New Ubisoft DRM requires internet ALL the time

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 18, 2010.

1. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    icslbdvl, good points, but all wrong.
    1) You cant afford a game, dont buy it. Its not a necessity its a luxury.
    2) Buy budget games from steam / any budget store for 5-10 bux a piece. I dont buy BMW's every year, I buy 4 year old Daihatsus.
    3) You cant really do the maths for big businesses man. When games cost 10 bux do people pirate them less? Studies have shown that no, piracy is just as high. Why? Cause its easier and cheaper to pirate them.
    4) Lets say I sell my games for 3x the population for 1/2 the price. At half the price I might not make any money. So whats the point?

2. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well that means it works then, since the intention of this is to kill off lending rather than kill off piracy.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    While stealing something you can't afford may be justified in some people eyes, the end result never changes.

The less games bought on the PC, for whatever reasons, the less PC games released, and the worse the ports will be of any that are.

This isn't developers picking on PC gamers for no reason, the ports became lower quality and DRM became more common place because piracy went and sales went down.

4. WiCz

WiCz Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290X OC WF
    A lot of you have completely missed the point. This is not about piracy, it is about UBI treating it's paying customers like thieves and making them jump through hoops for the 'priviledge' of playing a title they just paid for!

Steam works fine and is not in the slightest bit inconvenient. UBI's plans however are downright draconian and will cause people all kinds of issues, while the pirates play for free with nothing in their way :(

I wouldn't care but the quality and longevity of most modern releases is so pathetic I very rarely buy games anyway. My most played game of 2009 was a free mod for a game I bought 4 years ago and it has quality and longevity in spades!

Any people who think the software companies have a right to shaft paying customers with hugely draconian drm and hugely dissapointing titles needs to have another think to themselves :)

We, as consumers, need to start boycotting companies that decide it's their right to impose ridiculous restrictions on honest paying customers, enough is enough!!

5. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Steam was hated in the beginning. It cause major problems and evolved over time from evil protection to cool software distribution platform, which still prevents reselling, but isn't that bad.

There's no DRM on consoles, because it's not allowed by Microsoft / Sony / Nintendo. On PC platform publishers are allowed to do anything. DRM is acceptable for me as long as it's not evil (no problems, you can install on more than 1 computer) and the game is good (no need to resell).

What Ubisoft does is like shooting your foot, or even both of them. I think they'll have to change it. Their sales already dropped because of StarForce and the new protection shouldn't be worse. If it turns out that it won't change, it'll be a major failure.

I hope they'll improve this system before Heroes of Might & Magic 6 are released. I've been waiting for it and it would suck to not buy it just because of protection.

6. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    icslbdvl, I can see you are an excitable person.
    1) Stealing from a thief is not justified.
    2) making expensive games is not a crime. Therefore you are not even stealing from a thief. U are stealing from a person / company who you think are over pricing. If its over priced dont buy it. Let the market do it thing. By playing the game AND not paying for it you are shooting yourself in the foot cause you are getting used to paying nothing for AAA games.
    3) Playing ****ty games for no money? I bought mass effect 1 for 8 bux, the entire total war series for 20 ( thats 5 games ) the entire unreal series for 15 bux ( 5 games again ) mirrors edge for 2, rainbow six vegas 1+2 for 15. . .The list goes on. And wanna hear something? I make a pretty decent buck.
    But when I didnt, when I was a lowly student making barely minimum wage, yes I bought 1-2 games a year and played budget games only. Why? Cause I wanted to be fairly treated myself when I am a software developer myself.
    Which I am now.

So you can rationalize all you want , and you might be right about how ubisoft are doing wrong things. Simply dont buy their games.
    Ven0m for example did convince me. Steam is awesome, but not as draconic as ubisoft planned defence. So I simply wont buy ubisoft games. And no, i wont even play the pirated version. Why?
    Cause I have basic morals.

7. N.O.U.G.N.

N.O.U.G.N. Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080 8Gb
    I might have said this before but the future of gaming is compute
    only secured compute application on OS-less hardware is the answer.

this would work for all forms of information medium

or we can all just get rid of money and build a resource base economy :D

8. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    I dont know what that means.

