Radeon HD 5830 review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

Radeon HD 5830 review We test the Radeon HD 5830. So where then was still a gap in the market for ATI Well in-between the Radeon HD 5770 and Radeon 5850 there is room for another product. A product...

More...

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    According to how much it will be you can get a 5850 for £15 more :S

hmmm it will have to be around 170-180 for me to even give it a glance

Also i like how you added the MSI AB bit about unlocking.

Oyeah what happend to the rampage II extreme you break it xD ?

3. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Nice, but why the high price? It'll make more sense for this card to be at US$220 at launch instead...

Nice card though.

I don't think people would rush to get this card at that price until it comes down and have a good gap. Right now if I want to get a card I rather take the Radeon HD 5850 than the 5830 for US$10 more.

deltatux

Last edited: Feb 25, 2010
  4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Yeah, can't say that I'm too impressed by this at all really...It was suppose to be cheaper than the 4890, wasn't it? really isn't...

With that money saved from the 5830 to the 5770, I can buy something else for my computer. Say, more memory or another hard drive really. I can't say I could ever justify paying that much for the card, when in a lot of tests it doesn't go too much faster than the 4890, and even the 4870 in a few cases.

5. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I say the biggest disadvantage isn't the lower shader count, it's the weird reduction of ROPs. I thought the 5800s will all have 32 ROPs.

I'd rather pay US$239 for a product w/ the same ROP than a product w/ half that at that price.

deltatux

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Your conclusion was the first thing that I thought when I saw the price, number of shader clusters and raster operators. For the price it should have been 8 x 160 shaders not 7. Cutting the ROPs in half was a killer too, I don't know how the groupings for that works but couldn't they have cut it to 24 instead of 16?

Dumb move by AMD.

7. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Really though, all the 58xx series are, are just cut down from the higher card. The 5870 is the same core as the 5850 as is the 5830, just with clusters of shaders taken out, and clocked slower, and then ATI trying to put a limit on the overclocking of the cards. Which is really sad to see.

8. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I would look past that if their items weren't so outrageously overpriced. Now that prices are finally lower on their cards the cheapest I can find an HD 5870 is $410 before ridiculous taxes and shipping costs which put it at about $500.

I swear all these prices are absurdly artificial. Weren't nVidia and ATI under investigation in the past for price fixing?

9. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Really right now, with the 5xxx series, ATI has no real competition. I'm not saying that all of the 5xxx series are faster than all of the 2xx series from Nvidia, but there's nothing to compete generation to generation. Until Fermi comes out, prices for the ATI cards are going to be a bit up there still.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Then when Fermi comes out it will be at the very least $600 here for their top single GPU card, very slowly the prices on Radeons will drop and by the time one is worth buying the HD6000 series is almost out. Then the cycle repeats. The only way to get out of the damn cycle is if there is some super magical sale out of nowhere.

11. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I find that it's NVIDIA's fault for going too big for their cards, I'd say they'd definitely cost about at least US$500 on release.

deltatux

12. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Truth be told though, right now there isn't a major performance difference in the 2xx series and the 5xxx series. So for now, the cycle is a bit slowed down. There is definately a difference in the performance of the 2 series, but for me personally it's not worth spending the money to upgrade on.

13. Jonp382

Jonp382 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X
    ATI has been cheaper than Nvidia for quite some time and still is. You should be upset at Nvidia for being unable to compete and engage in a price war.

Anyways, ATI isn't a charity. Corporations love money and need money. Couple that with the fact that the 5800 cards are more expensive to manufacture than the 4800s were at launch, and you get higher prices.

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Yeah slowly became more and more unstable thus in the end had to RMA it. Likely a micro fracture due to the stress of swapping hardware in/out all the time. Decided to swap it out with the eVGA X58 Classified; with the same configuration of course.

15. jamsbong

jamsbong Member

GPU:
    EVGA GF560Ti 1Gb
    I have to say.... this card is a disappointment! Long live my beautiful 4890! hahaha....

the 4890 still beats the 5830 in many games. I'll rather purchase a 4890 or gtx260 if i don't own a good card now. Otherwise, if i can afford more, the 5850 is the most logical choice. 5870 is too expensive for a single GPU card.

DX11? well, i reckon when game developers worked out all the DX11 features, there will be a whole bunch of really fast cards available. probably 1yr to 1.5yr down the track.

16. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    wow.. that's lame.. the 4890 is on par or faster. Atleast it overclocks real nice. Atleast it overclocks nice

17. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Yeah i was a bit dissappointed by its overall performance, felt that it performed to close to the 5770. Except in, i think it was COD5 and HAWX.

Now that i've seen the prices for them at OCUK well the sapphire is around £80 more expensive than the Vapor X Sapphire 5770 which to me makes it even less desirable!

18. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Thanks for the review, was thinking of having a sibling get one of these, but at that price, WTF no thanks.

If it was $190-205 give or take, it would be fine, but not at $260 USD.
    You can get a 5850 for $280 USD on newegg.. possibly even with a free power supply.
    It just isn't worth it at that price.

Thanks for the review, it's exactly what i was hoping for, and expected to see.
    Sadly, with that price, it just wont work out.

19. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    hmm performace isn't quite what I expected, price needs to come down a lot I mean these things are retailing for £200+ at OCUK!

20. redgiwrgos

redgiwrgos Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X HD 5770
    If it was cheaper It woukd very good!But I would give so much money to have in some cases just 5 FPS more than 5770!