Is Deus Ex worth buying?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by crushilista, Feb 18, 2010.

1. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I just looked at some screenshots, and I like the graphics for it. It reminds me of Half Life. I might get a high res pack but that's only because it would look very blurred higher up.

2. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    original DX is ALOT more hours of gameplay if you approach the game from several perspectives. the amount of stuff you encounter is new every time you play. there are so many litle details that you missed the first time. usualy people tend to play it as any other shooter. if you play it as an adventure and realy try to solve the side quests, thats were DX shines.

btw to some of you clueless people that try to convince everybody else that old games are badbecause they are old. i have a laptop with a i7 and a 280m gtx and i played commander keen 4 on it yesterday. maybe if you are 16 and you never saw any of the old games we are talking about, they might not interest you. but for alot of people nostalgia is a big thing. and thats exactly the reason why there are so many emulators for old games. people want to go back and beat that one game they never could beat as a kid, or they want to replay the games that brought them so much fun in the past.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  3. sublime20

sublime20 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti

Sooooo true..... Sooo true...... nuttin betta den a good retro game to pass up time!! Nostalgia is best!!! :p :p :)

4. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    It's true. 17 year olds and under just don't like older games... God I hate that lol. :rolleyes:

5. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    i dont want to blame them :) if the first quake you played was the third or the first doom you played was the third.. why would u play doom1? if the first rts you played was command and conquer 3, why would u play the first two? you would probably end up not even be able to launch them because of dos etc.

6. sublime20

sublime20 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti
    hahah Im an Old schooler and Proud of it...... this topic just made me want to play duke nukem or CNC RA95! :p:p

7. Laykun

Laykun Guest

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    I've never played the first Star Craft, but today and yesterday I've managed to get very into the single player campaign. You really need to get past the old graphics which is easy.

Simple answer, yes , deus ex is worth buying.

8. sublime20

sublime20 Banned

GPU:
    GTX 560 Ti

said it well my friend "nods with approval"

-----Starcraft got a little easy to me..... but very enjoyable i remember when it first came out, me and my friends were either playing Magic the gathering or lan partying starcraft on a network!

ahh the good old days!!!

I actually Liked Warcraft 2 Tides of Darkness alot better lol

just get the DX title... you wont be wasting money.....graphics are just icing on a cake.....

9. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I agree Chock.....Deus Ex is not a game that you will play for 8 hours and be done......there is some hours to be logged in this classic, which is one of the reasons I liked it so well.

My son is 19.....he is just now getting into the original Starcraft and he is completely hooked....I have 2 huge tubs of all of my old pc games....he is constantly rooting around in them and pulling out old stuff to try.

Some of it he likes and some he does not like......I would say that 75% of the time, he likes what us old timers would call the classics.

I commend him for it, that he is not just a graphics whore.....for the most part the rig that we built for him is overkill as he usually is just playing source games with his buddies....he loves all the Blizzard games because they are fun....not for what they look like.

10. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    A funny fact about Deus Ex and IW is that IW actually sold 20% more copies (due to the Xbox release) yet it's still considered a flop because of the hype and disappointment among DE players.

As for old games and graphics. I disliked Fable: TLC at release because I already thought it looked like ass BACK THEN when compared to Oblivion, but this week I had a great time playing it and I actually like the silly design, even though the game has a certain retardation level that just makes it too easy and shallow (makes it playable for a 11 year old lol).

I still play old games. I also really enjoy the classic releases on Steam.

11. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    "It has been surpassed in essentially every way in the years since it came out."
    No it hasn't. Graphically it cannot hold a candle but that's about it.

"I don't even like Bioshock, but it's clearly superior to the original Deus Ex... I mean come on."
    Bioshock is an empty shell of a game compared to Deus Ex which is more like System Shock 2, also a much better game than Bioshock, which is pretty much an above average shooter with a decent story, unique environment and some new type of offensive weapons. Bioshock lacks the...sophistication of DX1 and SS2.

" It looks like total ****. "
    Yes, it has aged, but the gameplay is still miles better than most games, even Mass Effect 2

re: star wars movies
    " I could see watching them if you're into vintage sci fi. But the new movies are just atrocious."
    This is what is happening with modern games. See the epic Phantom Menace review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI

"If you replayed Deus Ex you would see that it is more linear and not nearly as open as you imagine it. To compare it's openness to Fallout 3 is pretty ludicrous."
    I actually think there are far more ways in Deux Ex to deal with enemies than F3..you can get a lot more creative in your gameplay. F3 comes as being made more simplistic than it should be because it is also made for consoles, just like Deus Ex 2.

re: Crysis
    It some sort of technological masterpiece, but not gameplay wise. Koreans barely cannot swim, shots have nearly no effectiviness when using silenced weapons, health and armor regenerate, wth. The thin Hollywood style story? The OTT boss fights? The general lack of depth in general is one of Crysis main problems. It comes of too arcadish.

"My cellphone has more advanced looking games than Deus Ex."
    Look aren't everything right? I bet they are more simplistic when it comes to the gameplay

12. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    I absolutely love Deus Ex. A true classic in so many ways, while I prefer System Shock 2 much more... DX still stands as a hell of an experience and I feel any PC gamer should play it at least once.

