NVIDIA and its troubled GeForce 400 series [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 22, 2010.

1. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I hear that it is a new series. Looking at ATi, I'm sure a new series should really help as the Radeon HD 5000 compared to the 4000 series isn't as big a leap as the 4000 series from the 3000 series.

deltatux

2. jamsbong

jamsbong Member

GPU:
    EVGA GF560Ti 1Gb
    Another good example of a NVidia Fanboy. Fanboys like this will buy anything with an Nvidia stamp on it. I bet I can sell my excrement to these ppl as long as I put an nvidia or TWIMTBP logo on it.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    This is directed to most people, not yourself.
    Whether he is honestly so biased he believes that, or is just trolling, by constantly quoting his post, all your doing is giving him more attention.

4. jamsbong

jamsbong Member

GPU:
    EVGA GF560Ti 1Gb
    I honest want to see more innovations from both ATI and NV. If possible from Matrox and Intel. However, as usual, when you do something ambitious, things are gonna go wrong. But this is the right thing to do in the long run.

Both ATI and NVIDIA have their fair share of failures but after they've learnt from it, They will be able to produce outstanding performing cards. The G80 is a good example from NV but unfortunately they've lost their momentum with GT200 and they are not out of problems yet.
    ATI had so much problems with the R600 chip that it was impossible to think that they will ever be on par with NV again. What is even harder to accept at the time was that ATI chose to go unified shader and did it well with the xbox360 when NV couldn't do it with the PS3. However, in the PC world, they lost miserably.
    Finally, with the R700 series, they've gotten the performance that is worthy of a champ. ATI had to thank their lucky stars that NV coincidently screwed up the GT200.

Now, judging from all these delays and secrecy, there is little doubt that fermi chip is a problematic one. Give NV time and 2 generations later, you'll get a beautiful diamond. I always think NV are arrogant when they were leaders and now it is testing times for ATI to see how they lead the way.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    The thing is though, ATI didn't put a lot of hype in the r600, where as Nvidia is putting so much hype in their chip.

I would too actually, but there's no need for Matrox and Intel to try. They have their markets and games. I'd like to REALLY see s3 make a good comeback. :D

6. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    edit: damn, vbetts beat me to it. but yes, dont forget S3 ;p

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  7. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    back in the day i used to own a Matrox Mystique, it was one of the best cards i ever had, Matrox should get back to the real deal and provide some competition to Ati and Nvidia, they got what it takes to win, besides i'm sure not only it would keep prices down, but having a 3rd company would certainly help.

[​IMG]

8. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thats exactly my thoughts too , im pretty sure the new HD600 series will be upon us in no time ,I agree with you on that deltatux :).

9. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I just want prices to drop on both brands.

10. firas

firas Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 SSC Edition
    don’t care about price, temperature, fan noise, voltage, etc. I just want more powaaar :)

11. reno_skychaser

reno_skychaser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 6600 XT
    voltage = power ;p

12. wolfdale

wolfdale Member

GPU:
    XFX GTS 250 1GB Core e.
    will w8 gor dx12..........lol....intel is already working for win8 for some months and it is 80% sure that it will be dx12..........that's 2-3 years later!!!

13. Omagana

Omagana Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    power = current x voltage

:nerd:

P = IV

14. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    ATI 6 series will be out by the end of the year, according to AMD. nVidia GF100 series will be out... when they're out. Right now late March, another month. Whether it'll get delayed is a question.

I don't care about Fermi nor do I care about Cypress. I want to see DX11 games first before I consider buying a DX11 card. I see myself an enthousiast, but I'm not a fool, which means I will buy when there's a need to buy and that's when either my video card breaks or when there're games that actually make use of new technology.

15. EaglePC

EaglePC Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 5700
    I Retired nVidia ,Guys ya should try the ATI 5850 and Dirt 2 from codemaster

and thats no gossip....

16. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Buying cards for the DX version is insane, but I do NEED a new card for better performance. I want that dreaming 60 frame MINIMUM in all my games.

So many good games that will benefit from it too that are only DX9, Rage, Brink, Fallout: New Vegas.

I can't enjoy a game, even if it gets a 60 frame average, if it has dips down to 30 or 40 frames, it's just not smooth enough.

Besides, there will be a lot of people buying the 6000 series and the nvidia refresh cards, and by that time...DX12 will be out and add 1 more useless feature that only 5 games out of every 200 will utilise...and only 2/5 will use it to any noteworthy extent, aka DX11 as it stands, is still a gimmick.

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    do you also want 60fps on crysis dchalf10 ?

18. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Even with many games DX10 is useless... Not to mention the flood of DX9 console port games recently. Problem is, even with DX9 and 10, you can achieve great graphics with some decent planning and work. We haven't even seen DX10 being pushed to its limits, most DX10 games look like 9 with an extra effect here or there thrown in. There may be a few exceptions but generally this is the case.

I find a new Xbox of Playstation much more interesting now, perhaps then we can get some "next generation" games instead of being stuck on games that look similar to ones 2~3 years ago. Otherwise, HD 4XXX and GTX2XXs still run great.

19. firas

firas Member

GPU:
    GTX 285 SSC Edition
  20. tronicson

tronicson Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 HydroCopper
    ..no problem in warhead with the 5970 (oc'ed) with enthusiast settings and 1920x1080 :)