Please Fellow Gurus Help Me Fix My HD

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by aparicio1, Feb 26, 2010.

1. aparicio1

aparicio1 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA/GTX480SLI
    20 minutes ago y was listening my iTunes collection of 11k+ thousen songs then the power failed and after reestart my 1.5 trb seagate Hd is recognized as a 500 gigs that needs to be formated to be used by windows ......so I'M BEGGING please reply

2. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    have you run disk check or anything similar on the drive yet?
    if not that would be the first thing i would do

3. aparicio1

aparicio1 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA/GTX480SLI
    Imposible cause the drive needs to be formated to do so
    and i want to recover all my data cause as i said now the computer is tinking that it's an unformated 500 gigs HD The model number is ST3150034A1S

4. barwell1992

barwell1992 Guest

GPU:
    ASUS gtx560ti on T260HD
    sounds like 2 of the platters have died :S

5. aparicio1

aparicio1 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA/GTX480SLI
    please dont tell me that

6. nvlddmkm

nvlddmkm Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX285
    No backup?

7. aparicio1

aparicio1 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA/GTX480SLI
    what do you mean?

8. aparicio1

aparicio1 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA/GTX480SLI
    just installed a progam named ntfs recovery and the partiton name of my hd is listed in there ...........it's actually scaning it, it seems like is only the ntfs information is missing XXXXXXXXXXXX my fingers

9. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    well that answers that backup question...

Unfortunately, unless using expensive equipment, it is nearly impossible to recover data from dead portions (or dead drives in general) of a drive. Therefore, a backup is always recommended.

Which reminds me, need to get that 1TB drive soon for my own backup...

deltatux

10. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    no you do it from a boot disk, eg BART PE, or Hiren's Boot CD, etc. and load the tools you want to use onto that

but as the others have said, keeping a back up of your data is the best way to ensure it is safe

11. aparicio1

aparicio1 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA/GTX480SLI
    Deltatux .........Bro even tho i'm not a big poster on the forums...I'm a big fan of yours i'm good reader and allways loved the input you give and if your data is important as mine don't waite cause now i feel lost ..............not only need to pay 100 buks + tax on another 1.5 tbs but i also have to buy a good recovery program

12. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    +1

If that does not work and you are sure there is a hardware issue, then buy another of the EXACT same model and switch the controller board.

barwell what in the world are you talking about? It's a bunch of disks on a spindle that all spin at the same time and the info is magnetic. Disks don't break, the motor fails if anything or the armature jams

13. aparicio1

aparicio1 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA/GTX480SLI
    the back up program i mentioned show my files but i need another hd to buck it up .....i guess i'll just wait ti'll spring , cause right now rent is my only priority ,,,,, I'm a mason and NY is Under ice right now
    aniways guys if sombody know of any solution please

14. d_mouse

d_mouse Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ 7900XTX
    try running the DOS version of this

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools

if it passes that test, then try booting to a boot disk to see if you can access the data on the drive that way, and if not then run the windows version of that program i linked to and see if it comes up with anything

15. aparicio1

aparicio1 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA/GTX480SLI
    yes the files are there and i actually recovered some of them but if i go into windows explore it says local disck and if i try to open it ....windows says that it needs to be formated as stated before .......what worries me is that i can't acces it in windows itself and if try to format it windows recognizes it as a 500 gigs only ..........which i haven't done cause somehow i'm hopping for a miracle

16. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    thanks, I'm flattered.

Yes, backups are always important even at home. It's bad enough to lose business data, but I always think that losing your personal photos and home videos are the worse (even though I'm not that old). So, always keep a backup. A 1TB (~US$79.99) hard drive is a great price to pay for protection than losing your precious data.

If you use Windows Vista or Windows 7, it comes with a very nifty simple backup tool for simple backup. Although, better 3rd party solutions are recommended. However, if all you're looking for are simple and basic tools, the one that comes with Windows is sufficient.

deltatux

17. aparicio1

aparicio1 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA/GTX480SLI
    Man ..............ah...... there are pictures stuff videos and 9 yeras of my life in that HD ..

18. Faces Of Death

Faces Of Death Guest

GPU:
    Dual nVidia GTX680 4GB
    9 years, that's Harsh even cruel, but ultimately to be expected

19. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    This is free and it works:

http://www.pcinspector.de/default.htm?language=1

or it has for me many times in the past but I've always had a second drive or a good partition to use for the recovered files...dunno if you can save to a CD disk or not but any logical drive should work...maybe estimate how much data is recoverable and important and see if it'll fit on a cheap USB flashdrive.

20. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    You should ALWAYS back everything you have up, at least twice. You should have backed all those pictures up on three different DVD's or CD's, just to be safe.

Speaking of which, I need to do that myself.