Is Deus Ex worth buying?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by crushilista, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Gheed

Gheed Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD5850
    [​IMG]

2. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    I left that out because it doesn't make a lot of sense. All games have "gameplay" and "storyline." Something more correct would be that Deus Ex had a good balance of stealth, action, and roleplaying.

I've never said it's the worst ever made; in fact I have stated repeatedly that I really enjoyed it. I'm just arguing that in fact it has been surpassed in every way; it's outdated, obsolescent, whatever you want to call it. Still a classic, still very influential, but still outdated.

IMO if a game is outdated enough, it becomes unplayable. Yeah I've mentioned the graphics, which are the most glaring problem with DE today. I'm sure the storyline holds up fine, but without a solid game to go with it, that isn't much.

Gameplay-wise it's also outdated. Modern games have better AI, features like leaning, iron sights, cover mechanics, and customizable weapons and armor, realistic physics, large amounts of voiced dialogue, the list just goes on and on.

3. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Look at Gheed in his whimsical trolling. Also people should lay off Peter lol, he just has a diffrent opinion.

4. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Now it's just a matter of finding it in the big box for a decent price. :nerd:

5. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I'm getting the steam version. I know it may sound weird but I love steam.

6. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Here is a good example. Jagged Alliance 2 was a genre-defining title for turn-based strategy.

But look at Silent Storm, a Russian game that borrowed heavily from JA2. They are both turn-based strategy games with a squad of characters and light roleplaying elements.

I still consider JA2 a classic, but Silent Storm improved upon it in essentially every way. Better graphics, added physics and destructible environments, deeper RPG elements, all without any detriment to the base gameplay.

So given the choice today, I would recommend that someone try Silent Storm, and say that JA2 is no longer worth buying. I don't see Deus Ex any differently; it's just outdated now, even if it set precedents that more recent games are built on.

7. Disconnecting

Disconnecting Member

GPU:
    2x 8800ultra (GT300 soon)
    This is sad but true. Some games from the late 80s early 90s are unplayable because they were never ported and require unique hardware to run. There was an amazing dungeon crawl game for the macintosh plus that I haven't seen in awhile...... It almost beats stone soup. =P

Sorry peter, when you behave like a middleschool student from 4chan posting the 'cool story bro' meme images, everyone will think your a troll. Even if what you type is correct.

8. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Peter wasn't the one, the guy who does nothing but troll and has been warned did :/.

9. Disconnecting

Disconnecting Member

GPU:
    2x 8800ultra (GT300 soon)
    Oh, carry on then. I didn't mean to sound like the etough guy.

10. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung

if you like ja2, i definetly recommend trying ja2 with the 1.13 patch. its the base for dozens of mods and it changes the game completly. ive played both silent storm and jagged alliance. the 1.13 patch brings you a freedom that didnt exist before. especialy the AI has been revamped and is now a real challange. no more "1man-genocide" missions possible.

11. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    What does Diablo etc have anything to do with Deus Ex or the other games you mentioned? And of course it's subjective, just like your opinions.
    Funny you should mention those things because with the exception for graphics and physics DE got it all covered. Ok, perhaps you cannot customize the color or pattern on armor or change clothes (but why would it even matter?)... AI hasn't really changed a lot in 10 years (The best combat AI is probably still in the first FEAR game). All have at one level dumb AI behavior. In Bioshock had the AI been smarter it would actually shoot the cameras in the end.

Bioshock does not even have leaning, you cannot even walk, stealth is almost completely out of the question even with the lurker plasmid. There are invisible walls holding the player back and the levels are cramped.
    Physics, apart from throwing stuff on the enemies doesn't really affect the gameplay that much, as it mostly serves as sort of modern eyecandy more than anything. And never has DX helped me with the aiming as Bioshock and ME does. And one button doesn't do multiple stuff, I never risk by running close to an object that the game chooses "for" me to take cover instead of running elsewhere, which I wanted.

It's only in the beginning of Bioshock you could think this is a horror game, when it's well scripted scene makes it seem scary. But once you start playing you are pretty much quickly armed to the teeth unlike SS2 in which you really have to think through things to have a change of survival. Also, what's up with Bioshock's almost complete lack of occlusion? Here the Dark Engine is much better at making it sound as if the sounds weren't all in the same room.

And try to use stealth to take enemies down one by one in Mass Effect and you cannot do that unless the game with scripts allows you to do so. Like press renegade / paragon buttons at the right time, and voila the game does it for you like when you are after recruiting Archangel.

