NVIDIA and its troubled GeForce 400 series [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    It's a cycle.
    ATI Rage was the thing back in the day.
    But they had to fight 3DFX.
    Nvidia came along and ate 3DFX.
    Nvidia then struck gold with the TI4000 series, leaving ATI in the dust.
    ATI fought back with the XT series.
    Nvidia had a flub with the 5000 series. A HUGE flub.
    Nvidia regained themselves with the 7000 series.
    ATI fumbled with the HD series in the beginning, especially the awful HD2XXX series.
    Nvidia then beat ATI to the DX10 game with the 8XXX series, but horrifically unoptimized games made it not really a solid investment in the beginning.
    ATI finally caught up with the HD3XXX series.
    Nvidia fought back with the 9XXX series. Nvidia also ate PhysX and enabled Physx on all of it's cards, frustrating ATI users.
    ATI brought it with the HD4XXX series.
    Nvidia countered with the GTX2XX series. And my was the 285 a beast in it's day.
    ATI finally broke ground and took the lead with the HD5XXX series, touting DX11 as their selling point.
    Nvidia...went silent. I expect Nvidia to either drop ATI to it's knees with Fermi, or be second place until the next generation, as it's a constant cycle between Nvidia and ATI for dominance. ANd I like it that way...cheaper cards by competition.

And I accurate or am I off?

2. Razorrig

Razorrig Banned

GPU:
    HD 5870 Xfire 1025mhz
    Im not sure what fermi is gonna be like but I dont regret the deal that I got at all. Newegg open box deals ftw! 2 Asus HD 5870's for $600.00. :)

3. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I just dont understand, this is a thread about GF100, and whats going on, why dont we keep it that way.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Nice article HH, glad to see the inbreds have calmed down in this now.

Hopefully we find out some info in the next 10-15minutes.

5. Understandable

Understandable Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 570 SC 900/1800/2200
  6. Razorrig

Razorrig Banned

GPU:
    HD 5870 Xfire 1025mhz
    My fault bro, I didnt mean to side track the thread. Im just excited about my purchase, lol.

I do hope fermi turns out to be awesome because I loved my GTX 275, was an awesome card and an incredible overclocker.

7. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    indeed ATi took the lead now, Nvidia is very very late .... all that is keeping Nvidia on its knees is the fact that DX11 cards are useless at the moment, no DX11 games are yet available.
    So for me investing in a DX11 card with no price competition right now is useless. On top any ATI Nvidia last Generation Card (GTX200 and HD 3XXX) can still play any game on very high settings (Expect Crysis). So anyways, we will wait for the GF100 benchmarks and see how it will be pri$$$ed

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  8. Razorrig

Razorrig Banned

GPU:
    HD 5870 Xfire 1025mhz
    I would not call the HD 5000 series useless just because the lack of DX11 Titles.

I can think of a few games besides crysis which has benefited greatly from my crossfire setup.

9. pinkpotato1

pinkpotato1 Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS 6870 xfire :D
    ?:puke2:

10. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    ^ nVidia twitter announcement maybe

11. Era

Era Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX680OC
    " The wait is almost over! The world's fastest PC graphics gaming technology will be unveiled at PAX 2010. Visit: www.nvidia.com/paxeast "

So, 1 more month.

Sigh.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    People have been saying it was going to be the end of March, early April for the last month or so, people didn't honestly expect them to launch today.

It was always going to be an anti-climax, at least this is something official.
    The ChrisRay thing is very nice of them though, how out of character, wouldn't mind winning that as well.

13. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Guest

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    Well, when I first started assembling my rig a year ago, almost to the month..I discovered that Nvidia had RENAMED all their products...at that point, I wondered, 'what kinda organization is this??' ..and Im sure i wasnt the only one...so...looking over to the competition, I discovered everything in a nice neat orderly fashion, no games, no numbers changing, all just straight forward. *I decided to stay with a 4350 at the time passive cooling*. Skip to almost a year later, Im now in the market for a 'high end' card, Nvidia, still has their mess of numbers and relabeled crap going on, ATI, still straight forward and not putting out cards with wood screws in them, this customer was sold. Seriously, when Im going to be spending almost $400 on ANYTHING, the company that has its act together the most is going to get FIRST consideration, the 2nd point is who has the higher performance for dollar value? and 3rd *gulp* reliability. Well I had just been using a 4xxx series card for the last year with VERY FEW problems whatsoever, and all these 'games' that Nvidia appears to be playing, well, as a consumer, I dont have time or the energy to figure out whats been relabeled and whats old and whats new, nope. So Im sure Im not the ONLY one thats thought like that..but all their games and crap that they seem to be doing...well..its cost them this customer, and other than PhysX, I dont even see what im missing...now I have Stream...Overdrive....Fusion...and the 10.3's *beta of course*, with no problems whatsoever with my Sapphire 5850 to date, other than it spins up to 100% periodically after a full shutdown *the gf asks, 'Holy! is your computer ready to take off now?*yes its VERY LOUD at 100%*', but then settles down, I have really, not one complaint. Sure there were a few things wrong, but those were MY fault, so I definately cant fault ATI for that at all. So here sits one quite happy ATI user :)

14. tonyrunks

tonyrunks Guest

GPU:
    Xfx rx 6650 xt
    To me personally i think fermi is going to perform just the way nvidia said it will , i rather them carefully work the issue's out of there new gpu and make sure it come's delivering grand spanking performance rather than them rushing a gpu out with alot of problems.

Am not going to buy into a bunch a dumb rumors where people are saying a card what doesnt even have a official launch date from nvidia as of yet is being delayed, that makes absolutly no sense what so ever so people be patient nvidia has never fail us yet. Am sure we can exspect a surperb card in the near future from nvidia.

15. Razorrig

Razorrig Banned

GPU:
    HD 5870 Xfire 1025mhz
    rotf! statement of the year!

16. rash1205

rash1205 Guest

Guyz without physx are bit pathetic !!!!! lol

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Huh!!

18. Razorrig

Razorrig Banned

GPU:
    HD 5870 Xfire 1025mhz
    And we have a runner up for most halarious statement of the year! LOLERZ!!!

19. Enizax

Enizax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 TUF OC
    I said it once, and i'll say it again ; nVidia shot itself in the foot :p

20. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Dumbest post of 2010.
    PhysX is a gimmick that hasn't been widely adpated by anyone for the mainstream.
    Secondly, don't be an idiot fanboy. Contribute to the thread something worthwhile or don't post.