Nvidia 196.86 Windows 7/Vista 64bit

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PirateNeilsouth, Mar 5, 2010.

?

How is this driver working for you?

1. Better than previous drivers

41 vote(s)
    53.2%
  2. About the same as previous drivers

21 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Worse than previous drivers

15 vote(s)
    19.5%
  1. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    after loading instance in wow fps dipped to 17 from ~80 for few moments, some stutters with spell effects too

using adaptive, no idea if clocks dropped

2. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]

i think its nforce mobo drivers fault.. he said it him self in DPC thread, it dropped by 300 while he changed them.

3. milktree

milktree Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780TI GHZ x2
    i read that the modded inf is causing bsods and bad performance on the laptopvideo2go fourms. a guy posted a fix but it was only for cards that were listed in the inf. i noticed worse performance when i installed these too. but i cant use the normal inf because i'm using a desktop and it wont detect my card. what do i do?

4. Pedroshin

Pedroshin Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 SC
    Well in my case it seems with power setting set to "Prefer maximum performance" only the 2nd of the 4 GPU cores goes back to 2D clocks... Wonder when is Nvidia planning on fixing this?

5. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Heaven Benchmark
    DX10/high/Ani x2/AA x2/FS 1/Res 1680x1050

196.75: FPS: 33,8 - Scores: 852
    196.86: FPS: 36,4 - Scores: 917

6. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    doubt they will, prefer max is what u get, max clocks most of time

adaptive then might drops clocks during gaming, this u can fix by using max performance, or find drivers that dosnt do it

7. bokah

bokah Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 670GTX 2G
    u can either rely on modded inf or make one on ur own

gtx295 usually uses section 003 and 002 or in quadro drivers 008 and 007

laptop2go infs allways refers to section 003 for both gpus, which for some works well

u can compare original infs of other drivers and look what cards uses mostly same sections as gtx295

8. juampii

juampii Member

GPU:
    SLI GTX480 @ 850 / 2000
    he has a x-fi sound card, and the DPC LATENCY problems are the 80% of the times related to that.

@PirateNeilsouth: you can try to move your sound card to another pci slot, maybe that solve your "problem".

9. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    After further dpc latency testing i'd say it was most likely down to the Nvidia ethernet drivers , it was constantly up and down between 300 and over 1000. However with the beta 15.53 it's staying between 200 and 400 !

I guess the dpc latency fix in these drivers have helped aswell :nerd:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  10. Barton C++

Barton C++ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Hawk GTX460 1GB @ SLI
    Some of the newer drivers makes screen too dark in TrackMania United, so did this. I'll maybe go back to 196.75, can't remember experiencing the dark screen, and really never saw unexpected temp raise - I also always monitor temps (OSD or LCD)

L4D SLI problems with atleast the last 5 drivers, maybe the stutter was always there but never noticed? Start SP Campaign Dead Air, first map...run around the table and throw pipe bombs. Jerky near NPC. Have 60-80fps SLI, where single GTX260 gives 150+ ? Other maps play well. Sometimes ALT+TAB helps, but never on first map Greenhouse on Dead Air.

Win 7 x64 Home Premium - SLI GTX260

11. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I'll try once more just to make sure it wasn't a bad install problem, or Sensor problem. I experienced high PCB temps using GPU-Z to measure GPU temps.

Edit:
    Pharma

12. SoLoR

SoLoR Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti
    First of all... why are you using something released in may 2008 when new versions are out? And i cba to recalculate from farenheit to celsius, but if temperatures are different for 150 degrees then it must be something wrong with reading of them, or you would have dead card already (assuming 48 degrees F is still positive temperature in celsius and you dont have some phase cooling on your graphic to keep it under 0 celsius).

13. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I just reinstalled the 196.86 and temps now seem normal compared to the 196.21's. I noticed the light on the back of the GPU board was red, so during the reboot I made sure it was seated properly. The light turned back to green so my high temps were NOT due to the 196.86.

Keeping these for now.

Pharma

14. cricket bones

cricket bones Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW
    I'll probably get in crap for this from a mod, but I'm always curious why people sign their messages at the bottom when it's in a great big font to the left.

15. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Because they think they are something special :)

16. matsuke

matsuke New Member

GPU:
    BFG 285GTX
    Hi I have a problem is to update the nvidia driver is a problem with the monitor I have a Viewsonic VX2835wm and the 186 version is going well but when I step to the range of driver from 190 up screen that stretches over should bone it widens over due, the 1920x1080 resolution I use is what he wanted Seber if there is a solution for this. gracias Saludos

17. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
    I'm using "Adaptive" , always and never had problems so far. The only driver that was real bad, was the 195...series on my rig.

18. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    Yea, we are special ... just like people who put "OC" or "Overclocked" and the speed they running at in their forum Hardware signature. Unfortunately it's something we have to live with! :)

I'd suggest you two to keep it on topic!

Pharma

19. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Use Windows Performance Tool Kit & you'll find out exactly what's causing it. Here's a decent guide. http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/140263-how-to-get-the-cause-of-high-cpu-usage-by-dpc-interrupt/

20. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Considering it's my topic?

Thanks ShadowMyth i'll check that out ! :dave:

PirateNeilsouth
    PirateNeilsouth
    PirateNeilsouth