Forceware 196.75

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Galdere, Mar 2, 2010.

?

How is this driver working for you?

1. Better than previous drivers

147 vote(s)
    63.4%
  2. About the same as previous drivers

43 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Worse than previous drivers

42 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. soddit112

soddit112 Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX560 Ti
    my 9600GT works fine with these drivers, no fan issues at all, and a small bump in FPS all round. Keeping :)

2. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah, we also pulled these drivers due to the bug.
    NV will be working on an update until then pelase revert back to an older driver !

3. SoLoR

SoLoR Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti
    To all people having video playback problems with EVR Sync/Custom in MPC-HC, its FIXED in drivers 196.86, so this was definatly driver problem... before you all go "where to get" go on laptopvideo2go, Dell drivers, only for Vista/7 x64 atm.

4. sharkchu12

sharkchu12 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 590 & GTX260+ PhysX
    Aww, these drivers were awsome, everything seemed to have improved. No fan issues either? I'll stick with these.

5. rentalbrain

rentalbrain Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor HD 7950
    That's cool, thanks for the info:)

6. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Even the 196.86's were pulled as well. apparantly not fixed

7. SoLoR

SoLoR Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti
    to bad... well i dont have fan issues (and i didnt have them with 196.75), so ill keep using them... dont think we will see new drivers this week that will fix all this fan problems, maybe next week....

8. FordLynx07

FordLynx07 Guest

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3070 DOC
    This 196.75 was the best driver I ever installed but because of the recent news that this can cause problems to some v.card models, I switch back to 196.34. I didnt encounter any fan or heat problems to my GTX260 or 9500GT, except for the flickering issue on StarCraft 2 Beta but its better to be safe.

9. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2 locked up on me last night, I had to force my PC to shutdown and reboot. Thankfully... doesn't seem to be any problems caused by it.

But I'm wondering if the game locked up because my card got to hot. I had been playing for sometime before it happened.
    Upon reading this today I rolled back to the previous set.

I hope Nvidia get the updated/fixed set out soon. The 196.75 gave me a nice boost in BC2, the game is still playable... but there's a noticeable difference.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    this fan control issue don't effect people with After-market HSF for the video card that is directly connected to the motherboard or psu for those that wanted to know,

AVP now runs flawless and smooth and warhead graphic corruption is gone compared to the last official drivers so less I find some fatal problem with these I will stick with them till i have reason to update them like a future new game that need newer drivers, A

11. Peerless

Peerless Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 sli 4gb
    Well we aren't alone these drivers may perform well for people but they are suspect when it comes to turning off your gpu fan.

12. Smikis

Smikis Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Tri-X R9 290

i had this problem.. and i wouldnt noticed werent it for starcraft topic in random forum.. i been gaming for last 2 ? days with those drivers.. and when i checked my temps went way beyond 80+ in half load games..
    my pc didnt even crash.. and my cards are fine.. but when i see temps over 80 and my fans stay at same % they were before starting napoleon total war.. which is freaking hungry beast.. and going over 80 in campaing map.. you figure its wrong.. and yes i been playing this and other games last 2 days without any notice..

some ppl had it die within 10 mins.. some like me had it for 2 days without any harm.. luck? better quality ?

problem is there.. and not every game is effect it seems..

sc2 flickers like hell.. impossible to even quit the game..
    fans works while playing borderlands.. even tho it crashed on me when i was checking.. heck first time in 2 days..
    fans doesnt work at all in napoleon total war.. it just been there on 39% since idle.. till way over 80..

13. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Just use common sense for a bit here guys. If there was a widespread issue in the driver that prevented our GPU fans fans from spinning it would have happend right away, not 1 or 2 days later. A driver bug is instant. It is not like 2days later the bug kicks in the driver like some twisted virus, geez...

A small percentage of gamers had there cards fried and then all over the net gamers are freaking out, web sites are pulling the drivers off and everyone is acting like this is the end of the world as we know it. Chances are the ones that fried there cards had them OC'd up the ying-yang and back anyways. Yes, there must be a problem or Nvidia would not have taken them down. But at the same time if this was a common widespread problem my 9600GT would have fried in a heart beat because right after I installed this driver I ran Street Fighter 4 BM 3 times in a row and also 3dmark06. Plus played quake3 live for 2 hours straight. Guess what? No problems...

I think this is a rare bug that only effects certain models of cards only under certain conditions. A bug in a driver would effect everyone not just 1%.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  14. LEXX911

LEXX911 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950
    So this driver does not affect people with after market HSF right?

15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    no if your hsf unit is hooked directly to the mother board or psu it dont effect you, just the people that use the fan that came original with the card that was hooked directly to the GPU card it self

16. LEXX911

LEXX911 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950
    Cool, I have the Thermalright HR-03 GT GPU heatsink and a separate fan. Hopefully this is just only the stock fan problem and not the GPU overheating problem also.

17. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    If it is connected to the graphics card controller then you're still *possibly* affected, you're at risk at least anyway.

18. LEXX911

LEXX911 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 950
    My external fan(120mm) is connected right to one of the psu cable running full speed at all time.

19. milktree

milktree Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 780TI GHZ x2
    this may sound stupid but does setting the fan speed to 100 with a program like rivatuner prevent my card from burning with these drivers?

20. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB
    If you can tolerate the noise go for it. Your card won't be burning up at that setting. I keep mine at 66%.