[WIP] ATX PSU Maximum Combined 12v Ratings

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Makalu, Nov 30, 2006.

1. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    It doesn't say which components CM used in my PSU :p (unless I'm going blind)
    I want to correlate some 12V ratings between PSU manufacturers vs manufacturers of the internal components used in the PSUs.

2. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
  3. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    oops sorry I didn't see your question till now...that's about right for a typical single GPU setup yeah but it's not a matter of assignment or a fixed value it's just what it takes to do the job at the current state of the art.

My Gigabyte Odin GT PSU measures amps on the major voltages in real time and stores the peak values and the three different systems I've used it in the 5V and 3.3V rails peak at 5-6A so that's about 40W and the -12V and 5Vsb rails aren't likely to exceed another 20W.

Xbitlabs measured those rails in several different setups here:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/system-wattage.html

Somewhere I saw somebody measured 5V and 3.3V on an SLI board and they both about doubled when the second card was added...just one board and card so there will be some variations.

4. dagwoood

dagwoood Member

GPU:
    HD4870 512mb
    Hi Makalu :) Hope you're keeping well :thumbup:

I think the specs for the OCZ GameXstream 850w may have changed. You have it listed with an output of 64a (which is backed up by the specs listed on an etailers site here in the UK), but if you look at the specs now provided by OCZ, my arithmetic puts the figure at 68.58A. Here's a link for the specs:

http://www.ocztechnology.com/resources/drivers/GameXstream_850W_chart.jpg

Something you may have to check/confirm perhaps?

dagwoood

5. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
  6. -The_Mask-

-The_Mask- Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD7950 WindForce
    Coolermaster UCP series are build by Acbel.
    UCP 700 Watt can deliver 52A.
    UCP 900 Watt can deliver 71A.
    UCP 1100 Watt can deliver 83A.

7. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah they're there...when they came out they were called UCP in some countries and UMP in others so I just called them "Ultimate". The model numbers are the same which is the important data anyway.

8. cmrosado

cmrosado Member

GPU:
    X1950GT
  9. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well I think that's a peak rating and not continuous but the way Arctic Cooling throws the words peak, maximum and continuous around as if they're all the same it's hard to tell.

The secondary is identical to the Antec Earthwatts 500 (original Seasonic build, not the current Delta build) which carries a 34A rating but the Artic Cooling uses a slower fan hence the 33A rating.

Anyway I have better things to do then quibble over an amp...do you?

The Arctic Cooling 550F is not rated 25A...it's just the OEM version of the retail 550RF. But see your link isn't to the 550F as your post suggests...it's to the AX-500F which is something else entirely.

10. cmrosado

cmrosado Member

GPU:
    X1950GT
    Just trying to help.

11. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah I know sorry...I'm a grump...especially when I have to spend time trying to sort an old unit when I'm trying to find time to add some new ones that should be here.

12. cmrosado

cmrosado Member

GPU:
    X1950GT
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  13. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    LC Power gives me a headache like no other...off the top of my head I think they've sold models

LC6600
    LC6600GP
    LC6600GP2
    LC6600GP V2.2
    LC6600GP V2.2b
    LC6600GP2 V2.3

none of which are really 600W units...maybe they tried to get it 80+ certified and it failed so they lowered the rating

14. cmrosado

cmrosado Member

GPU:
    X1950GT
  15. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    right...and the labels say 650W but was tested at 80+ as a 600W...I just don't know what to make of them anymore...there's a bunch of different LC6550 models some with a single rail and some with two rails and a combined rating given and some without and total wattages are all over the place too. Like I said they give me a headache like no other. Some of their units are true rated and some aren't and tempted to just leave the whole brand off the list and tell people that your guess is as good as mine.

16. cmrosado

cmrosado Member

GPU:
    X1950GT
    80plus has some strange results too.
    Corsair VX-550W comes with 34A in their test, if i am seing right: http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_reports/CORSAIR-CMPSU-550VX-550W-Report.pdf
    While LC 650W GP with 368W (LC Power site) that gives 30,(6)A shows 32A at 80plus.
    I mean VX550 in Corsiar site has 492W in 12v. rails while LC6650GP has 368W but acording to 80plus they only differ by 2A! I don't understand.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  17. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well I think what's happening there is the LC Power that 80+ tested is the one with no combined 12V rating on the label (well we know that since you can see it in the picture there) so either they've summed the two rails together to arrive at a combined number (wrong) or they've simply ignored the part of their formula that's supposed to insure that they don't exceed any combined rail limits. Can't see for sure what the OCP limits are on that label and don't have time to wait for the clearer pictures you sent me to check (I'm on dial-up and that loaded real slow). If it's two 19A rails then that would be 3A less than the single rail Corsair's 41A and then they lose another amp due to their formula.

I can send you a link to their test protocol with the formula if you want to do the math and see what's going on...it's headache material too.

What I'd really like to know is since 80+ supposedly gets their loads off the label and their formula then how come this unit labelled 650W was tested at 600W...I mean yeah I know it's an overrated unit but how did 80+ know that...or better yet how much did LC Power pay under the table to them good ol' boys in Tennessee to give them a 50W break.

18. cmrosado

cmrosado Member

GPU:
    X1950GT
    The two labeled are 550W GP.
    As far as i know there is only one 650W GP version (much more recent than any of the LC 550W PSU's) and that one has 368W, if i'm not mistaken: http://www.lc-power.de/fileadmin/us...er/6650gp3_v2.3/LC6650GP3_V2.3_Datenblatt.pdf
    It has two 19A rails but 368W makes them 31A (more or less).
    Corsair VX550 has 492W that corresponds to the 41A single rail that is shown on this PSU data.
    What i think is strange is not the 32A on the LC 650W GP test but Corsair showing only 34 amps.
    That 50W gap you are talking about it is strange for sure.
    But more, i red somewhere (ixbt site maybe) that in an ordinary PC non 12v rails are responsible for something like 40 to 60W. Acording to this and the fact that they measure 32 amps (meaning 384W is the maximum the 12v. rails can be responsible for, in a PC with the LC6650GP), then i would say that this PSU has a maximum of ~450W on a regular PC, not even close to 600W.
    I mean what's the point of measuring more than 200W on non 12v. rails and make them responsible for the PSU to go 600W?
    (same arguement goes for the VX550W 80plus test)

Or am i misreading the 80plus tests?:
    http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_reports/CORSAIR-CMPSU-550VX-550W-Report.pdf
    http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/psu_...GREEN POWER EDITION_ECOS 1781_600W_Report.pdf

P.S. Pls Forgive me my bad english

19. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    well I may be losing the plot here but 80+ never maxes out the 12V rail at 100% loads (due to the formula they use to arrive at their load distribution). And the amount of load that they put on the 5V and 3.3V rails is a lot higher than what any system puts on those rails yep. They've never attempted to use realistic loads and I don't think they know enough about PSU's or computers to even know what those are...they just have a formula for "balanced loads".

I think it's all a bit of a scam for a lot of reasons I won't get into but yeah a manufacturer can (and do) improve their 80+ results just by changing the rating on the label even though internally nothing has changed and no real difference in efficiency.

Part of the reason this list exists is because of the fact that the total wattage rating on a PSU doesn't tell you what it's capable of since 12V wattage can vary by well over 100W between two units with the same total wattage and when you buy the one with the low 12V rating you are paying for something you will never use (5V and/or 3.3V power).

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  20. cmrosado

cmrosado Member

GPU:
    X1950GT
    Nox Urano II 630W - 38A
    I don't have photos but had the box in my hands today.
    There is also a Urano II 530W.