Is Deus Ex worth buying?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by crushilista, Feb 18, 2010.

1. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    [​IMG][

2. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    You can play whatever you want; I'm not bashing old games. But don't act like your old classics are still cutting edge or that you're not in a very small minority who still uses a 30-year-old console.

I've already stated that I enjoyed Deus Ex back in the day, but unlike some people in this thread I'm not harboring any illusions about how well it holds up today.

From what I recall Deus Ex was long enough, but I have my doubts about this mod. 200 unique characters could mean a lot of things. They could call any generic enemy with a different name above his head a "unique character."

Any original voice acting and music they have is almost assuredly terrible. I doubt a mod team has the money to pay professional voice actors or a real composer or orchestra.

Typically mods are best when limited to things like textures, sounds, tweaks, things of that nature. Once it goes beyond that you really start to see the limitations of modders.

I agree completely. You might want to tell that to Kaleid, Zapmaster, and PHJF though, since they seem to maintain that Deus Ex is a masterpiece rivaling the Mona Lisa.

3. BigBlockTowncar

BigBlockTowncar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX970 SC
    Not sure why they spent the time on that old engine...won't get the respect it probably deserves.

I might have to check it out...I remember buying Deus Ex at Northgate mall in north Seattle...I just picked it out because the box looked cool. Metallic blue with some guy staring up at a helicopter or whatever that light was.

and btw, one of my favorite games ever.

4. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    It's how almost all ambitious mods end up, as they spend so much time in production without being able to modify core engine elements that they are quite outdated graphically by the time they are released.

:Edit: Buying the DVD and case for $6 shipped is actually kind of tempting...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010

5. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    I have never claimed that Deus Ex does everything very well, without error, but when it comes to some of these new games that some here praise they do not even try to best old games instead they choose to compete in the friggin special Olympics. :cussing:

Edit: I'm talking about the new games, not the people making the claims. To be perfectly clear:
    Olympics: System Shock 2, Deus Ex
    Special Olympics: Bioshock, Invisible War

6. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i LOL'ed the way this topic headed..nicely done :S

7. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    Who exactly said classics are still cutting edge? one person?, many....show me, where are these people here that think classic games are cutting edge technology? Are you sure your not confusing those who talk about how its original graphics has been enhanced by mods and that some games look good for their age? Who here compared this game to Crysis? Cut n paste if you need to :)
    don't misinterpret, just paste the facts.

Actually i'm not a small minotority who uses a 30 year old console, To be more exact, the nostalgic gaming community is by itself a multi million a year industry, why do you think you keep seeing so many plug n play games, Atari meuseum console packs, Even the Wii, PS3,Xbox360 all have retro games selling...and people play them:3eyes: My 18 yr old stepson play them sometimes too, so its appeal is not limited.
    Look up facts first...Atari Flashback alone sold half a million. So right there is a redesigned 30 yr old platform all by itself has 500,000 people who bought it. Plus there is the Flashabck 2 and now the Flashback 2+<....think they would keep pumping em out if it was small minority? Consider the classic retros that got re-realeased on various platforms but the point is there is no small market in classic gaming.
    As far as DE, like Starcraft 2, Diablo 2..etc, they are still for sale, i still sometimes see Starcraft 2 at wallmart and i think its still like $30. So obviously many of these older games must still sell pretty well for them to keep selling them or making boxed copies.
    Its all over the net..look. "Retro gaming boom"
    http://blog.360i.com/gaming-insider/retro-game-market-booms

I think your just talking out of your rear from nothing more than your limited perception of how you see it.

8. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Hold it...Starcraft II isn't even out yet. Warcraft 3?

9. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    I'm the one talking out of my rear, yet you claim to have seen Starcraft 2 for sale at Wal-Mart?

I'll assume for a moment you mean Starcraft. This game is still played competitively (practically the national sport in Korea) and is popular online. Diablo 2 is also still supported by Blizzard and played online. Both of these games have unheard of longevity.

Deus Ex is not even in the same league as these titles.

10. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    "Deus Ex is not even in the same league as these titles. "

Opinion. I would quit gaming if I had to play games such as Starcraft and Diablo 2.

