The hits just keep on coming. Ubisoft releases a FAQ about DRM..takes a shot at valve

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by hlhbk, Feb 21, 2010.

1. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    True lol, i'll erase that last part and replace it with what I basically meant.

2. Disconnecting

Disconnecting Member

GPU:
    2x 8800ultra (GT300 soon)
    This is almost 100% true. Ever since Spore, EA has been trying to think of a good DRM system that doesn't anger as many people. The DRM in RA3 is fine. No one really has an issue with it. Up until now EA, hasn't really done anything bad in that regard. Tiberian Twilight hasn't even been released yet. But it has been officially announced to require a constant online connection to run.

I wonder why people are freaking out only over Ubisoft though. EA has been following the same exact trend. They have a say in more titles. Following a policy that is very similar to the two very popular clients of Steam & GFWL seems like a good idea to EA.

Or maybe they'll drop the whole idea for future games. Somehow I doubt that.

3. Dmented

Dmented Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1080 ROG Strix
    Doesn't it cost more money to keep them servers up than the amount of people who will buy the games they put out? I mean, that's a pretty big decrease in profit so... ?

I smell monthly service fee.

4. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Definitely won't be buying Ubisoft again now.

While it's nice to have things saved online and things, who really cares.

1.) No playing the game if you have problems with your Internet.
    2.) How long is it going to be before the servers start having load issues, and we can't even load our game to play.
    3.) Who cares if things are saved online. Most people only play games on the 1 computer, we don't need multiple locations.

4.) And most importantly. NO ONE GIVES A **** ABOUT PIRACY IF THEY CAN'T PLAY THE GAME THEY BOUGHT WHEN THEY WANT.

The ONLY people these things ever cause problems for, are the people who buy the game. Every 11 year old knows how to copy a game for a friend, head over to a place to find a crack and play with no CD/DVD.
    Even the normal every day stupid person can figure this out now.

Ubisoft, be nice if you were reading this. Or any other company out there.
    It's very very very VERY SIMPLE.

REDUCE THE PRICES OF YOUR GAMES.

BAM! That's it right there. I would easily buy a game for $50, instead of pirating it because it's $100. Sure, you won't have your INSANE profits for the game, but why the hell should you if it's at the price of your customers.
    Cheaper price = More games sold = Same level of profit and sometimes more.

5. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    exactly. i was active duty army and i remember when my wife bought me bioshock and it told me to hook up to the internet to activate, i was completely ***ked and the game just sat there collecting dust, by the time i was finally able to activate the game it was a year old and i played it for 10mins. so just like you said, they basically told everyone in the military to **ck off. so from me to you ubisoft **CK YOU

6. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Ubi didn't take a shot at Valve by saying their copy protection is less strict. They simply stated that Valve offers an offline mode in lieu of the fact that it likely contributes to some casual piracy. So regardless of weather or not you agree with Ubi's new DRM, it's not a shot at Valve, as it shows Valve as using the more customer friendly DRM; somewhat the opposite of taking a shot.

7. ElDiablo2K3

ElDiablo2K3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG Geforce GTX 295
    I don't recall seeing that in the Ubisoft statement... if you are referring to the permanent interent connection that is required than I'm pretty sure you'll find most people have that these days.

I'm sure you've heard of OnLive - http://www.onlive.com , the Future of Video Games (their words not mine). Games streamed off the net. Will people moan about that too?

Steam - Online Digital Distribution or DRM. Look at how that's taken off!

Everything is powered by the internet, including DRM.

It's not such a bad thing IMO and it's certainly the future...

8. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    The issue is people dont want to be forced to be connected 24/7 to please ubisoft, steam requires an internet connection to decrypt/update files but has a working offline mode

ubisoft clearly ignored the word offline because they are full of ****

9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Why can´t i play the video games that i bought with my precious money without having to connect to Steam, GFW or something like that??? I just want to play games without being treated like a criminal or having to use stupid systems!!! What Ubisoft proposes is stupid because there are time were we can´t connect to the internet but they should have the right to play the game anyway, after all they paid for it!!! And even better, what happens when they decide to shut down the servers? They simply erase the save games? People loose the ability to play their games online and even offline??? Or will they ask for a monthly fee to keep their ****ty service working???

If this trend continues, one day i will just stop buying new games and stick to older ones.

10. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    Ok get real! Unless there is a bloody earthquake you will never lose your internet for weeks at a time geez...Tops a day or two....

What happened if the sun blows up and you lose your internet connection for year? LOL

11. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    To everyone complaining about no internet: Guys, anyone with no internet in 2010 is about as rare as a 25 caret diamond. Internet is more popular then cable TV for crying out loud. Heck even my 82 year old grandmother has the internet! Now if you can't afford the internet then chances are you can't afford this video game either or a PC that can run it. So, why the crying over something that is stupid?

12. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Not every gamer live in developed country like America or having good internet infrastructure like America. ****ing ignorant.

13. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    How many people in 3rd world countrys even have a PC let alone one that can play current video games?

LOL

And you, you're in Hong Kong which more developed when it comes to electronics then us, so why are you even posting ? heh...

14. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Because I'm not like you who only care for himself! Even developed country get disconnected once in a while especially for people who live in earthquake zone, like Taiwan. And I still remember that I can't connect to Us sites because some minor earthquake cut off the underwater cables. This mean we can;t connect to the server and we can;t even play the game.

15. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    People are making alot out of this. Like the internet isnt such a big thing these days. Pretty much everything requires a internet connection these days. This forum requires internet use to be able to post!

16. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    When I was living in an apartment with my ex-roommate who couldn't keep a job because he was a grade A ****up, I could not afford internet, as I had to keep us from being evicted.

So seriously, get a clue.

Some people can't afford the ongoing contract fee and dial up won't suffice for Ubisoft. Also, Bright House is the best high speed internet provider, but if you live in a rural area, like Sumter County, FL, then you are **** out of luck.

I can access the forum from work or the library. Doesn't mean I can play games at work or at the library.

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050

You could if you had access to do so. :)

18. Devolution

Devolution Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5850 Radeon HIS 1024MB
    Yeah, unfortunately, government jobs prefer you to do your job than play pc games online.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The thing is, i frequently take breaks from the internet, i also sometimes decide to not pay my whole cable bill so i can buy something big that month.

So it makes what was once a definite buy, a doubtful buy, depending on if it is cracked or not.
    Kinda ironic that their idea of stopping piracy is actually shoving people who wouldn't normally in that direction.

The weird thing is, if the wanted it to be alot harder to crack, they would of made it so that there were no local save games.

20. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050

If you have limited connection, or not able to use the internet for a month or so. Pretty simple, don't buy anything from Ubisoft. ;) Or do what most other people intend to do now, and that is to download and play, Thanks again to Ubisoft.