AVP 2010(AVP3) One of the finest games in years(based on demo impressions)

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Mkilbride, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I've only seen one comparison shot of an Alien character with/without tessellation... and honestly it was very hard to tell the difference between the two.

2. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I like how I wasn't scared out of my mind to while being marine like I was in AvP2.I agree with you also on the fps statement.I play on 1330*768 Texture Quality at normal and shadow complexity at normal and ao off and the game still looks awesome as you can see in my screen shots and not a lot of game look like that when they are on medium. which has me very impressed with the coding they did.every now and then my fps drops to 27 at worst but generally it stays at 40-140 fps

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Understandable. It's because if you see an alien that close up you're dead within a few seconds.

The truth is that you can only really see tessellation at work in static screenshots when you compare them with a similar screenshot without this feature. There's no doubt that tessellation is a nice feature to have but so far DX11 games are making limited use of it so the differences between DX9 and DX11 games such as DiRT 2 and AvP appear very subtle, likely because they're still DX9 games at heart with DX11 features tacked on to the engine.

4. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Hi i played as the predator half way and it hung. Did anyone experience this?

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    The game works fine with me in XP but very problematic in Vista. Missing sounds (effects, tapes dialogue, etc) and occasional crash to desktop. Will just wait for a damn patch before I go back to it again.

6. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I play the game in dx9 and I tried dx11 and I didn't see that big of a change if any with ao off.

7. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    AvP3 is sheer awesomeness packed in 3 different styles. If anything it makes waiting for BC2 far less annoying, thank god for that.
    Followed by RedDeadRedemption(360) and LibertyCity stories on PC. Yay!

8. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    +1 :)

9. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Btw i asked earlier in this thread i don't have motion blur in my options settings why is this so?

10. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    have you tried to verify game cache ?

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Vista 64 Ultimate here no problems. Funny thing is i get same fps with GTX275 and GTS250 (around 50-90)

12. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Death, it's already been confirmed to be a pirate issue / anyone who uses a cracked .exe. to play without Steam.

The game itself comes with a self-modifying code that counters programs that insert code.

For example, people trying to use a trainer get a "White screen of death" in which yer comp locks up and you have to CTRL + ALT + DEL to get out of it.

Throw in VAC on top of that and we'll, nothing is hack proof, but it's a decent start.

Listen, I know alot are saying they bought it and still have the issue, but I'm just going based off what I've seen on the torrent sites I visit and my friends who bought it.(All have the options, and my friend who pirated it, does not.)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  13. lambchop

lambchop Member Guru

GPU:
    None
    Complete marine and predator. Good game, i have never liked playing the alien for some reason, even in the original games. The marine campaign is the best imo. I was just kicking arse with predator but i got killed a few times as the marine and the atmosphere is better.

14. Mkilbride

Mkilbride Banned

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470 1.2GB
    Marine SP is also scary as **** lol. I broke into cold sweats man...

15. Copey

Copey Guest

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Ive finished the marine compaign, the game is ok but nothing special, they did capture the feeling of aliens well tho which you gotta give them credit for, thing is the actually shooting mechanics and that are abit plain.

Started the predator one now as i hear its the best, seems ok so far but it odesnt seem asif there's many weapons to play with, unless you get more later on.

16. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    Here's some more DX11 vs DX 9 screen shots.

17. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Cool, but do you have everything maxed out?

18. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I don't see any difference between them. None. And, since DX11 only really effects the character models... makes sense. :)

19. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    Ya completely

20. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    Look at the grass blades again DX 9 edges not smooth but jagged and alot more mist in the DX 11