11. Gheed

Gheed Banned

GPU:
    Asus HD5850
    Diablo 2 is widely recognized as the one of the greatest games ever created. The reason for its longevity is the new items, rune words, bosses, etc..

You are defending Deus Ex with your life, but bashing on Diablo 2? Clearly this thread has become irrelevant and it's time I left it.

12. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Already back then...

13. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Yeah, we get that you think Deus Ex is the greatest game of all time, unsurpassed in every way, etc.

My post was in response to F1refly, who used Starcraft and Diablo II as examples of retro gaming's popularity. I was pointing out that SC and D2 are the exceptions, not the rule.

It's a fact that Deus Ex is not in Starcraft's league as far as longevity and sustained popularity go. Undeniable.

14. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Haven't claimed that. For me the record in longevity is the Thief games for which there are tons of fan made missions of quality which often is higher than the original missions in the games themselves.

Multiplayer games in my view quickly become repetitive. And many of them demands tons of time simply collecting more experience points. I already did that with Secret of Mana on the SNES and had enough of it.

So, it's popular so it must be good for everyone? I must start purchasing those Sim games right away then :D Stop being so overly sensitive, I'm not going to talk about Diablo 2... not worth my time.

15. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    [​IMG]

What does that have to do with Deus Ex?

16. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    deus ex is not even online like sc and d2. hell i think fps muliplayer peaked w quake 2 personally and everything else has been garbage since with the possible exception of cpma quake 3.

but gods will you two old women quit bickering. one of you loves the game the other thinks it sucks or rather does not hold up well at all. i think deus ex, fallout 1 and 2, dungeon keeper, sim hospital, sim city 4 and expansions are all classics that hold up and in many ways surpass what has come after. i have np playing them period and do replay all or most of those games every so often.

cant say many modern titles drag me back as many times as the old fallouts have and deus ex.

17. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    You selectively left out the next part.
    "What it DOES have, is a great balance of gameplay, tactics, and storyline."

Heres the thing, Some people seem to be indicating that the game is the best ever made. But you are countering it by making it seem like it was the worse ever made.

Peter, you worked up such a fuss over the graphics.. Well.. what are your opinions on the game play, or the store line?
    Is it really as bad as you make it out to be?
    Is it really unplayable? I'm able to play it just fine. Big difference between unplayable and simply out dated.

18. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung

wtf are you talking about? nobody said deus ex is "the" greatest game of all times. please get your crap together. and sc:bw / diablo2 / deus ex are games that were release in the same timeperiod pretty much. its totaly different genres of course. and i have played all 3. sc:bw for 5years in the bwcl-1a league in germany even.

but you know. if you give me deus ex and fable. id pick dx any day.

19. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    here are a couple retro games that still set the standard for me

turnbased rts:
    -jagged alliance 2 (patched to 1.13)
    -fallout 1/2

action rpg:
    -diablo 2

fps:
    -quake series
    -cs

deus ex is a very special game. it combined several aspects of rpg's with fps. paired with incredible an incredible story arc, deep characters and replayability, that is unmatched for a "shooter".

same as blade runner is still in a league of its own, deus ex is aswell. and no i dont say it hasnt been surpassed in certain aspects. but the deus ex is one of the rare games, that stand out. no single first person shooter ever touched its depth. that doesnt mean that other shooters arent enjoyable. i had hours of fun with games like killing floor or left4dead. cs/css aswell, and there are alot of other games that are played by thousands.

back in the days, a friend and me were playing games together at his or my place in the weekends and we used to bring games to each others house. he was so unlucky to buy black and white based on the totaly overhyped reviews while i brought games like deus ex or starlancer. guess what, deus ex got us totaly hooked, the entire setting of the game is simply epic. now if you dont like it, just leave it at that. dont start bashing other people here over your personal preference.

20. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    i realy think he has never played trough the game. i havent seen many ppl that played trough deus ex and bashed it afterwards. its easier to just copy paste half of other poster's sentences and defend an opinion by bashing the rest that isnt agreeing :)