How can it be on OS free hardware?
    U wanna code in assembly for every game?

9. N.O.U.G.N.

N.O.U.G.N. Master Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE GTX 1080 8Gb
    what I mean by compute is: no x86 instructions, no DX11, and no OpenGL just a super fast calculator that runs the game.

if the game is the only thing running on the chip then it can't be exploited except maybe by hardware modification and that easy to solve by using nonstandard hardware designs.

with existing programming technology we could greatly simplify coding game with Logic rules or python, then output math code.

if all digital information where compute apps then the apps could control there own usage via biometrics.

I know it an insane big brother control idea but it will work.

10. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    1) it wont work
    2) if you want to write in python and then translate to a mathematical code ( machine code ) then you are just writing in python. Python runs on a translator, meaning it gets translated to machine code line by line. An extra translation would make it so slow it would make it ridiculous.
    3)
    . That... thats just nonsense. Sorry dude, I dont want to beat your ideas down, but...well...wtf dude.

In a nutshell, u want to run things on a huge turing machine which does basic calculations. Thats what a computer does. Writing in strict logic is impossible.
    NO , not hard, but impossible, NO genius can do it.
    Thats why we have languages, and APIS, and everything dude.
    I've been writing since the dawn of computers, and going back / ignoring current technologies is not the way.

11. NoviceRei

NoviceRei Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D 460 825/1079/1650
    if I have accidentally bought "X" game (without demos or anything to preview it just relying on all the marketing hype this companies are putting around), then found out it was crap, who would not want to resell it?! it's a companies fault to develop ****ty games and try to sell it to everyone else for $60. isn't it trying to rob us of our money!?

it's like..

dev: we have a new game! *flashes dozens of ads and paid game reviews*
    us: me wants that!
    dev: pay us FIRST!
    us: *buys the game and play it* oh ****, what crap..
    dev: sorry no refunds dude, and you can't resell it! haha!

this is what i feel when a game comes out. I ask myself, would i buy it or not..? but without any confirmation of how good the game is, I often would just not buy it rather than risking my money. but if the game was cheaper, i would have decided to just buy it and not feel bad if in case it turns out to be bad.

i really think pricing is the key to more sales, and the difference has to be significant relative to the current prices. not just a few dollars off of the original price.

12. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    market forces being what they are, if you dont buy something that is too expensive and no one else does either, then market forces will bring prices down ( if possible, not everything can be automatically cheaper ).
    BUT if you cant afford it / think its not worth it, but others do, then, well, market forces will shape the price to make the developers the most money.
    capitalism at its best.

13. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
  14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  15. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    Firstly I was kinda dissapointed to see games priced at 60$. That was somehow tolerable. But this new DRM makes me tempt to get pirated copy. When I cannot play a game the time I wish even after paying 60$, wtf is it really worth supporting them?!?! Damn:3eyes:

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    ******* hilarious, im crying here :D :D :D :D

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    We will be crying if the crack does cause it to corrupt the game, especially if you have bought the game.

Let's see how many people finish SH5 before we start gloating.

18. salanos

salanos Maha Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX980 4GB (Ref.)
    I might just buy this one on X360/PS3 just to get around the dumb DRM.

19. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    It's not the crack for the legally purchased game that is the issue it is the fact that if a crack exists then the anti piracy has been defeated ergo their is now nothing stopping people from downloading free pirated versions of the game.

Mind you Ubisoft are on the case, they released a patch for the game to resolved the crack anyone with half a brain knows fine well that if you have a cracked game you DON'T install any updates. This fact alone shows what contempt these publishers really have for their customers.

All I can say is what a god damn shocker, the DRM that does nothing but bug and annoy the legit punter who bought the game has been cracked within days of the games release and as per usual the pirate will get the superior version of the game... now apart from the 1 billion people who use PCs who could have predicated that?

20. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    Man, this is bad for Ubisoft. I am sure they've hoped to get at least a month or two piracy free run for their games with this DRM. Now, not only will their game be pirated by pirates, but it will also be pirated by legitimate buyers. Publishers should have just stuck with Starforce. And I have a feeling the failure of this drm is going to have big effect on pc gaming industry's future in a bad way.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010