows:bang:. Just happened again will playing Arkasylum wound up hitting alt-control-del. game started running again. After I exeted I noticed it say desplay drivers stopped responding. Do you think this is a hardware or software problem? I haven't OC card yet and noticed the otherday when I was defraging looked like it got stuck so I think my HD may be starting to go bad. I have the first version of the XFX5770.

19. RB94GT

RB94GT Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD5770
    I have been running this card for 3 months now with no problems till the last few days.

20. Donkeylips

Donkeylips Member

GPU:
    2x POWERCOLOR pcs+ 5770
    Well got my 2nd 5770 with 0% performance increase in crossfire and is actually running slightly worse than 1 single card in x4 (x16 / x4).