Man, now I want to play it...

[​IMG]

13. peter_molyneux

peter_molyneux Guest

GPU:
    Riva TNT2 16MB
    Name one aspect of Deus Ex that hasn't been surpassed by modern games.

Sophistication? That doesn't actually mean anything. You just used that term because Bioshock doesn't actually lack anything when compared to ancient games like Deus Ex.

ME2 has issues but it's light years beyond Deus Ex. Offer anyone a copy of ME2 or Deus Ex and they will choose ME2. Why? Because ME2 is a solid entry in an excellent modern series and Deus Ex is a decade-old game that nobody wants to play anymore.

That review is terrible, it's like an hour long and the guy sounds like an imbecile. I have no clue what it could have to do with modern games.

Deus Ex is a linear level-based game. In this way it is far less open-ended than Fallout 3.

As far as Deus Ex "getting more creative in your gameplay," I don't know what that means. I don't see any facts in this argument, just vague musings about how great you perceive Deus Ex to be.

14. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Doom 2 imo is much more better than Doom 3 :) And basically to Peter... your never going to agree with the majority here, so it's best for ALL of us to just agree to disagree and hug in a creepy fashion.

Everyone has their own opinion ^_^

15. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    "Name one aspect of Deus Ex that hasn't been surpassed by modern games."
    I haven't so far played any game that gives the RPG/FPS package so well, only SS2 rivals.

"Sophistication? That doesn't actually mean anything. You just used that term because Bioshock doesn't actually lack anything when compared to ancient games like Deus Ex."

LOL, again Bioshock is almost like an arcade game with limited freedom and a lot of holding the players hand throughout the game. It's relies also far more on scripts, overuses graphical hints so that the player knows what to do. It's for the console crowd, a 'mainstreamed' game which compared to SS2 is dumbed down. It's not the spiritual successor to SS2, more like its retarded little sister. In level design there is far less variation and the protect little sisters get's quickly old and you can instantly hear when the scripted attacks will occur.

"ME2 has issues but it's light years beyond Deus Ex. Offer anyone a copy of ME2 or Deus Ex and they will choose ME2. Why? Because ME2 is a solid entry in an excellent modern series and Deus Ex is a decade-old game that nobody wants to play anymore."
    Of course many will choose ME2. It's NEWER, and looks far better. That is the biggest reason.

But the gameplay is not nearly as fun. As yahtzee points out the best part of ME2 is the writing, but I am however not interested in over talkative space soap operas where I have to be a psychiatrist who solves every crew members silly boohoo problems.
    Be hurt in ME2 and all you need to is to take cover. Again the game is oversimplified for the console crowd...And one can tell that the levels are made just for taking cover, you can be sure that there will be enemies here and there. Besides, the 3rd person views gives ridiculous camera problems at times.

"That review is terrible, it's like an hour long and the guy sounds like an imbecile. I have no clue what it could have to do with modern games."
    It's voice acting as is the basement thing... and it's a devastating take-down of a crappy movie, much in the same way yahtzee is for games.

Older games are more like older SW movies, while new games are like Phantom Menace. Nicer looking, filled with effects and scream more of marketing.

"Deus Ex is a linear level-based game. In this way it is far less open-ended than Fallout 3.
    As far as Deus Ex "getting more creative in your gameplay," I don't know what that means. I don't see any facts in this argument, just vague musings about how great you perceive Deus Ex to be. "

Yes, it is linear. But with the level design, my weapons I can be one hell of a lot more creative in dealing with problems than in say B2 which again is almost like an arcade game. Take the level in DX just after Hell's Kitchen for instance, when the player is asked to take down the NSF generator in a building. There are many many ways to do this and many ways into the building. It's a far better sandbox type gameplay than Bioshock, ME and even F3 (even though its large open wasteland can at times give a lot of freedom).

16. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Take away the arrow in options and I don't see how it's so dumbed down. I wish I could buy system shock 2.

17. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Not enough. Take the recreation deck when you have to find a code in SS2. There are no missions in any of the BS games which are even remotely close to the complexity of SS2.

The camera system is an action-orientated version of the research function in SS2 which demanded a bit more mind-work from the player.

Hacking is far easier in BS than SS2.

The voice recordings from people seem far more directed at the player than in SS2 in which both the writing and voice acting made more sense.
    [...]

BS is a shallow shell of a game compared to SS2. There are tons of topics on this at ttlg.com if anyone is interested in reading.

18. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    I disagree with the recordings part, but it's your opinion lol. I tried to get this game once by.... other purposes, but felt bad and canceled the download lol. Is there anyway to get it?

19. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Hey Pete....what are your 5 best pc games

20. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    Did we seriously not clear this up when I mentioned Deus Ex is an RPG first and a shooter second? Mass Effect 2 has 10x more in common with Gears of War than Deus Ex. If not for the long-winded dialog sessions you'd never, ever hear anyone utter "Mass Effect 2" and "RPG" in the same sentence.