The dialogue system in ME is not that great (same button to press forward and reply?). Either NPCs are completely mute or when they talk they all want to reveal their life story to you. And how on earth does a sceptre really care if some grunts know if there is fish in the citadel or not? And what's with the sex in games? Such a waste of time.

12. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    The stealth in Deus Ex is much better than some games that are released today. I still remember the level where you go through the sewers and then end up in the helicopter hangar. I used to take out all of the guards in that building without being noticed or setting off alarms.

I loved using the mini crossbow or the stealth pistol. You can also mod your weapons too. You can add a laser, a silencer, fast reload, accuracy, and I think one other thing. The game also features an economy in which you get credits for doing stuff and can buy from people on the street or from smuggler.

The graphics weren't state of the art when it was released and that never really bothered me. Same with System Shock 2...Those graphics weren't impressive at all, game was excellent.

13. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    You may have gone off the deep end. FEAR having the best AI ever? All I remember from that game is seeing the elevator doors open then simultaneously kicking 2 guys to death in slow motion.

Knocking ME's dialogue system in favor of Deus Ex is ridiculous. ME has better acting, more dialogue options, better facial animations and gestures, everything about the dialogue in ME/ME2 is better. Just look at any dialogue in Deus Ex, listen to the campy acting and look at JC Denton's ludicrous sunglasses and 2D mouth moving. It's seriously outdated.

14. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Ok, i think i'm starting to get it.

Peter says Deus Ex has been surpassed in every way.

But peter, has it been surpassed in every way, by a single game? If so, name 1 game that surpasses Deus Ex, in every way. And then prepare for the onslaught of mockery.

15. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I said combat AI. They generally know how to move in the surrounding compared to most games. It too is too scripted in general, so it's not my favorite game by any means and it is not scary in the slightest.

Yes, we know DE looks outdated. ME gives the impression that they all need a trip to a psychiatrist to talk out a bit. Often I find myself thinking "BLOW IT OUT YOUR ARSE" get to friggin point. Space soap operas = not interesting. You're free to like of course, but I cannot force myself into it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010

16. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    hm so speech synced lips during a conversation makes the game better?
    The dialogue in dues ex and in me is basicly the same. you have choices that affect the game. i see no difference. wether you have 1s to press the button or actualy have a moment to think about what you are going to do next isnt exactly a major difference. all your points are realy minor.

if you limit your critics to gfx only.... so basicly black and white is kinda unique, but just because the graphics are outdated, is it suddenly a bad game? just because the creatures are dumb as ****, is the entire game bad? lets make the same analogies you make... well maybe lets not.

btw point is. the op asked wether he should buy DX1. most ppl tend to agree, if he doesnt care for eyecandy, he gets a better game then most "modern" eyecandy trashgames like bioshock or mass effect. THAT doesnt make bioshock or mass effect bad. but for some of us, gfx is not the deciding factor when judging a game.

17. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    If you don't like the game, why can't one just say their opinion of why...ONE time without mentioning it constantly? No ones mind is going to change here. Post relevant facts and opinions but no need to constantly bash the points.

Fact 1: no game is loved by all who play.
    Fact 2: DE is available and costs as much as casual games like Bejewled2 with 10x's more depth and can run on Laptops.
    Fact 3: Even old games can be as much fun as new games regardless of graphics or A.i.
    Fact 4: I now need a 4th beer and another pee break.

18. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    I just pulled the trigger on this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...9&Category=182&_trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=1

Sealed big box? yes please! Though I also found it for as little as $4 or $5 shipped without the box if anyone else was thinking about picking it up.

19. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    ^^ Great find ^^

20. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    If the dialogue is too much for you hit spacebar. It skips dialogue if you prefer to just get into the action.

Well yeah, lip synching is relatively minor but it really adds to dialogue when the characters have more realistic faces, expressions, gestures, etc.

Yes DX has dialogue and your choices can affect the game, but ME has taken that to the next level.

Yeah, again I'm not saying DX is a bad game. I don't know how many times in this thread I've restated the fact that DX is a classic.

If OP really enjoys playing old outdated games, then yes I would agree that DX might be a good choice for him.

A typical gamer today will not be blown away by Deus Ex, which is what the hardcore DX fanboys would have OP believe. People are used to the cinematic feel of Mass Effect, slick shooting from MW, physics and destructible environments, atmosphere and freedom from Stalker and Fallout 3, not to mention 10+ years of graphical advancements. Most people would try to play DX and say, "wow this game is really lacking compared to what I've played recently."

Honestly if OP is such a connoisseur of older games, he would have played Deus Ex already. That right there suggests that the game probably isn't right for him today.