NVIDIA and its troubled GeForce 400 series [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    That's one of the "problems" too. Your 250 will handle most of the games at medium resolutions and high details, even quite a few recent games at max res and 1920x1200. With all these quick console ports, there's not much need for super-high-end cards.

ATI's approach with 58xx was pretty good - what can we offer for specified amount of $$$. NV will have hard time now. I'd like to see Fermi noticeably better than 5800 series (price war and 5890), but I just can't see it happen.

2. USFORCES

USFORCES Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 780 SLI @ 2560x1600
    Well hopefully things will be back to normal later on this year about the time I'm ready to upgrade and I'm not going to upgrade unless I can see I got my monies worth.

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Respect :) , great article Hilbert. Boss no one have received a board yet ( at least the people in the industry that i know) , im affraid something its awfully wrong with the card or drivers and they are trying to fix it last minute before the paper launch. No doubt it will be a good card , but theres a catch on this , we will find out when the fully fleshed card are available to everyone. Lets keep waiting and pray that the prices will be fair in order to stabilize and drop the prizes of the gpus that are already out. Peace , thats my opinion :).

Regards: Chispy.

4. Mchart

Mchart Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470
    Everyone here isn't remembering the fact that while Fermi may perform similar/slightly better then the similar ATI part in current games - Thats not what Fermi was designed for. Fermi was designed to be a CUDA monster; Which, it should do well.

5. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    And be profitable at. $2.5k to $19k for Tesla solutions. If Fermi really gets picked up for GPGPU, who cares about Geforce?

6. gor1l1a

gor1l1a Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked
    Great article. I have not read all of Mr. C's comments but have visited and read a few paragraphs. If nothing else I've learned a little about how a GPU is made, which has been interesting. Personally I'm happy with the 5870 right now but if the Fermi is much better and not grossly overpriced I'll gladly sell the 5870 and go back with Nvidia. Sure it's frustrating to have to wait, but if the end product is as good as Nvidia claims it to be then maybe it's worth it.

I think Nvidia and Tiger Woods have the same PR company managing them. I don't like the secrecy from Nvidia and they have caused wild speculation by not being upfront with their end users and shareholders. Bad PR is to blame I think at this point, but if the card is a knockout then we'll all be singing the praises of Nvidia again. If however the card is a flop Nvidia will lose a lot of credibility and a lot of people will jump ship. A flop from Nvidia opens the door for another player in the market. Intel? If they could get their act together it would be a perfect opportunity for them to capture some of Nvidia's market share from the people who refuse to use ATI/AMD.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  7. Mchart

Mchart Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470
    Yep. I see people bashing this thing left and right, or saying Nvidia is make the wrong choices;

The bottom line is that this technology was designed from the ground up as a solution for the professional market and use with CUDA. The fact that this thing can be sold and used as a 'normal' gaming GPU is just an added bonus. So while the non-profitable high-end gaming 3d market continues to bash Nvidia - Frankly, I don't think they care when they've made it public knowledge that they are trying to essentially get out of said market and make .. something like Fermi. A CUDA monster.

8. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Does that mean that a HD 5870 black edition from XFX which is 10% OCed will be like a GTX 480 at stock?

Also the HD 5800 series are monster overclockers, so will they beat the GTX at overcloking because those will run to hot?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  9. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    wow i bet my hamster has more intelligence than you

OpenGL works fine on radeon cards and so do all games like dirt2, bioshock 2, stalker COP, etc etc

maybe you should go purchase a nvidia dx11 card haha o wait :puke2:

10. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    hahahahahahah tooooo funny I can't stop laughing :D

11. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    And for the ...what, is this the third/fourth time already..?

no trolling/fanboyism

12. Mchart

Mchart Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470
    While I don't agree with that users post, we still need to be realistic here.

The fact of the matter is that many older OpenGL titles have a number of issues running on the current ATI cards (It's more of a driver issue).

Not really important to most people - But the issue does exsist. Just like ATI's continued horrid Linux driver support. This one I don't think anyone can refute. If you've used an ATI card w/ Linux.. I think everyone is in agreeance here.

Not that any of that is relevant to most users, as most users just want something that can play current games in a windows enviroment.

And please don't feed the trolls with more flames.

13. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    You are right, but i will just say this once and never talk about this subject.
    It is the time of year again, like with the GeForce FX line and the 9800 Radeons where "envidia" fanboysm was off the chart, and this time the save fever is coming, i am sure about it, it already started in the forums, and yeah it will go on for a few months.

14. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I haven't read all the posts just yet, but I wanted to say I thought this was a good neutral opinion piece Hilbert, I know how you feel about the sensationalist news reporting others sites do for web traffic and I want to give you respect for having the journalistic integrity not go follow down that path. I thought it was a well written and informative article talking about what we do know, and not speculating to much.

Personally I expect Fermi to be around -10% to +30% faster than ATI's offering, -10% in some ATI dominated benchmarks and +30% in Nvidia dominated benchmarks. Probably settling around 20% in most average benchmarks.

I do feel that Nvidia will be very aggressive on launch day for pricing and will force etailers to not price gouge for the first few weeks the reviews are in order. Then after that the prices will inflate as supply will be gone. ATI will counter with lower prices (now that there is competition finally).

In the reviews Nvidia will focus on PhysX, GPGPU Compute/CUDA, and probably tesselation comparisons in order to make it look better for the $$. I would also expect them to try to equal out the Eyeinfinity advantage ATI has...but most reviewers will find that 6 months after Eyeinfinity has released the drivers have really come around for it.

In the end when the dust settles Nvidia will still sell quite a few chips based on brand name and marketing...but will be forced to sell chips at very low margin compared to AMD's offerings. ATI will have respin late spring/early summer, or a whole new line in Sept/Oct.

15. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    which games? ive not really had any problems apart from duke nukem 3d the remake thingy but even then if you switch the opengl from 32bit to 16bit it stops the flickering not to mention i cant tell the difference between the two

16. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT

And don't feed completely off topic posts.

17. Jae-So

Jae-So Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    I like ur predictions Stukov, I remember reading the article about how ATI reduced the GPUs die in order to reduce manufacturing costs and stick to the 4800 business model etc while nVidia chose to delay and go with an even bigger die, so yeah I think their margins will be lower, but just like the GTX280/285 sold even at such a high price, I think these will too

18. Mchart

Mchart Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX470
    I'm being realistic. Just like any number of Nvidia cards which i've owned have had numerous issues at times.

Looking at the big picture and being realistic is curiously missing in many posts.

19. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)

The only thing I should add is that they will probably gain market share in the GPGPU market, with increased performance with Tesla type systems.

20. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Please stop calling him ''Mr C'' I keep thinking you guys are calling him the C word XD

In either cases this rumor mill is definitely not helping me in my decision making. I will be buying a next generation card. And all you guys do is talk and talk and talk but no reviews, just saying.

At this point with chipsy saying next NV wont be worth it and now HH saying the 6 month delay is a deal breaker well I don't see how I could justify to my brain buying an NVIDIA card.

Now with that said, I really like nvidia drivers a lot more then ATI's. I know theres a lot of misconception about them, but it seems that I have more ease with the NVIDIA drivers, also that they have PhysX which I hope will have some impact on game I play someday. ( I bought AVP this weekend, just to find that ''I didnt have DX11 hardware and thus that I had to play DX9'')

Once again, I'm glad this comes from the half-truth guy, because I really want both parties to do good, so I can buy a much better graphic card at a much better price!